Dump or Diverter valve?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: Dump or Diverter valve?

Postby Hector2021 » Mon 17.10.2022, 20:15

Happy conclusion to this thread now. I managed to get an original airbox from Matt at Lotusbits and fitted it this weekend. The mounting bracket that is sits on was still bolted to the front chassis leg and luckily hadnt been removed. It was flaky and rusty though so i removed it, cleaned it up and repainted it before refitting it. Its the first tech job ive had to do on the car and im learning fast that they can be challenging little creatures to work on. Not a lot of space to get the bolts off and back again. It takes some fettling to be able to get sockets onto the bolts and manage to clear all the rest of the bits in that area.
It sounds maybe 95% quieter now as a standard induction set up. I can still hear a bit of a flutter when i give it beans but im ok with that. I'll probably fit a diverter valve at some point and vent it into the airbox to completely quieten it.
Took the opportunity too to replace the rather withered looking seal/trim around the charge pipe where it enters the inside wing panel. I purchased one of the Healey Sprite fuel filler seals and it does a good job. It actually fits right around the pipe even though the flange makes it look like there is a gap.

Original Induction set up (with tired looking charge pipe seal):

New seal fitted:

Original Airbox finally back in situ:
NMY 1995 S2 No:490
Hector2021
Tinkerer

Postby Saltire » Tue 18.10.2022, 07:46

Excellent job! :clap:

They may be challenging little creatures, but what a sense of satisfaction when you get it done!
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2008 VW Golf Mk5 R32
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 08.11.2022, 15:05

Hector2021 wrote:Happy conclusion to this thread now. I managed to get an original airbox from Matt at Lotusbits and fitted it this weekend. The mounting bracket that is sits on was still bolted to the front chassis leg and luckily hadnt been removed. It was flaky and rusty though so i removed it, cleaned it up and repainted it before refitting it. Its the first tech job ive had to do on the car and im learning fast that they can be challenging little creatures to work on. Not a lot of space to get the bolts off and back again. It takes some fettling to be able to get sockets onto the bolts and manage to clear all the rest of the bits in that area.

buy a set of these.

https://www.bluespot.uk.com/bluespot-6- ... panner-set

i paid 35 for mine from ebay.
the reason i advise on the brand bluespot is because they did honor the lifetime warranty on mine when he 10mm failed.
a lot of people will claim to get something with a lifetime warranty, BUT very few actually put it to the test.... that 10mm has been used regularly for over 6 years before starting to fail. anyone who knows me knows my tools are not "men's jewlery"

after you start using these flexible head racheting spanners you will find that the elan is nowhere near as bad as people make it sound.

obviously. onse you start working on the car you will start completing your toolbox... i believe right now i have spend more money in tools than i have in parts for the elan.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Hector2021 » Tue 08.11.2022, 16:25

buy a set of these.

https://www.bluespot.uk.com/bluespot-6- ... panner-set

I do actually have the same set. Admittedly they came from the special isle in Aldi but they have proven to be surprisingly good quality.
What i would be interested in though is where you obtained the angled ratchet tool you used in your 'A pillar' panel removal video?
NMY 1995 S2 No:490
Hector2021
Tinkerer

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 09.11.2022, 12:10

their called right angle bits.

not inteded to be used with socket sets. but there are adapters to put 1/2 3/8 and 1/4 square drives in the normal "screwdriver bits.

these links shoudl give you enough information to make a purchase.
im not advocatiging to buy from these. just pointing out they are the same "things" but not from the same supplier/factory

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353413787842 ... R_icqMGLYQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175323986711 ... R-Ky-cCLYQ
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Previous