recommend me a recirculating dump valve

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: recommend me a recirculating dump valve

Postby tigerdog » Sat 18.03.2017, 16:22

Scott wrote: how could we possibly use a group VAG item and such a valve for TSI engines?


If the issue is philosophical, then you probably can never make a good case for it. If your concern is whether the part will work, that's only going to be proven by experimentation. In California, where I live, anything that looks non-factory is enough to fail an emissions inspection, even if the car passes with flying colours. Therefore, I'm looking for the most stock, dull, ugly, factory-look part that will do the job.

Doug
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
User avatar
tigerdog
God
 
Posts: 2593
Joined: Tue 20.03.2007, 09:07
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Re: recommend me a recirculating dump valve

Postby rip » Sun 19.03.2017, 20:44

tigerdog wrote: In California, where I live, anything that looks non-factory is enough to fail an emissions inspection, even if the car passes with flying colours.

Doug

How frustrating.
1990 SE
User avatar
rip
God
 
Posts: 5772
Joined: Sun 08.04.2007, 07:48
Location: Milton Keynes, UK

Re: recommend me a recirculating dump valve

Postby Scott » Mon 20.03.2017, 06:21

tigerdog wrote:
Scott wrote: how could we possibly use a group VAG item and such a valve for TSI engines?


If the issue is philosophical, then you probably can never make a good case for it. If your concern is whether the part will work, that's only going to be proven by experimentation. In California, where I live, anything that looks non-factory is enough to fail an emissions inspection, even if the car passes with flying colours. Therefore, I'm looking for the most stock, dull, ugly, factory-look part that will do the job.

Doug


So does it do the job this valve?
1998 BMW 316 E36 Coupe
2001 Volvo S40 1.6
1991 Lotus Elan M100 Turbo
2004 Ducati Monster 620ie

''L.O.T.U.S - Let OThers UnderSteering''
User avatar
Scott
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue 14.06.2011, 17:45
Location: Athens - Greece

Re: recommend me a recirculating dump valve

Postby dapinky » Mon 20.03.2017, 11:15

Scott wrote:So does it do the job this valve?


Yes - the valve (Forge, Bailey) are the same specifications/dimensions as the VW item and will work just as well (won't look so 'blingy') but will work!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
User avatar
dapinky
LEC Administrator
 
Posts: 8155
Joined: Sun 15.10.2006, 12:54
Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: recommend me a recirculating dump valve

Postby Scott » Tue 21.03.2017, 14:11

dapinky wrote:
Scott wrote:So does it do the job this valve?


Yes - the valve (Forge, Bailey) are the same specifications/dimensions as the VW item and will work just as well (won't look so 'blingy') but will work!


In the end you don't recommend the PNM's one?
1998 BMW 316 E36 Coupe
2001 Volvo S40 1.6
1991 Lotus Elan M100 Turbo
2004 Ducati Monster 620ie

''L.O.T.U.S - Let OThers UnderSteering''
User avatar
Scott
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue 14.06.2011, 17:45
Location: Athens - Greece

Re: recommend me a recirculating dump valve

Postby bbjon » Tue 21.03.2017, 16:18

The Bosch (or pattern) recirc valve that's on Vag stuff and Saabs and others is a flapper (diaphragm) valve but works just as well as the shiny billet ones (I have seen tests showing the flapper type react faster). I've also run 400+ bhp Saabs using them with no problems.

They're also cheap - if you want a dump valve pop one of these in and see what you think - you can always change to a billet one later. If you want to know if you want an atmospheric or recirc then just pull the recirc pipe off.

The PNM one is handy in that it's a complete kit of parts - but they aren't special 'lotus' parts and are available elsewhere.
User avatar
bbjon
Tinkerer
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun 15.05.2016, 14:01
Location: Waddingham

Previous

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests