Turbo Not boosting fully

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Re: Turbo Not boosting fully

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 08.06.2016, 10:00

HJ2 wrote:Perhaps the turbine is stuck on stickey goo from a tiny tiny oil leak that accumulated over time.
Well, Mine was and had the same symptoms...

Took inlet pipe off turbo to reconnect waste gate so have checked that. Turbo spins freely and not oily. Car has only done 48k miles so most things in pretty good condition but is 23 years old.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby HJ2 » Wed 08.06.2016, 12:14

You'll have to check the exhaust side (where the turbine is) to be sure.
My turbo slowly started to degrade in performance / boost over weeks / months of time.
It spun freely when rotated by hand, but was very defective.
Looky here:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=25030
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 08.06.2016, 15:00

HJ2 wrote:You'll have to check the exhaust side (where the turbine is) to be sure.
My turbo slowly started to degrade in performance / boost over weeks / months of time.
It spun freely when rotated by hand, but was very defective.
Looky here:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=25030

My boost just started playing up and was coming back to normal sometimes, but isn't anymore...

I saw your thread and commented "Thanks for a great 'presentation'. Must have taken you twice as long to do the job with all those photos at every stage ....
I've got a spare turbo to do a waste gate porting job and rebuild on before I swap it for the original to repeat the exercise on. I'll be able to do that with a lot more confidence now... :clap: :clap: :clap:"

Perhaps I ought to get on with that turbo and do a swap. That would eliminate the turbo as a source of the problem...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Previous

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes