Window jams

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

Window jams

Postby fillpoke » Sat 31.03.2018, 12:00

I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me with a problem which is really'doing my head in'. My driver's door window refused to come up. It would go down ok and the motor's working fine. It seemed to be jamming at the bottom rear. I've taken everything to bits - glass out, slider channels out, motor and regulator out and checked everything. All seemed fine so I refitted it all, using new small round rollers in the four white sliders. So everything back together and I tried it. Exactly the same - sticking at bottom rear. So basically I'm stuck! Any ideas?
fillpoke
Tinkerer

Re: Window jams

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 31.03.2018, 15:02

Re-align the channels maybe? Can you disconnect the glass from the motor mechanism and slide it up and down by hand? It should go smoothly by hand or the motor will have no chance of getting it up ....
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 31.03.2018, 15:46

My off side (RH) window motor would easily lower the window but never raise it. I scrounged a replacement regulator expecting it to be fubar but found the main slider was cracked in a way that you couldn't see it and going down it remained in the proper position. When going up, it twisted in the channel which basically locked it and I had to give is serious help to get it to raise. I am just now reassembling the doors after the rear body repair and repaint and the original regulator is working fine now that I replaced the center slider.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Steve A » Sat 31.03.2018, 20:05

:D I've recently gone through this so I share your pain this might help you viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18679&start=60
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby fillpoke » Mon 02.04.2018, 20:34

Thanks for the replies and advice. I've at least got some things I can try now. All I need is some dry weather (some hope at the moment!). The car is in a narrow lock up garage which is not wide enough to allow the door to open very wide. So work of this type needs to be done outside on a dry day. Here's hoping.....!
fillpoke
Tinkerer

Postby alan e » Mon 02.04.2018, 21:12

Good luck not with doing the job but the dry day :D
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby fillpoke » Tue 03.04.2018, 21:01

Thanks Allan - not looking promising at the moment!
fillpoke
Tinkerer

Postby fillpoke » Thu 05.04.2018, 20:28

Well at last we've had a dry day and I've been able to get on with the job. Took the window runners out and gave them a good clean to remove all old grease. Cleaned the four white sliders. Sprayed everything with PTFE spray. This was too thin and just ran off. So then lubricated everything liberally with Vaseline. This seemed much better. Replaced the runners but left them loose. Refitted window which then slid up and down the runners freely by hand. Nipped the runners up and checked window still moved by hand - it did. Fully tightened the runners and checked again window was free - yes it was. So connected up window with butterfly and operated the switch. Worked fine! Just got to finally box everything up tomorrow - hope it stays dry.......!
fillpoke
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 05.04.2018, 21:00

fillpoke wrote:Well at last we've had a dry day and I've been able to get on with the job. Took the window runners out and gave them a good clean to remove all old grease. Cleaned the four white sliders. Sprayed everything with PTFE spray. This was too thin and just ran off. So then lubricated everything liberally with Vaseline. This seemed much better. Replaced the runners but left them loose. Refitted window which then slid up and down the runners freely by hand. Nipped the runners up and checked window still moved by hand - it did. Fully tightened the runners and checked again window was free - yes it was. So connected up window with butterfly and operated the switch. Worked fine! Just got to finally box everything up tomorrow - hope it stays dry.......!

:clap: success!
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Return to Doors and Windows