black oily residue on underside of turbo air inlet

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

black oily residue on underside of turbo air inlet

Postby 51mes » Fri 28.06.2019, 16:11

Hi,

Wonder if the experts around here would kindly help, had a little dig around the forum but couldn't see anything.

I'm currently looking for an Elan, and have been to see three cars - various states and prices both S2's and SE's.

The one thing they they all have in common is on underside of the air inlet pipe running from the air filter to the turbo there is a black sticky residue (burnt oil I believe) in varying amounts - but there on all three cars caught in the folds of the pipe. wrap your hand around the black plastic pipe by the jubilee clip by the turbo inlet and your fingers come away dirty with this residue..

One question - is this normal for an Elan (it doesn't feel like it should to me) and if not what is wrong?

Thanks,

Simon.
1974 MGB GTv8
2006 Honda S2000
2016 Jaguar XE-S
Looking for an M100
51mes

Re: black oily residue on underside of turbo air inlet

Postby Simon_P » Fri 28.06.2019, 18:06

The crankcase breather comes from the back of the engine to the oil separator on the end of the engine a rectangular aluminum box with a black screwed on lid just behind the CAS. From there oil drains into the cylinder head.

There is also a small pipe from the back of the aluminium box to a plastic fitting between the air filter and the pipe that you describe.

There is a PCV (crankcase vent) valve at the other end of the cam cover. The purpose of this valve is to let the air be sucked into the inlet normally and when the turbo kicks in to stop the pressure forcing the air the other way.

When the PCV valve closes the small pipe described above becomes the crankcase vent drawing oil vavours into the pipe that you describe.

So short answer is yes it is normal to have a little oil there.
Simon_P
God

Postby 51mes » Sat 29.06.2019, 15:20

Thanks Simon,

That's one thing I don't have to worry about...

Simon.
1974 MGB GTv8
2006 Honda S2000
2016 Jaguar XE-S
Looking for an M100
51mes

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 29.06.2019, 16:10

Just checked the two SE's I have in use and it's only 'road dirt' on mine, not oily at all - washed my hands with soap, Swarfega not required... :lol:

One is on 67k miles, t'other on 104k and both have Everest chips so boost is higher than factory and engine works harder ... the 104k SE has a bit of oil on the outside of the engine around the CAS so probably needs a new O ring, but generally all the oil stays in the engine.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Sat 29.06.2019, 19:15

Did you look at the inside of the pipe Phil?

Oil on the outside indicates that something is not fitted correctly.

Also the oil will be thick and black because it filters dirt out of the air.
Simon_P
God

Postby Simon_P » Sat 29.06.2019, 20:53

51mes wrote:Thanks Simon,

That's one thing I don't have to worry about...

Simon.

Unless there is a lot of oil or it is noticeably burning it.

Since 1967 cars in the UK have had to ingest their crankcase vapours so it has to go somewhere.
Simon_P
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 01.07.2019, 13:38

Simon_P wrote:Did you look at the inside of the pipe Phil?

The topic was actually about oil on the outside of that pipe - but Yes, I did, and it is clean as a whistle inside. Cleaner inside than it was outside. Oil inside the pipe at the turbo is usually a sign that the Oil Seperator isn't .. er .. seperating.. or the turbo bearings are worn..

Simon_P wrote: Also the oil will be thick and black because it filters dirt out of the air.

You've got me confused on that one ... in my air filter 'dustbin' I have an ITG oiled foam filter, rather than paper, and that filters (cool) air drawn from the NSF wheelarch and that is the only air that enters the engine, providing crankcase breathing as well. No idea where your 'dirt' is coming from..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Mon 01.07.2019, 16:21

lotusflasherman wrote:The topic was actually about oil on the outside of that pipe - but Yes, I did, and it is clean as a whistle inside. Cleaner inside than it was outside. Oil inside the pipe at the turbo is usually a sign that the Oil Seperator isn't .. er .. seperating.. or the turbo bearings are worn..
Hi Phil, you've missed off the next line of my post ... Oil on the outside.... I'm only trying to describe how it works (you are free to disagree) - It must by law draw in any remaining oil vapours so - if you don't have oil perhaps your crankcase your breather is blocked.
lotusflasherman wrote:ou've got me confused on that one ... in my air filter 'dustbin' I have an ITG oiled foam filter, rather than paper, and that filters (cool) air drawn from the NSF wheelarch and that is the only air that enters the engine, providing crankcase breathing as well. No idea where your 'dirt' is coming from..
. I was refering to the OP since you have an OIL loaded filter the dirt will be in the oil in your filter rather than the oil in the pipe so I think you are agreeing with me.
Simon_P
God

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes