Forge or Bailey Dump Valve

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Forge or Bailey Dump Valve

Postby Artaban » Thu 02.02.2017, 11:43

Recent discussions have made me look into the subject of dump valves again and I understand that its pretty much between Forge and Bailey. It seems the Bailey valve DV30 was not easy to get but I did a quick search on eBay and theres new ones being sold for £95.99 + postage albeit with a 2-3 week delay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180675743434? ... EBIDX%3AIT
The Bailey website http://www.baileymotorsport.co.uk/PDF/2 ... alogue.pdf lists the Lotus Elan SE as needing the DV24 + FK90 fitting kit, presumably because the DV24 only "dumps" not "re-circulates" like the DV30. Would the DV30 also need the FK90 fitting kit? Would it need anything else on top of any fitting kit?

The Forge DV008 http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Turbo_ ... --756.html is more expensive (£130.33) but can be serviced and would need some sort of fitting kit. What else is needed to fit the Forge and where can I get it?

The problem is I've never seen a dump valve in the flesh only in pics of peoples engine bays so I don't really know how they fit and what goes where. Finally, if money was no object, which would you choose Bailey DV30 or Forge DV008.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Re: Forge or Bailey Dump Valve

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 02.02.2017, 16:42

Artaban wrote:Recent discussions have made me look into the subject of dump valves again and I understand that its pretty much between Forge and Bailey. It seems the Bailey valve DV30 was not easy to get but I did a quick search on eBay and theres new ones being sold for £95.99 + postage albeit with a 2-3 week delay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180675743434? ... EBIDX%3AIT
The Bailey website http://www.baileymotorsport.co.uk/PDF/2 ... alogue.pdf lists the Lotus Elan SE as needing the DV24 + FK90 fitting kit, presumably because the DV24 only "dumps" not "re-circulates" like the DV30. Would the DV30 also need the FK90 fitting kit? Would it need anything else on top of any fitting kit?

The Forge DV008 http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Turbo_ ... --756.html is more expensive (£130.33) but can be serviced and would need some sort of fitting kit. What else is needed to fit the Forge and where can I get it?

The problem is I've never seen a dump valve in the flesh only in pics of peoples engine bays so I don't really know how they fit and what goes where. Finally, if money was no object, which would you choose Bailey DV30 or Forge DV008.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Andy

Well, I've got a Bailey DV30 on both my SE's but these days they seem virtually unobtainable. Told today that Bailey are involved in aerospace work and car stuff is currently on 3 months plus back order. Forge is an option but Dave Pink is the man for advice on those. Cheap ones from ebay is another consideration.

I bought my first DV30 in 2001 by calling in at Bailey's when I was working on a contract that involved driving past a farm north of Royston and seeing a sign that said "Bailey Motorsport". They supplied the full kit (FK90 plus extra bits to feed into the air filter drum) and showed me what was involved in fitting it - though Dave Pink has a better way of using a spare vacuum connector rather than the 'T' piece they supplied (see below). They gave me a choice of colours so I had blue to match my Pacific Blue car.

When I bought another PB SE in 2013 I immediately wanted to add a DV30 and started trying to contact Baileys. Whilst their price list was dated 2013 (and still is!) the phone number gave me "The number you have dialled has not been recognized" and I was unable to trace them. Drove past some months later and sign had gone so assumed they'd moved. The guy at Racemodz on ebay said over 6 months back order for DV30 but I found a FK90 fitting kit on ebay that I fitted and made up the extra connectors to the filter so I could 'borrow' the DV30 from the SE on SORN. Shortly after I was lucky enough to spot a used DV30 on ebay that I got for a reasonable price and it was blue.. :bananasex: I've kept an eye out for them since but they seem as scarce as rockinghorse poo these days.

Dump valves have the same 25mm O.D. so fitting kits are car specific rather than DV specific. The Bailey FK90 has the big ali tube with T to insert into the rubber hose to plenum, a couple of hose clips, a length of small bore pipe, T connector and the short length of hose & clips. It's for the DV24 that vents to atmosphere - very noisy, very annoying in my opinion. For the DV30 you'll need another short bit of 25mm I.D hose, clips, and a 'tophat' connector to fit with the rim inside the air filter drum. Racemodz says he can supply a FK90 fitting kit for just under £40. I believe I've seen a post that Enright used plastic tubes from a plumbing merchant several years ago - cheaper and as no heat involved why not?

However, you can get the main 57mm ali T piece here for £17 57Mm-2-1/4-Od-Aluminium-Alloy-Bov-T-Piece-Pipe-Hose-/290487651870and a few jubilee clips and extra bits of hose won't cost a lot more.
Also an RDV here for £27..25MM-UNIVERSAL-TURBO-BOV-DIVERTER-RECIRCULATING-RECIRC-DUMP-BLOW-OFF-BOV-VALVE-/191941599950
or you can gamble on £17 from Hong Kong 25mm-Adjustable-Alloy-Turbo-Dump-Blow-Off-Valve- but it may take ages and the postman may have an import duty payment to collect.

I had to make my own tophat connector by buying a blanking plug Aluminium-Alloy-Hose-Blanking-Plug-Bung-Silver and drilling it out. Add a short length of 25mm silicon hose and 4 jubille clips and small bore silicon hose and you'll have all you need to give it a go.

Top 2 photos shows the RDV in situ feeding into the air filter drum. Tophat inside shown in first photo, connecting hose outside shown in 2nd.

dv30 01.jpg

dv30 02.jpg

This is the Baileys recommendation for the control tube T off but I didn't like the tube trailing around on top so on both my cars I fed mine in with the plug leads and through a hole I drilled that I thought was pretty neat...
dv30 t.jpg

until Dave Pink pointed out a spare vac take off much closer which would be even neater ... :banghead:
dv30 t2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Thu 02.02.2017, 19:23

lotusflasherman wrote:...... Forge is an option but Dave Pink is the man for advice on those.........

I think you credit me with too much, Phil!

I used tio have Bailey valves on both of mine - a DV24 on the red one, and DV30 on the blue one......

It was only when i decided that the valve may not have been performing perfectly (I got it S/H and it isn't 'user servicable') that i decided to get a new one (the DV24 went with the red car, leaving me just the DV30).

I couldn't get a new Bailey, so started to look for an alternative - there are plenty out there, as many units for a Volvo/Saab/Audi etc have the same fittings/dimensions.

I decided that I wanted a 'good' one, so discounted the cheapo ebay stuff of unknown parentage. Other forums seemed to rate the Forge highly, and I had previous knowledge of their 007 valve (now superceded with the 008) as being dependable, adjustable (by changing spring rates) and servicable.

In a perfect world I'd be looking at a genuine Greddy unit, but as they are a flange fitting, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as easy to fit to my current pipework.

I can't say that I've had any issues with the Forge, but then I didn't with the Bailey, either (except age catching up with it!).

Had I been able to buy a DV30 'off the shelf' I wouldn't even have looked elsewhere, but that isn't to say that they are better than the 008.

PS - there are a whole host of posts on the internet about other units (OE stuff) which work just as well, but are plastic and not very blingy ;-) - that said, I went for 'stealth black' anyway, 'cos I'm not too worried about what it looks like!!!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Artaban » Thu 02.02.2017, 22:39

Phil, Thanks for such a detailed reply (with pics) which is a great help. I might gamble with the eBay one as presumably the worst that can happen is I lose some boost? Would it be just a straight swap over to the Forge if it doesn't seem to work?
Dave, I don't really have the patience to wait for Bailey to get around to supplying one as actual delivery time always seem to be double what they quote.

Thanks for both your help, I'll start ordering tomorrow.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Scott » Sun 12.02.2017, 16:18

Does Elan really needs a dump/blow off valve? I mean could we avoid it or is a must for our car's safety and longlasting?
Also which one should we get? From trusted sellers only PNM does have a dump valve kit
1998 BMW 316 E36 Coupe
2001 Volvo S40 1.6
1991 Lotus Elan M100 Turbo
2004 Ducati Monster 620ie

''L.O.T.U.S - Let OThers UnderSteering''
Scott
Enthusiast

Postby Elanlover » Sun 12.02.2017, 16:28

Its not a must by any means. Most cars with turbos aren't built with a dump valve already inline. There's a belief that it takes some strain off the turbo when you suddenly throttle off but I've never seen anything that might be considered a "scientific" study that documents and proves its usefulness by providing any sort of measurement.

I doubt the car would suffer much without one.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Scott » Mon 13.02.2017, 06:45

Then why should we buy an item that has to modify some parts inside engine, interfere and yet no proven results? Even scientific factory ones. I am just a step before buying one, but I really try to understand what's going on also with the ''types'' of those.
1998 BMW 316 E36 Coupe
2001 Volvo S40 1.6
1991 Lotus Elan M100 Turbo
2004 Ducati Monster 620ie

''L.O.T.U.S - Let OThers UnderSteering''
Scott
Enthusiast

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes