Overboost

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, clemo, Nige, Specky, Sy V, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman

Re: Overboost

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 07.01.2016, 20:19

lotusles wrote:I am in the process of fitting timing belt etc and would eventually like to fit a bigger bore exhaust to naturally increase bhp. Would I do any damage if I was to remove and ream out the waste gate now but not fit an exhaust until some time later?

Thanks

No. All you will be doing is removing the 'Achilles Heel' before it becomes a nuisance. As long as the flap valve still covers the enlarged wastegate port and you don't leave any swarf or abrasive material in the turbo it should be fine. Wastegate can't really be too big as the valve controls flow through it, but it can certainly be too small. There's a guide on Wikilec that HJ2 provided a link to on the first reply to the original post, so I won't repeat it here...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotusles » Thu 07.01.2016, 21:01

lotusflasherman wrote:
lotusles wrote:I am in the process of fitting timing belt etc and would eventually like to fit a bigger bore exhaust to naturally increase bhp. Would I do any damage if I was to remove and ream out the waste gate now but not fit an exhaust until some time later?

Thanks

No. All you will be doing is removing the 'Achilles Heel' before it becomes a nuisance. As long as the flap valve still covers the enlarged wastegate port and you don't leave any swarf or abrasive material in the turbo it should be fine. Wastegate can't really be too big as the valve controls flow through it, but it can certainly be too small. There's a guide on Wikilec that HJ2 provided a link to on the first reply to the original post, so I won't repeat it here...

Thank you, it was the original ,link that got me thinking :D
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby Elanlover » Thu 07.01.2016, 21:12

Thanks

I've yet to hear of any negative impact from porting the wastegate even if the standard bore exhaust is used. I believe you'll be just fine.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby rip » Fri 08.01.2016, 12:03

lotusflasherman wrote:

Thanks

:agree:

I am sure the wastegate would have been designed to open & close fully in normal operation. A larger wastegate should not need to open fully with a std exhaust but this should not be a problem.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Wallzaveerz » Wed 06.03.2019, 22:34

I've now experienced overboost. Had the car out for its first proper run last Sunday. Out at 8am in cold damp foggy weather. Any enthusiastic use of the throttle resulted in a lowered rev limit and the EML flashing. Going back home at noon when it had warmed and dried up considerably it was perfectly fine.
Wallzaveerz

Previous

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes