vacuum pipe identification

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: vacuum pipe identification

Postby TorqueHorse » Wed 22.07.2020, 15:55

That's great news! I'm looking to do some of this too. Which diameters did you buy? And did you replace it all in-situ, or did you have the engine out?
TorqueHorse
Enthusiast

Postby scotlan » Wed 22.07.2020, 17:03

TorqueHorse wrote:That's great news! I'm looking to do some of this too. Which diameters did you buy? And did you replace it all in-situ, or did you have the engine out?

Hi Torquehorse, I bought 2 metres of 3mm and 2 metres of 4mm, but we reused used a small amount of the existing pipe so I suggest you get a bit more of each, you can buy it by the metre. I also bought 1 nylon hose repair connector 1/8" and 2 x 3/16. (why the same supplier used metric for pipe and imperial for the connector, I can't explain!). The 3mm pipe goes through the bulkhead to the heater direction controller so we joined it at the bulkhead with a connector. We took the wheel arch liner off to access the vacuum reservoir but you could use connectors there too. The liner needed to come off anyway to rectify a wiring fault but this is a pig of a job!

I bought the whole lot from Ebay "The Hosemaster" for £14.17 and a new elbow for the manifold from SJ

The engine was in.
scotlan
Enthusiast

Postby TorqueHorse » Thu 23.07.2020, 04:17

:goodposting: thx!
TorqueHorse
Enthusiast

Postby Alan M » Mon 31.08.2020, 15:22

195AD70B-A6D2-4BF5-93F9-43F760C20611.jpeg
From what I can work out I have one of the same hoses tied off as mentioned above. Can I just confirm the hose I’ve pointed to in the photo (borrowed from above) should go to a vacuum reservoir hidden behind the near side wheel arch liner? My heater appears to work, so does this need reconnecting?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan M

Postby scotlan » Mon 31.08.2020, 17:10

Alan M wrote:
From what I can work out I have one of the same hoses tied off as mentioned above. Can I just confirm the hose I’ve pointed to in the photo (borrowed from above) should go to a vacuum reservoir hidden behind the near side wheel arch liner? My heater appears to work, so does this need reconnecting?

Hi Alan M

I have checked my car. Where you have marked, the pipes come out of the bulkhead.

The upper one travels across the bulkhead and disappears into the N/S wing heading for the vacuum reservoir inside the wheel arch. It will control the air vents .

The lower pipe travels around the engine compartment and ends up at the water valve.I can only guess it should be reconnected.

These are shown in this post in pictures posted by dapinky on 10.05.20

Hope this helps
scotlan
Enthusiast

Postby Alan M » Mon 31.08.2020, 18:01

scotlan wrote:
Alan M wrote:

Hi Alan M

I have checked my car. Where you have marked, the pipes come out of the bulkhead.

The upper one travels across the bulkhead and disappears into the N/S wing heading for the vacuum reservoir inside the wheel arch. It will control the air vents .

The lower pipe travels around the engine compartment and ends up at the water valve.I can only guess it should be reconnected.

These are shown in this post in pictures posted by dapinky on 10.05.20

Hope this helps

It does in deed. From your info I have been able to find out what the heater valve looks like and where it should be. It appears a previous owner has decided to delete the heater valve and replace it with a piece of plastic pipe - something to add to my shopping list.
Alan M

Postby dapinky » Tue 01.09.2020, 08:53

Alan M wrote:..... It appears a previous owner has decided to delete the heater valve and replace it with a piece of plastic pipe - something to add to my shopping list.

Ah, the old 'Geoff Smith' remedy for the rusty/leaking heater valve (except he used copper pipe, and then replaced the valve at a later time!).

Remember that you are far better off buying the cheap plastic (non rusting!) Volvo valve instead of the expensive metal Lotus one.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Alan M » Tue 01.09.2020, 10:53

Thanks Dave

It explains why even on full cold there’s a little extra heat coming out of the vents I guess?

I’ve found ECP can get me the Volvo one for £23 which is just a little cheaper than Ebay.
Alan M

Previous

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes