Drivers side button popping up won't lock

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Drivers side button popping up won't lock

Postby Nick Brough » Sat 11.05.2019, 19:02

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been answered I couldn't find anything. I have an issue, if I try to lock my doors with the remote the drivers side button pops back up. Same happens if trying to lock manually and the button feels ^springy" does not latch.

I took the door trim off messed about with it and got it working correctly for a bit, this video may explain what is happening better than my written attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z9jqCCyMbw

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Re: Drivers side button popping up won't lock

Postby John_W » Sat 11.05.2019, 20:58

Have a look HERE.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Nick Brough » Sun 12.05.2019, 08:37

Thanks John,

Still struggling a bit to understand what is actually faulty, it has to be just an issue with the drivers side as the passenger works as it should, The knob on the drivers side won't go all the way down if you use the key, or the remote, or press it, so something must be preventing it from doing this. For a short while it was intermittent so I presume it is not a micro switch out of alignment, unless it's a faulty lock sensing switch?

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby John_W » Sun 12.05.2019, 10:11

Send Chris (lotusrepair) a pm asking how he fixed it. His final post on the thread doesn’t go into details about how he got his RHS door button to go all the way down and stay down.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby M100TURBOFR » Sun 12.05.2019, 10:47

Mine is just the opposite. Stays up all the time therefore I can't lock my door. Could it be a solenoid problem?
Any views
David
Where there's a will, there's a way.
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby Saltire » Sun 12.05.2019, 10:54

Nick

I’m assuming your car’s an SE, not an S2; the two locking systems are different.

This sounds to me like either a mechanical problem, or an electrical problem - or a combination of both. So you need to work through each option in turn.

I would start by disconnecting the battery. That will eliminate the electrical side of the locking mechanism. Can you then lock the drivers door a) using the locking button inside the car; b) using the key? And do you have full and free movement of the locking button? If yes, this points to an electrical fault. If no, you have a problem with the mechanical linkage inside the door: something’s come loose, or is obstructing the rods so they won’t travel to their ‘locked’ position. Find and fix that first.

If the mechanicals are fine, reconnect the battery, then look for the lock sensing switch inside the door at the bottom towards the rear (you’ll need an electrical test meter and some familiarity with its operation for this step). There’s a yellow/ red wire running to the lock sensing switch. When the door is UNLOCKED, this wire should be earthed, so your meter should give a strong reading if you connect one end to the cable and the other end to a good chassis earth (my meter has a buzzer function which is what I use). When the door is LOCKED, you should have no connection between yellow/red and earth. If there’s a fault here, you need to check the yellow/red wire for continuity, following the wiring diagrams, and, if necessary, replace the switch.

If the lock sensing switch is OK, check the red/slate and black wires in the connector at the door ajar switch (on the back of the lock - the side that faces into the door. You can just about reach this 4-way connector by putting your hand up inside the door and unclipping it. Follow the table at the top of page 25 in the PDF document John_W linked to, and check for correct functioning of the door ajar switch. Same as before: if there’s a fault, check for continuity on the wires, and make sure you have a good earth connection everywhere.

If all else fails, check the connections on the central door locking module - up behind the dash on the drivers (RH) side. However, if the LH door works correctly, I doubt this is the cause of the problem.

Hopefully one of those will sort it. Good luck!
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2010 Fiat Panda 100HP, bossanova white/grey (the rollerskate)
2017 BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD, Mediterranean blue/magnolia (the workhorse)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby M100TURBOFR » Mon 13.05.2019, 11:05

Hi again
Any views on why my lock button won't operate correctly. Thanks. See my earlier post. I can't lock my door(s)
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby theelanman » Mon 13.05.2019, 11:17

cdl motor on passenger door not closing all the way down......

try pushing your passenger door lock down.......this should in turn take the drivers door down......
if this works then the closer lever needs adjusting on the passenger door

yes....try the opposite door to the one you are trying to shut
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby M100TURBOFR » Mon 13.05.2019, 13:16

Thank you (Elanman)
I'll give it a try and advise.
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby M100TURBOFR » Tue 14.05.2019, 15:32

Hi Tested lock button as advised (opposite door). RHD M100. Pushed down passenger side button, heard the usual noise, but no effect whatsoever on the driver's door. The button does not come up.
Incidentally, I cannot lock either door with the key.
Thanks.
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby theelanman » Tue 14.05.2019, 18:20

In which case sounds like the lever for the door lock in the driver door could have a come adrift.......it's a feeble connector that connects the door actuator to the handles and lock.......
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby M100TURBOFR » Tue 14.05.2019, 19:39

Many thanks the Elanman.
I'll get round to taking off the door card and having a look. Much obliged.
David
M100TURBOFR
Enthusiast

Postby Nick Brough » Wed 22.05.2019, 12:16

Well first the good news, I believe the fault is mechanical disconnected the battery and no change. However, the bad news is whilst checking the wiring with a meter the fault appears to have changed.

1 Initial fault, drivers side door would not lock.

2 Fault now drivers side door permanently locked will not open.

Interior handle is moving the pivot at the far end of the rod, exterior handle is “floppy” moves up and down but does not open the door. It’s difficult to see what is going on with the lock as visual access is somewhat limited especially as the door cannot now be opened.
Currently having to climb over from the passenger side to get in the car and at the age of 40-18 it has become apparent I am not as agile as I used to be. I may have to resort to dismantling the working passenger door to compare, which I would like to avoid if possible, can anyone offer some more advice please.

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby theelanman » Wed 22.05.2019, 12:20

download the manuals.........it should help explain........

you should be able to push the lever up still......even without power.......
not sure how it is now stuck down

mmmmmmm
theelanman

Postby dapinky » Wed 22.05.2019, 12:40

I would think that with the explanations above, the chances are that it is a jammed mechanisk within the door. Possibly as simple as one of the metal bar/lever things has become detatched at one end and is now jamming itself and not moving.

If this is the case, you will need to remove the door card and have a good look/feel around the latch mechanism.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Nick Brough » Wed 22.05.2019, 14:18

Thanks for the replies,

theelanman wrote:download the manuals.........it should help explain........

you should be able to push the lever up still......even without power.......
not sure how it is now stuck down

mmmmmmm

If you mean the interior button lever then yes that will pull up (I have the door card off) but not push down as far as it should. Have the relevant manual bits, but still none the wiser but that may just be me :-(

dapinky wrote:I would think that with the explanations above, the chances are that it is a jammed mechanisk within the door. Possibly as simple as one of the metal bar/lever things has become detatched at one end and is now jamming itself and not moving.

If this is the case, you will need to remove the door card and have a good look/feel around the latch mechanism.

Think it must be but not easy to see in there.

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby theelanman » Wed 22.05.2019, 14:29

Im confused now........
it the door locked ?
if so lift the internal lever up......
if its still locked........take off door card and pull main rod manually with your hand in the door.......
that should open the door.......
I do think that you have lost the connection to the push/pull rods.......one will affect the other........

Id suggest getting it outside.....and opening the doors (however you do it.....)
once they are open together you can push the latches us and down to see whats moving/not moving and diagnose it from there......

I know that doesnt help you at the minute ....sorry......but Im now not quite sure where youre up to....
theelanman

Postby Nick Brough » Wed 22.05.2019, 16:31

Hi Elanman

it the door locked ? .............................. Yep drivers door is now contiunally locked passenger working as it should
if so lift the internal lever up. ..................Makes no difference door will not open still locked
if its still locked........take off door card and pull main rod manually with your hand in the door.......................Door card off door handle left attached pulling internal door handle " operates "cam lever on the door latch mechanism at the end of the main rod but door will not open.

that should open the door..........Sadley not.
I do think that you have lost the connection to the push/pull rods.......one will affect the other........

Id suggest getting it outside.....and opening the doors (however you do it.....)
once they are open together you can push the latches us and down to see whats moving/not moving and diagnose it from there............ Drivers door will not open, no idea how else to open it as nothing seems to work at the moment :( As you suggested looks like it must be a lever not functioning properly.

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Return to Doors and Windows