245 BHP for £1000 and perfect delivery!

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Re: 245 BHP for £1000 and perfect delivery!

Postby Sport Paolo » Sun 24.04.2016, 18:25

Simon, my set up is Piper 2 1/4" with hi flow cat but no pre cat, k&n drop in filter, mountain chip. The car never suffered boost creep no matter how hard it was driven. I then fitted a Bailey dump valve and whooooaaah, do I not like that. Not sure why but the dump valve has tipped it over the edge. Now looking at porting the waste gate. Thing is that if you are like me and look to improve gradually then at some point you will get over boost.
Sport Paolo

Re: 245 BHP for £1000 and perfect delivery!

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 24.04.2016, 21:01

Sport Paolo wrote:Simon, my set up is Piper 2 1/4" with hi flow cat but no pre cat, k&n drop in filter, mountain chip. The car never suffered boost creep no matter how hard it was driven. I then fitted a Bailey dump valve and whooooaaah, do I not like that. Not sure why but the dump valve has tipped it over the edge. Now looking at porting the waste gate. Thing is that if you are like me and look to improve gradually then at some point you will get over boost.

probably because the dump valve's purpose is to let the turbo keep spinning against a closed throttle (e.g braking into a corner) so when you go back on the throttle (e.g. as you see the exit from the corner) you're right back on useful boost without waiting for the boost pressure to start climbing from 'ground zero'. If you have an over-boost problem you're sure to get to it quicker with a dump valve :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Previous

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes