Central locking dead and Drivers Door electrics not working

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Central locking dead and Drivers Door electrics not working

Postby DavidS2 » Wed 12.01.2022, 06:51

Hello Brains Trust !
I have a 1994 Elan S2 and the drivers door electrics don’t work - (eg) when I open the drivers door no interior lights come on. But open the passengers side and lights work fine. Also central locking on either side doesn’t work at all !? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks .. David
Cheers .. David

Current: 1994 Elan S2 (131)
Past: 1995 Elan S2 (378)
DavidS2

Re: Central locking dead and Drivers Door electrics not work

Postby Saltire » Wed 12.01.2022, 10:29

David, the interior lights are driven from the door by a switch inside the door itself (not a switch on the door jamb as is the case with many other cars). To get at it, you’ll need to remove the door card, which is not hard but is rather long-winded - many screws. Lots of posts on here describing how it’s done.

The central locking on the S2 (SE and NA are different) on my UK car is driven by the alarm system. However, I note that you’re in Australia, and I’m not sure whether ROW cars had the same alarm, so treat this information with caution. Setting the alarm sends a ‘lock’ pulse to the door lock mechanism, and vice versa when it’s unlocked. On a UK car, I’d be checking for electrical continuity in that circuit. What kind of alarm system (if any) does your car have?

It sounds to me as though the two problems could be related, and I suspect a previous owner may have “improved” the electrics :roll: Has this issue developed recently, or have you always had it?

By the way, manuals and circuit diagrams are always available under the ‘Manuals’ tab on the menu at the top of this page
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2016 BMW 440i MSport
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Rambo » Wed 12.01.2022, 10:32

Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Saltire » Wed 12.01.2022, 18:28

Mark, pardon me for jumping in . . . :oops:

David, just be aware that there’s no interior light delay module on the S2. There’s a direct connection between the interior lamps and the light switch, giving an earth path if the switch is on. (Thought: do the interior lights operate normally if you pull out the light switch?)
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2016 BMW 440i MSport
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Rambo » Wed 12.01.2022, 20:19

Saltire wrote:

Mark, pardon me for jumping in . . . :oops:

David, just be aware that there’s no interior light delay module on the S2. There’s a direct connection between the interior lamps and the light switch, giving an earth path if the switch is on. (Thought: do the interior lights operate normally if you pull out the light switch?)

No problems Jonathan. I hadn't realised there was no light delay module in the S2 (only ever had 3 SE's :x ) or that the circuit diagram pertained to an SE :oops:
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Doors and Windows