Help with vacuum hoses

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Help with vacuum hoses

Postby DavieBow » Tue 14.05.2019, 14:38

Hi Guys ,
could i get some advice on the correct routing for the vacuum hoses .
I'm not sure we connected them in the proper configuration when refitting the engine as i don't think my wastegate is opening .
i've found a diagram on here showing a closed loop set up , which i guess is for an S2 , mine is an early SE , non cat so not sure if its relevant.

I've taken some photo's so if i could get a few pointers off those that would be really helpful.

IMG_7945.jpg

IMG_7946.jpg

IMG_7947.jpg

IMG_7943.jpg

IMG_7951.jpg

IMG_7944.jpg

I'm pretty sure most are correct but would just like clarification if possible please ,
cheers
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elan SE , Mk1 Mx5, Celica GT4, Mk1 Golf Gti Cab,Vw Camper van, Audi RS6 avant, Ferrari 348
DavieBow
Enthusiast

Re: Help with vacuum hoses

Postby Simon_P » Tue 14.05.2019, 16:04

All looks good except I have no idea what the silver thing is or what it is called

The 2 small pipes from the intake. 1 goes to the oil separator your first picture is the other end. The he 2nd to the wastegate solenoid beneath and behind the air filter... Looks like that is what the silver thing is, which is in the wrong place.

Your second picture goes to the crankcase breather
Simon_P
God

Postby DavieBow » Tue 14.05.2019, 16:49

Thanks Simon ,
Everything you say ties up with how everything’s routed .
I have got a mountain chip and piper exhaust so I’m guessing that may explain the overboost / fuel cut off coming in , although I have had the turbo rebuilt and the wastegate ported , I wanted to make sure that we’d got the basics right before sending the turbo back for more porting .
Elan SE , Mk1 Mx5, Celica GT4, Mk1 Golf Gti Cab,Vw Camper van, Audi RS6 avant, Ferrari 348
DavieBow
Enthusiast

Postby Simon_P » Tue 14.05.2019, 17:00

You don't show the pipes for the wastegate actuator.
Do you know if it is working?

Edited they aren't vac pipes
Simon_P
God

Postby DavieBow » Tue 14.05.2019, 20:32

I’ve taken the turbo off to check the wastegate and see how much they’d ported it too .
We’d got the configuration of all the hoses correct apart from the 2 into the inlet as they were the wrong way round , not sure how much difference that would make to the performance but I’d be interested to know if someone can explain .
Outside of that we measured the wastegate port and it’s just over 19mm , it looks like a few of the other guys on here have had theres ported to 21mm so hopefully I’ll get that done at work over the next day or two and be back on the road Monday.
DavieBow
Enthusiast

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes