wonky window

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

wonky window

Postby davel » Wed 06.03.2019, 19:28

I have read the relevant threads regarding the electric windows, and cannot find an answer.
The drivers side window will open, but closing is very slow, sometimes completely stuck,but can be pulled into position.I have removed all the panels inside the door,and have found 2 items ,one a small plastic pipe the other a 6/8 mm dia spring with white plastic insert,In the bottom of the door.
I cannot seem to download manuals, so finding where these parts fit is impossible

thank you in anticipation
davel

Re: wonky window

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 06.03.2019, 20:48

Best to use the manuals link at the bottom of my post. They are all PDF based and readily downloadable. There is a lot more information than the manuals as well.

A few pictures would help us "see" what you see and we can then offer suggestions.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 06.03.2019, 22:02

When you say "short plastic pipe" is it about 10mm long and 6mm diameter?

The only part like that in that are is the window rollers which allow the glass to slide up the plastic edge blocks (just a thought!)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby davel » Wed 06.03.2019, 22:38

Sent a reply, seems to have been lost somewhere. The parts are from a previous repair I believe .
The window opens ,but appears to jam on the way up, with back of the window dropping.If I manually lift back end of the window it opens easily
Any suggestions
thanks
davel

Postby muley » Wed 06.03.2019, 23:19

Hi

Been there, done that. It appears one of your sliders has sheared off. See here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xps5s0sbm3w&t=47s

for a good guide on taking it apart.

Jim
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 Duratech
muley

Postby davel » Thu 07.03.2019, 10:25

Thanks Jim

Excellent video , not sure why it jams though,is it because the guide liners are worn?

David
davel

Postby basher » Thu 07.03.2019, 13:53

I've just had grief on this - see the thread below.
The bad news is this is going to be a real pain to sort. The plastic pipe bit sounds like a roller and my windows work without them so you can replace them but its not the end of the world if you can't. Off the top of my head, the only spring that I can think of which would influence your window going up and down are located on the top and bottom of the central channel on the cable that assists with the window winding mechanism. They tend to rust (especially the bottom one).
Having said that there was all sorts of flotsam in the bottom of my door including screws and glass fragments, so it could be unrelated.

Like someone said, pictures will be useful. Check the plate on the back edge is still fully bonded to the glass. Mine wasn't but when I fixed it I made it worse ( I am aware that this 'advice' may not seem positive) BUT it should be fully attached in normal circumstances.

My problem ended up being the back channel becoming twisted and consequently the trailing side of the window lags behind and eventually jams. We identified it by placing an adjustable spanner on the channel and GENTLY twisting the channel to see if that influenced the window. When we moved it a certain way, the window went straight to the top without an issue on the motor.
If you are going to try that, please be careful. Cock it up and you could break the window. Also, jamming windows can suddenly come free and come down on your fingers within the door. At best it will hurt like hell, at worst it could be more severe, so while you experiment put something in to hold the window up.

Overall, all the channels are adjustable in some way and if you can disconnect the glass from the slider, adjust them to get the glass to go up and down freely then it should do it by the motor and you can reattach. Having said that, if it worked before and then stopped, then it should be there or thereabouts anyway. Try everything else first, because trying to get it back afterwards is difficult.

The other thing that we did was take the glass out and make sure that blocks were set up as per the manual in terms of distance from glass and haven't come loose from the plates.
Check the central slider to see if it is split.
Make sure the channels are well lubricated.

Best of luck. Get alcohol ready for afterward, you will need it.
basher
Fanatic

Postby davel » Thu 07.03.2019, 17:37

Thanks for all the replies , just found the window support pad in the bottom of the door , do not know if it has any part to play in the window dropping
Will look tomorrow , not looking forward to stripping it all down

Thanks
David
davel

Postby Rambo » Thu 07.03.2019, 21:29

basher wrote:Check the central slider to see if it is split.
Make sure the channels are well lubricated

Always good advice :smt023
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Jamie N » Fri 08.03.2019, 09:58

Has anyone ever looked at replacing the whole lot for something a bit more modern and technologically advanced?.

The setup as it is with those plastic sliders is antiquated and poor by modern standards. I have seen some really good designs looking through
cars in the breakers but never went any further than studying them. The fact that there are hundreds if not thousands of different designs leads
me to believe there is bound to be something that could supersede the dated and often problematical thing that resides within our doors.
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby Saltire » Fri 08.03.2019, 11:38

“Window Wrangler” is so much more alliterative than “Seal Wrangler”, I feel. What’s stopping you? :twisted:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Jamie N » Fri 08.03.2019, 12:13

Saltire wrote:“Window Wrangler” is so much more alliterative than “Seal Wrangler”, I feel. What’s stopping you? :twisted:

I'm on the case Jonathan , I just wondered if anyone had looked into it in the past, I would imagine its an area for more pioneering though.
Provisionally I think the main criteria would be the glass mounting holes being able to correspond, the curvature of the runners and whether they
would be able to bolt in, and the mounting point for the regulator.

Something whereby the glass is held much more firmly than the usual worn and wobbly sliders allow, would be a great benefit against water ingress
as well, due to more pressure from the glass against the seals. Those little screws into a plastic thread which invariably loosen and / or strip the thread
are particularly naff, being able to do away with them would be a blessing indeed.

The 2006 on Mini has a really good design and shows the type of advances made over the last couple of decades or so, alas far too tall to fit in the Elan,
but its an example of how dated our setup is in comparison.

I'm certain there will be something, its just a matter of having the dedication and commitment to go find. ;-)
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby davel » Sun 10.03.2019, 13:57

Thank everyone for their contribution, I have solved my problem. The window would slide down easily but when shutting would tip down at back and jam, if I manually lifted the window level it would then close completely.There are adjustment slots on the front and back channels at the top.I pulled the loosened channels towards the centre of the window (minimising the slider sloppiness)and lock down the screws.With plenty of grease in side the the channels it now works adequately.Now to replace the speaker.
davel

Return to Doors and Windows