Side window bonded plate removal method

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Side window bonded plate removal method

Postby Steve A » Fri 17.11.2017, 16:19

:banghead: I have removed my side window (as you do) and noticed I have a slider missing :roll:
To repair the problem I need to remove the metal plate that is bonded to he glass.
I've tried the "stanley knife method" but this has had little to no impact :roll:
Any idea's that doesn't involve smashing the glass :chair: will be appreciated. :poke:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Re: Side window bonded plate removal method

Postby dapinky » Fri 17.11.2017, 18:48

Unless it is totally knackered, there is no need to remove the bonded plate from the glass - the plastic 'pillar' screws on, and the slider screws to that.

(and if you do need to remove the bonded bit, I havent got a clue - when my window smashed, the only intact glass was what was bonded to the back of the plate, so it's fairly well stuck!)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Steve A » Fri 17.11.2017, 19:18

dapinky wrote:Unless it is totally knackered, there is no need to remove the bonded plate from the glass - the plastic 'pillar' screws on, and the slider screws to that.

(and if you do need to remove the bonded bit, I havent got a clue - when my window smashed, the only intact glass was what was bonded to the back of the plate, so it's fairly well stuck!)

It would seem at some point the pillar screw has sheared almost flush with the plate, which is why I didn't realise there should be a pillar and slider there.
Is the pillar screwed from the back or is there a stud welded to the plate?
Steve A
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 17.11.2017, 19:55

Unfortunately, it is a stud welded (only 2 blobs, but enough!) to the plate, which is then bonded in place.

I'm fairly sure that I wouldn't want to try and weld something in situ, or drill the glass to fit a set-screw through the whole lot for fear of causing the glass to turn into a 1,000,001 piece jigsaw puzzle.

I think that the stress placed on that particular 'pivot' point in normal use will mean that an epoxy glue won't hold for very long.

All I can think of is a word with a local windscreen fitting company to see if they can use a 'cheesewire' to try and get the plate away from the glass so a repair can be made, and then re-bond it on......

.... then it is a risk of breaking the glass vs leaving it well alone (unless you have a spare glass available).

When Pete (Epipete) had a problem it was the other way round - the plate rusted so much that it came off the glass - I gave all my 'spare' bits to him to use as he could, and he cobled together a repair......... the point being that (although it may seem extreme), maybe it would be possible to sacrifice the plate with some chemical treatment, thus retaining the glass intact, and just replace it with a piece of suitable stainless steel cut to shape???? (not sugesting it could be easy, but just floating thoughts).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Steve A » Fri 17.11.2017, 20:14

:D thanks for your thoughts.
My neighbour has a windscreen business he should have some ideas :wink:
failing hat some kind o chemical soak.
I can easily make a new plate weld etc
Steve A
God

Postby Steve A » Sat 18.11.2017, 13:12

I had an informative chat with my neighbour and he told me that:
Getting the plate off wouldn't be too much of a problem (they use a long sharp knife, cheese wire wouldn't work as it's too thick).
The problem would then be sticking it back on and the bond lasting any length of time, a day, a week etc.
The glue they used to stick windscreens used to contain carbon which was good for bonding to glass,
this is no longer the case (elf n safety) , which is why on modern cars you see have a black edge around the glass, it's used as apart of the bonding process.
I would be better off sticking whatever I needed onto the plate itself.
Steve A
God

Postby Steve A » Sat 18.11.2017, 18:12

Steve A wrote:I had an informative chat with my neighbour and he told me that:
Getting the plate off wouldn't be too much of a problem (they use a long sharp knife, cheese wire wouldn't work as it's too thick).
The problem would then be sticking it back on and the bond lasting any length of time, a day, a week etc.
The glue they used to stick windscreens used to contain carbon which was good for bonding to glass,
this is no longer the case (elf n safety) , which is why on modern cars you see have a black edge around the glass, it's used as apart of the bonding process.
I would be better off sticking whatever I needed onto the plate itself.

I'm looking to make a slider boss from aluminium and sticking that to the plate because that would have a better chance than nylon, that's the easy bit.
Finding a suitable glue AND somewhere who sells it not so easy :roll:
Steve A
God

Postby Jamie N » Sat 18.11.2017, 20:12

Have a look on the Loctite website Steve, lots of options on there, this link will take you there, its for Loctite 319 which I have used to good effect ...http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.h ... 2624012289 , only buy Loctite stuff from a reputable supplier as I have heard there are fake Loctite products especially on the auction site, you know the one, whether its true I don't know for certain but better to be aware of the possibility.

Many people recommend UV cured glue for glass, might be worth looking into that, or ask your neighbour what he would use.

Personally if I am bonding glass as long as its not a visible part I always roughen the surface to give the adhesive something to grip, can be a dangerous thing to do so I am not advocating you do it or offering advice as to how, merely mentioning it! :D .
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Steve A » Mon 20.11.2017, 09:46

I was looking at Loctite Epoxy weld https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k ,
however whilst you can buy it in the US for about $6 in the UK it's £50 :shock: what's that all about :roll:
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 20.11.2017, 12:28

Lotus used Betaseal which is a Dow Chemical product. Uses cleaner, primer & adhesive and still available but kits are enough to do a windscreen and once opened won't keep so that will be pricey too.
Have you thought about going to a local windscreen replacement company and asking them to clean it and dab a bit of glue on for 'beer money' ?
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Jamie N » Mon 20.11.2017, 14:41

Steve A wrote:I was looking at Loctite Epoxy weld https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k ,
however whilst you can buy it in the US for about $6 in the UK it's £50 :shock: what's that all about :roll:

Often you will see items at way over the top "buy it now" prices Steve, the theory is that the person selling it is out of stock so they up the price in order to keep their listing running until they have more stock, and in the meantime if anyone is crazy enough to buy it, the seller buys whatever product it is and can afford to pay full retail then sends it the customer.

Just type "Ebay massively inflated buy it now prices" in Google, stacks of stories about it.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Steve A » Mon 20.11.2017, 16:08

Jamie N wrote:
Steve A wrote:I was looking at Loctite Epoxy weld https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k ,

Often you will see items at way over the top "buy it now" prices Steve, the theory is that the person selling it is out of stock so they up the price in order to keep their listing running until they have more stock, and in the meantime if anyone is crazy enough to buy it, the seller buys whatever product it is and can afford to pay full retail then sends it the customer.

Just type "Ebay massively inflated buy it now prices" in Google, stacks of stories about it.

This was just comparing Amazon US against Amazon UK
Steve A
God

Postby Jamie N » Mon 20.11.2017, 17:42

Another multi-scam International outfit then :D . As for the ebay ones I have seen the Loctite gel sitting at 4 quid and a couple of listings down the exact same product for 90 quid. :!:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby CalElan » Mon 27.11.2017, 19:49

I'd be happy to post some on at cost.. if that helps..
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Steve A » Mon 27.11.2017, 20:13

CalElan wrote:

I'd be happy to post some on at cost.. if that helps..

:D Hi CalElan
Thanks for the offer, but as you will see in my other post I've found a glue to do the job :cheers:
Steve A
God

Return to Doors and Windows