Window regulater repair

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Window regulater repair

Postby harvey » Mon 15.05.2017, 20:02

Hi, recently my drivers window failed after removing the regulater unit I discovered the bowden cable had destroyed itself and wound into the gearbox, is there anybody out there who is able to replace this cable for me as I do not feel comfortable tackling this myself..? I am of course prepared to pay the going rate for the repair work to be completed.
Any fool can make things complicated, but it takes a genius to make things simple.
harvey

Re: Window regulater repair

Postby Artaban » Mon 15.05.2017, 22:47

If nobody on the forum volunteers then I suggest PNM Engineering in Wallasey. They did an excellent job on mine after I failed doing my own repair. They have a box of bits if it turns out to be more than just a new cable required.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby roy666 » Mon 15.05.2017, 22:57

Hi Harvey, there is plenty of info on how to fix your regulator in the Windows section and although it looks a bit daunting, it’s not that difficult; a little tricky in places. I’ve done it 4 times now, namely because my first attempts failed – ferules on the end of the new wires sheared, used the wrong size wires, etc. Apart from refurbishing an original regulator motor, which are pretty naff really, although it’s still working now, I installed a Peugeot 405 regulator, which works a treat. The 405 window is so smooth where as the original motor still has that ridiculous jerk every time you use it. Problem is you need to get in there to see how bad everything is; your wires are bound to be unusable again. I’m in Lincolnshire or I gladly give you a hand, but there must be someone local who can help. Send me a PM if you want to chat. Mike
roy666
Tinkerer

Postby clemo » Fri 19.05.2017, 20:22

sorry i can't really add anything .
But the 405's sounds an interesting solution .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby harvey » Sat 20.05.2017, 17:14

I am interested in fitting the peugout 405 regulators to my car, in the hope that they will run smoother than the originals, is this an straight replacement or are there any tricky mods that need to be performed, I have seen new ones available online for around £70 and this seemed reasonable to me? harvey.
Any fool can make things complicated, but it takes a genius to make things simple.
harvey

Postby clemo » Sat 20.05.2017, 21:00

harvey wrote:I am interested in fitting the peugout 405 regulators to my car, in the hope that they will run smoother than the originals, is this an straight replacement or are there any tricky mods that need to be performed, I have seen new ones available online for around £70 and this seemed reasonable to me? harvey.

go down you local scrap yard and it should be £10 . and you could nick the petrol release and fit it to your boot .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Return to Doors and Windows