Deicing the plastic window

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Deicing the plastic window

Postby elaverick » Tue 30.10.2018, 22:27

Next in a long line of daft questions... what’s the safest way to deice the plastic window in the soft top? A plastic scraper could scratch the window, but are the chemical de-icers safe for use on plastics or the surrounding fabric?
I suspect the correct answer is to garage it over winter to prevent it getting icy in the first place, but that’s not currently an option.
elaverick
Tinkerer

Re: Deicing the plastic window

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 30.10.2018, 22:30

If not too windy, a towel covering it ovenight might work...
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 30.10.2018, 22:40

The wife's hairdryer ?

Or a sponge and warm water ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Wed 31.10.2018, 10:09

I have to admit that this is something I've never really thought about.....

..... I don't have to commute any more, but when I did, I'd just leave it and use the door mirrors (not always ideal, I know).

Snow is easy - just a small brush (dustpan & brush type).

Also, when i was using mine a lot in the winter mornings i'd put the hard top on, or it was kept under a car port where it didn't frost over. (plus there was always condensation inside due to leaks, so any hard ice wouldn't be limited to the outside!).... the worst bit was always the drive home after working nights, but it was only a couple of miles and no rush-hour to contend with, so vision wasn't too important (out the back!).

A rain cape is the obvious thought (as it's what I've got on mine now) - but it all depends on where the car is being kept..... some roads aren't as secure as others, so it all needs thinking about before recommending a solution.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Wed 31.10.2018, 10:22

I use a WillB shower cape on my one which is outside. Or another one which has been hand made. Or in extreme winter weather ie last year's "beast from the east" a full car cover. Over the top of whatever cape is on. Overkill I know, but we do get some extreme weather conditions in the Scottish borders

The only thing you need to watch out for is if the hood is soaking wet when you put the covers on and then it freezes over hard. Removal in the morning can be difficult if they are both iced over hence my use of warm water and a sponge
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby theelanman » Wed 31.10.2018, 14:07

you could splash a bit of warm water over it.........
I certainly wouldn't want to be rubbing/scraping it.....
never takes that long to warm up and it clears pretty much straight away as it is.....or at least that's mine
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby DeanG » Mon 03.12.2018, 13:18

Use a car cover. It worked for me for 2 years of daily driving and one bad winter.
DeanG
God

Postby sideways » Tue 04.12.2018, 01:13

theelanman wrote:you could splash a bit of warm water over it.........
I certainly wouldn't want to be rubbing/scraping it.....
never takes that long to warm up and it clears pretty much straight away as it is.....or at least that's mine

Cold, from the tap, water works almost as well, throw it on squeegee it off gently and off you go.

no rubbing required :shock:

no scraping advised :D
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Tinkerer

Return to Doors and Windows