Weatherstrip Upgrades..the best ones yet

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: Weatherstrip Upgrades..the best ones yet

Postby Kzawilin » Tue 24.09.2019, 07:33

My doors are currently stripped down and the car is being prepped for a respray..

I removed the rusty looking original weather seals which were a right pain to get off.. every single screw was rusted to the metal frame. Once the head of the screws were ground off, the strip came away easily. The remnants of the screw could then be removed/unscrewed with a pair of pliers..

I now have a couple of these Honda door seal strips to fit. I Just need to modify the plastic fixing brackets and sort out some end caps and i will be ready to go when the car comes back..

I will try and post some pics when i find a suitable hosting site to use..
White, 1991 Lotus ELAN SE.
Oxford.
Kzawilin

Postby djwazza68 » Sat 11.01.2020, 17:52

I've just replaced the passenger side with the Honda seals and they look good. The clips I made by sanding down the side that faces towards the interior and simply supergluing a piece of 2.5mm thick plastic square to it to extend the length of the clip. With a hole drilled as Jamie indicated, they are super strong (they need to be) as the sliding in and out pf the weather strip is actually a bit of a trial.

Now I just need to figure out how to set up the window again so that the damn thing goes up smoothly and under it's own steam.
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Postby PJR-Elan » Sun 12.01.2020, 14:56

I just used the Woolies trim option. Rather than bond it to the original seal metal backing, I cleaned off the old rubber and used a screwdriver to open a 1-2 mm gap between the metal and the door.

I pushed the Wookiee’s seal “stem” into the gap, feeding it under the mirror cover, and trimmed at the door lock end.

To make it follow the curve of the door, I cut 3 or 4 vertical slices in the seals stem where the door curves.

Total time, 30 mins both sides.

Here are some photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PJR-Elan
Tinkerer

Postby Oscarthecat » Sun 12.01.2020, 21:05

Looks good. What's the Woolies part no. for the strip please (guessing 255)?
1992 BRG M100 SE
Oscarthecat

Postby PJR-Elan » Sun 12.01.2020, 21:31

Yes, I recall it was £7 per strip, and the photo looks correct.

The only flaws with this approach are that (I) eventually the original metal strip will rust away and (ii) the original metal sits 1-2mm higher than the fibreglass door skin so the part of the seal that lays against the body (rather than the glass) does not sit entirely flush. A tiny bead of sikaflex would stick that down, but I haven’t bothered. I don’t think it will affect the function and it looks ok. But a perfectionist might want it entirely exact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PJR-Elan
Tinkerer

Postby quiksilva » Sun 12.01.2020, 22:25

Must say really like that solution, Keeping it simple has its benefits and anything really is going to look a lot better than the split 30 year old items
The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.

1992 BRG Elan SE, Wilwoods, Killimanjaro Oh & a bl**dy big grin.
quiksilva
Fanatic

Postby basher » Sat 14.03.2020, 19:56

Has anyone tried to fit the Clio inner trims yet?
I've had a go with Clio Mark 3, 3 door and although I like the concept, I couldn't get them to work, they jam the window. Makes me wonder if they are an earlier trim then mark 3?
basher
Enthusiast

Postby basher » Wed 08.04.2020, 14:49

In the end I gave up on the Clio inner trim and went with this instead and it might be useful if someone else is looking to replace the trim on the top of the door card.
eBay item number:111805771865
Its basically u-shaped rubber channel 10mm x 15.5. It will push onto the top of the door card and I held mine in place with double sided tape across the top. I also cut a little recess around the lock button.
Looks a lot better than the tired trim bit I had which was slightly too short and kept coming off the edge of the doorcard. Please note that I didn't attach this to the top of the door, just pushed it onto the leading edge of the doorcard.
basher
Enthusiast

Postby NewLogik » Fri 10.04.2020, 14:56

basher wrote:In the end I gave up on the Clio inner trim and went with this instead and it might be useful if someone else is looking to replace the trim on the top of the door card.
eBay item number:111805771865
Its basically u-shaped rubber channel 10mm x 15.5. It will push onto the top of the door card and I held mine in place with double sided tape across the top. I also cut a little recess around the lock button.
Looks a lot better than the tired trim bit I had which was slightly too short and kept coming off the edge of the doorcard. Please note that I didn't attach this to the top of the door, just pushed it onto the leading edge of the doorcard.

Any photos ? ;)
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Postby basher » Sat 11.04.2020, 11:59

ImageIMG_3466 by Michael Baldwin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_3464 by Michael Baldwin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_3463 by Michael Baldwin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_3467 by Michael Baldwin, on Flickr

Its just £3.65 a meter so its pretty reasonable and the company does quite a range so worth having a browse.
basher
Enthusiast

Postby NewLogik » Mon 13.04.2020, 16:24

Thank youf or the photos. I really like that fact that it looks like OEM. I'll probably use this as well.
NewLogik
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Doors and Windows