Door window fails to operate correctly. Diagnosis & Repair

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: Door window fails to operate correctly. Diagnosis & Repa

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 11.10.2018, 21:44

Kathryn wrote:
Saltire wrote:What you need is to pop down to Hethel - I hear there’s a very good Elan window clinic there . . .

I was there! Unfortunately I missed most of it because I was having way too much fun on the track and when I got back nearly everyone had left, including the Kitty Fiddler with my mug and hood repair patches in his boot!

Tidied… :oops:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Kathryn » Tue 13.11.2018, 15:52

An update. Now the motors gone. :cry:
I probably finished it off in attempting to close the window! That may be why it got stuck, because it no longer had the ‘oomph’ to push the window past where it was catching on the door.

On the plus side, whatever I did has straightened out the mechanism, the glass is no longer catching the door or pushing against the rubber strip on the top of the door like it was.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Tue 13.11.2018, 17:31

Shucks!
Are you sure it's gone? I would say one needs to really insist to heat the coiling so much it melts the insulation? Hopefully it's just a fuse?
Giniw
God

Postby Kathryn » Fri 16.11.2018, 19:33

I’ve had someone look at it and am relying on what I’ve been told.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Specky » Sat 19.01.2019, 00:05

I had a PM yesterday, It was deleted, but I can see from my emails what it said, I hope you're all sorted.

If you require any assistance dont hesitate to ask.

TTFN
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The N/A-Team.
Specky

Postby Mike Y » Sat 24.08.2019, 15:01

Having fitted new PNM outer weather strips to a friends M100 I encountered a problem with the window mechanism after refitting the glass.

The window goes down with a slight tight spot mid operation however the problem is worse going up the window gets part way up and starts to tilt rearward becoming unlevel until it finally stops when the window gets is a fair way out of level. Aiding the window by using hand pressure on the rear window to level it allows the window to move fully up to the closed position.
Any ideas i have tried adjusting front and rear channels to see if this improves things but it does not so I reset their positions to where they were.

Cheers Mike
1992 SE Elan Black (Concours Restoration Ex Jamie Jimbob), Red Lotus elan SE Red (Project 2), Lotus Esprit S3 Red, Lotus Esprit S3 White.
Mike Y
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Sat 24.08.2019, 15:26

When you say you've tried adjusting the channels perhaps you can describe in what direction. I have had a similar binding issue which sounds exactly like what you're experiencing when I removed the windows to install new door side window seals. Only happened on one side and what I've discovered is that the window that binds does so at the back end (the end near the door handle) and when compared to the side that doesn't bind, the rear channel is pushed outwards at the bottom. I loosened that screw to remove the glass and probably pushed it out when taking the glass out. The glass is back out to get tinted so I haven't checked my hypothesis yet but that's all I have to go on right now.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Steve A » Sat 24.08.2019, 23:38

Are all 4 sliders present and connected because they should stop any tilting ?
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Mike Y » Tue 27.08.2019, 11:45

All 4 sliders are present with correct tubes inserted. I marked all the channel positions before removing the glass so everything is as it was prior to removing the glass.
I can only think maybe the plate attaching the sliders to the glass has become loose. The channels do seem to move a lot as the window gets to the position where it stops.

Cheers Mike
1992 SE Elan Black (Concours Restoration Ex Jamie Jimbob), Red Lotus elan SE Red (Project 2), Lotus Esprit S3 Red, Lotus Esprit S3 White.
Mike Y
Fanatic

Postby Elanlover » Tue 27.08.2019, 12:54

Mike Y wrote:All 4 sliders are present with correct tubes inserted. I marked all the channel positions before removing the glass so everything is as it was prior to removing the glass.
I can only think maybe the plate attaching the sliders to the glass has become loose. The channels do seem to move a lot as the window gets to the position where it stops.

Cheers Mike

Have you tightened all the bolts? I ask because you say the channels move and I would think they shouldn't if they are screwed down. Could be that the excess movement is causing binding?
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Mike Y » Tue 27.08.2019, 19:34

Ok guys problem solved.
The channels can flex a bit with the fibreglass inner door skin. However I took a close look and decided that although the window seemed to be jamming in the rear channel it seemed to be caused by the front edge of the window being allowed too much movement. I decided to remove the glass and inspect and found that the lower front channel guide had become detached from the window glass as the plastic securing post had been stripped of thread hence the screw had fallen out.

So I guess the answer is actually not all the guides were present.

Cheers guys :D
Mike Y
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Doors and Windows