Strange item on boost sensing hose

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Strange item on boost sensing hose

Postby Paul Alexander » Wed 08.07.2015, 20:08

hi all,

tonight i adjusted the bonnet stops so my bonnet now shuts in a level position. as i looked down i saw what i thought was a sensor with a missing pipe. on the turbo assembly, item 16 (manual page 40.21A) is the boost sensing hose that connects from a circular part and this hose goes up to the top of the turbo.

my question is, is there meant to be some kind of sensor on this pipe, or does it just connect basically from top to bottom?

see picture below, the purple pipe at bottom of picture has a copper coloured hexagonal object in it, but at the end of the object is what also appears to be a pipe connector but no pipe.

engine 1.jpg

can i remove it, and fit new piping? or is it meant to be there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Alexander
Enthusiast

Re: Strange item on boost sensing hose

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 08.07.2015, 20:39

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Paul Alexander » Wed 08.07.2015, 20:45

yep. thats it geoff. cheers, but in that first picture from your link, you can see the two hoses (one each side), and you can just make out another hose connected at the bottom. i don't have anything connected there. have i got a missing hose?
Paul Alexander
Enthusiast

Postby ashm » Thu 09.07.2015, 17:19

it's just a controlled leak, so it works the same whether there's a hose at the bottom barb or not.
PS. when I say "works", I mean that in a loose sense. A MBC isn't a great way to get extra boost, particularly when we have the option of the Mountain Chips.
A
ashm
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 09.07.2015, 22:13

ashm wrote:it's just a controlled leak, so it works the same whether there's a hose at the bottom barb or not.
PS. when I say "works", I mean that in a loose sense. A MBC isn't a great way to get extra boost, particularly when we have the option of the Mountain Chips.
A

It's very cheap though! :lol:
Without being messed with my first SE boosted to .75 on the gauge and once hit the rev limiter in 5th - ouch... but the next one wouldn't get past .5 on the boost gauge so I fitted an inboard MBC on a blank switch panel (below the clock we can't see) so I could adjust it and keep an eye on the boost gauge - very difficult when the MBC is under the bonnet. My MBC was an aluminium air flow regulator for an aquarium and cost about £7 plus a length of tube and a 'T' connector. I read somewhere that the mapping was OK to about .95 but fitted an LED Air/Fuel Monitor so I could see what was going on at higher boosts. It worked well until I fitted a Quicksilver Supersports exhaust and found the wastegate then needed porting - still needs doing as I put it on SORN while I worked on a contract in Lincolnshire for 2 years and couldn't stop myself buying an L reg SE with only 43k miles I saw while I was up there and that's currently my daily runabout... :bonk:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Thu 01.10.2015, 21:20

I always wondered what that thing was. Presumably it would need to be removed along with the FCD (if there is one) before an Everest chip is installed.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 01.10.2015, 21:24

Correct.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby epipete » Fri 02.10.2015, 04:59

The routing is a bit messy, iirc mostly it is routed under the air intake pipe, over the heater valve and around to the back of the plenum where there is a blank (unused) nipple for it to connect to. You'd then remove the unnecessary 't' and reconnect the original pipe. This would tidy things up a bit.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes