Drivers door window stuck down

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Drivers door window stuck down

Postby jc_uk » Sun 10.07.2022, 13:09

Hi,

I have a trawl round the posts but still have some questions.

Investigation so far,

I put both door windows down yesterday in the sun.

Came to put them up last night and the passenger door window raised as normal.
The Drivers side move up slightly and then stopped, with the regulator straining.

Today, I've taken the door card etc. off and can now see the glass, runners etc.

The centre butterfly clip looks to be fine.

The window appears to be jamming on the runner on the lock end of the door.

I can't get the glass moving manually.
Also I can't see anything jamming the window in the runner etc. so not sure what is causing the window to jam on the rail.
The bobbins appear to be in place but difficult to see through the access panel.

Any pointers/ideas on what to try next.......
Do I need to get the glass out and check the bobbins etc?

Many thanks
JC
jc_uk

Re: Drivers door window stuck down

Postby jc_uk » Sun 10.07.2022, 13:54

Hi again,

Looks like the glass is going to have to come out and check/replace the slider blocks........

How do I get the glass up when it is down in the door ?
Release the butterfly clamp and work the glass upwards?

Thanks
JC
jc_uk

Postby Saltire » Sun 10.07.2022, 14:31

jc_uk wrote:Hi again,

Looks like the glass is going to have to come out and check/replace the slider blocks........

How do I get the glass up when it is down in the door ?
Release the butterfly clamp and work the glass upwards?

Thanks
JC

Correct, the glass will need to come out, and you’ll have to remove the butterfly clip (which will break, so have a spare handy) and work the glass upward. Beware: the glass is heavier than you think, so I recommend two pairs of hands and/or a lump of foam in the bottom of the door.

I overhauled both mine last winter, and found that the slider blocks were fine, but several of the shouldered nylon washers which attach them to the glass had split.

Use silicon lubricant or similar on reassembly.

There’s a very good write up in the workshop manual, available in the “Manuals” section at the top of this page (if you’re logged in).
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S

. . . and on the hunt for an interesting daily driver!
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby jc_uk » Sun 10.07.2022, 16:16

Hi again,

UPDATE:

Had another look and there a bit going on behind the door card.

I've had the car since almost new (6 months) and it has been through a few wars and repairers.....

A few year back we ended up in dispute with an insurance accident repair following a collision with a sleeping/dozing lorry driver on the M6 late at night in the pouring rain.
Some of that repair would have included the door window and also remove/refit of the door card.

Basically, a bit of a mess/botch.....
- door card screwed on, rather than using the spec'd skrivets....
- access panels screwed on rather than using the spec'd plastic rivets.....
- NO BOBBINS FITTED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE WINDOW

Anyway, following quite a bit of messing this afternoon the door window has unstuck itself and is now running in the rails freely..... Panic over before it starts raining again.... and managed to run the battery flat, and that is now back on charge.

Going to order the spares and put the door/panels back as they should be.
I'll leave the bobbins for now, as I'm probably going to have to replace the rusting away steel beams (bottom hinge) on both doors and can fully sort out the windows at that point.

Cheers
JC
jc_uk

Return to Doors and Windows