Door window fails to operate correctly. Diagnosis & Repair

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Re: Door window fails to operate correctly. Diagnosis & Repa

Postby Giniw » Tue 09.10.2018, 22:43

Really? Shucks, maybe I am wrong after all, I edited my post above to add a further warning ... Sorry.
Giniw
God

Postby muley » Wed 10.10.2018, 07:51

Another cautionary note..

If/when the window glass is not connected to the butterfly clip it can drop down quickly... ..quickly enough to shatter when it hits the bottom of the door.

Rgds

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby Saltire » Wed 10.10.2018, 08:37

Giniw wrote:Really? Shucks, maybe I am wrong after all, I edited my post above to add a further warning ... Sorry.

Perhaps it’s an SE to S2 ‘improvement’ :D After all, the switches are in different places, so who’s to say the wiring isn’t different as well?

muley wrote:Another cautionary note..

If/when the window glass is not connected to the butterfly clip it can drop down quickly... ..quickly enough to shatter when it hits the bottom of the door.

I seem to remember seeing a post somewhere on here which suggested putting a block of closed cell foam in the bottom of the door when rebuilding, to mitigate this risk. Sounds a sensible idea.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby Steve A » Wed 10.10.2018, 08:50

I've got 2X closed cell blocks in the bottom of my doors and I would highly recommend anyone who takes their door apart doing the same
it will stop the nylon centre guide from destroying it'self, every time the guide goes down it hit's the metal frame which eventually brakes the bottom off.
Both of mine were broken in the same way.
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Kathryn » Wed 10.10.2018, 13:38

More top tips! Thanks! My biggest worry is the glass dropping or even breaking, but I figured I’d still have an open window so not too much worse a situation! The cars still driveable, which is why I don’t mind having a go at things like this.

As for the switch I think Jonathan is right. Although I’ve had the car four and a half years and still get it wrong 50% of the time!
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 10.10.2018, 13:50

You could always try the switch for the other side? They should be wired the same way...
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Kathryn » Wed 10.10.2018, 17:48

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:You could always try the switch for the other side? They should be wired the same way...

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to do!
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby muley » Wed 10.10.2018, 19:52

All the S2's I've had (4!) have been wired illogically (concave shut ~ convex open)

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
muley

Postby Giniw » Wed 10.10.2018, 21:10

Meanwhile ... I do hope Kathryn still has 10 fingers! It's been a few hours she hasn't posted here already! :? :-D
Giniw
God

Postby Kathryn » Wed 10.10.2018, 21:14

muley wrote:All the S2's I've had (4!) have been wired illogically (concave shut ~ convex open)

Jim

So is mine! Giniw was right after all! That seems illogical to me too.

I’ve not had much luck btw. I’ll update later, I going to try and view the videos to get more of an idea what I’m looking at!
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Kathryn » Wed 10.10.2018, 21:15

And Giniw posted as I was! All fingers intact! The glass didn’t drop, it didn’t go up either!
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Wed 10.10.2018, 21:36

Kathryn wrote:And Giniw posted as I was! All fingers intact! The glass didn’t drop, it didn’t go up either!

So what is broken then the actual motor ?

EDIT can you hear the motor ?
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Kathryn » Thu 11.10.2018, 14:45

The motor is working (if I haven’t burnt it out by the time I’ve finished!)
The glass is catching on the door. I found a little bobbin(?? - don’t want to call it the wrong thing and confuse matters) in the bottom of the door.
I though the glass might wiggle but it doesn’t.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby muley » Thu 11.10.2018, 15:13

As you say, butterfly looks intact and in position.

When my window jammed (well, one of the two I had!) it was caused by the slider coming off the window glass due to the slider pillar shearing off... Have you tried (gently) pushing the window glass towards and away the guide rails whilst operating the switch?

Jim
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
muley

Postby Steve A » Thu 11.10.2018, 15:48

muley wrote:As you say, butterfly looks intact and in position.

When my window jammed (well, one of the two I had!) it was caused by the slider coming off the window glass due to the slider pillar shearing off... Have you tried (gently) pushing the window glass towards and away the guide rails whilst operating the switch?

Jim

:shock: watch those fingers
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Kathryn » Thu 11.10.2018, 20:02

THE WINDOW IS UP! :banana: I think it should go about 1/4 inch further, but I’ve had my Dad pulling the glass and it won’t go.
On the advice of the legendary Dave Pink, I loosened the bolts at the bottom of the runner allowing it to be pulled away from the door slightly. It’s not running smoothly and still getting caught, but I have achieved my aim of closing the window! 8)
I’m not going to touch the switch until I get it fixed! (And hope I don’t hit a pothole and the glass drop!) :lol:

Thanks all for your help and advice! You’ve all been great! :cheers:
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Thu 11.10.2018, 20:14

What you need is to pop down to Hethel - I hear there’s a very good Elan window clinic there . . .
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 11.10.2018, 20:50

Glad it's (temporarily) sorted :D

[for those who wonder where my help came from, it was being done in 'real time' on Facebook - I know FB isn't everyones cup of tea (and I respect that), and whilst this forum is a brilliant 'hub' and archive of information, there are some things which are far easier on social media - like adding pictures, videos etc and getting quick responses. Maybe you can't see the point in the 'duplication', but on an issue like this, it has been the best way forward (well, obviously the best way would be a personal visit with tools in hand, but in reality, this was the best we could do). I can't see FB ever replacing this type of forum, but it certainly helps suplement it...... the only 'issue' is which Facebook Group to start a discussion in.... it can be a bit like the "Judean Peoples Front" {for anyone who doesn't know what I'm on about with that reference - where have you been????}..... and the confusing bit is seeing peoples names which are often different to the user name on here - it can take a while to work out who is making what comments :? ]
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Kathryn » Thu 11.10.2018, 21:11

Saltire wrote:What you need is to pop down to Hethel - I hear there’s a very good Elan window clinic there . . .

I was there! Unfortunately I missed most of it because I was having way too much fun on the track and when I got back nearly everyone had left!
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Kathryn » Thu 11.10.2018, 21:15

I only posted on the Facebook page because I wanted to show some photos, and happily, it helped. :D
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Doors and Windows