Removing Widow motor (offside)

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Removing Widow motor (offside)

Postby Mac100 » Wed 29.07.2020, 18:01

Hi

Boosted by successful headlamp motor repair, tackled drivers side window which was (and still is) stuck in the the closed/fully up position (unresponsive to switch). Followed excellent advice on LEC + Video on Elan restoration but seem to have hit a dead end, have successfully broken butterfly clip, (which I believe is a tradition) but cannot free top bolt to get motor assembly free.

If any body can advise I would be very grateful.

Mac
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mac100

Re: Removing Widow motor (offside)

Postby roy666 » Wed 29.07.2020, 21:02

HI Mac.. have you freed the glass off the central slider? The circular stud of the slider fits through a hole in the glass, ...seems you might have if the clip is broken. Freeing the stud does take some pressure off the motor and you should then be able to pop out the top bolt. Mine (was) is hard up agianst the bottom edge of the bolt hole itself, in fact, scoring a groove in the GRP. But with a bit of effort you should be able to push it out. if you can push the glass up right to the top out of the way, that does help..watch your fingers! I used a nicely measured peice of wood propped inside the door to keep the glass up. Man handling the whole motor mech to remove from inside of the door is tricky but easily done if you do it right. The Elan You Tube restoration video gives a really could demo of how to do it. I've sent you a PM.. cheers Mike.
roy666
Enthusiast

Re: Removing Widow motor (offside)

Postby Mac100 » Thu 30.07.2020, 18:32

Hi Mike

Thanks for the advice, in the end I had to remove window (one of the bobbins had come off the bottom of the window which probably did not help much!)

As for the regulator, there were no obvious signs of problems with cables etc, did a search & came across you tube video "How to Fix a Defunct Car Power Window at Home" (link attached) basically cleaned brushes etc as shown, regulator now working as good as new.

https://youtu.be/HYVLF_kk4Oo

Regards

Mac
Mac100

Return to Doors and Windows