Passenger door lock seized open - FIXED

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Passenger door lock seized open - FIXED

Postby RichardK » Tue 20.01.2015, 21:15

I need some advice guys, my passenger side door lock won't move down to the lock position, it feels jammed, I took the door apart ( found a bobbin lying in the bottom of the door and the metal plate hidden in the front of the door). The door will also not lock with the key, however the door will open with the internal door handle and the external door latch .

Central locking tries to lock when the fob button is pressed but I guess the lock position sensor is working as after locking two seconds later the driver"s side door unlocks. The alarm works fine.

Any opinion as to what is causing the problem - latch mechanism or actuator or bent rods out of position...or? If it is the actuator can I repair it?

Advice needed - how do I get the metal control rods out of the plastic pivot clips? Just force them until they part or break?

Is the effort of removing the glass ( and metal runner near the lock) worth it compared to removing the lock mechanism without removing the window? I do have one spare butterfly clip.

Putting all the control rods back - any advice? Should I lay in a stock of plastic pivot clips.

Here is a picture of my never before opened passenger door......before the fun started.

Pass Side Door small.jpg

Many thanks

RIchard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CAPETOWN - RED 92 SE: V5 and LGM Turbo Installed
NEW ORLEANS - YELLOW 91 FED. TLC Required.
RichardK
Fanatic

Re: Passenger door lock seized open - FIXED

Postby RichardK » Thu 22.01.2015, 22:39

OK, what I learnt.

The circle clip on 22 year old butterfly sliders disintegrates when it is barely touched, similarly the Orange plastic clip.....despite extreme care.

Lay in spare strivets, I had to mangle 50% of mine to get the door card off.

To get the door lock out, the simplest way for me (with big hands) was to take out the door glass and the rear runner.

I am not very good at drilling out the alu rivets on the top of the door .....

The lock mechanisum was seized up with grime and lack of lubrication. The actuator was fine, but not really serviceable unless you were prepared to force it. The three or four latch rods came off without destroying the white plastic pivot points. Getting them back in to said pivot points was not so easy- neede a long screwdriver to provide leverage from the top.

The door latch mechanism aligned fine without any adjustment from me, it went straight back and lined up with my reference marks. However once replaced the rods had to be checked for operation - the outside door opener didn't open the door and the rod needed a but of adjustment in the vice.

You get a huge sense of satisfaction when you can clean the bottom bit of the window, grease up the sliders , slick back all the curled up carpet strips on the window supports and finally get the double sided tape to stick on the inside door felt.

Took all day, but job done.

:cheers:
CAPETOWN - RED 92 SE: V5 and LGM Turbo Installed
NEW ORLEANS - YELLOW 91 FED. TLC Required.
RichardK
Fanatic

Re: Passenger door lock seized open - FIXED

Postby epipete » Fri 23.01.2015, 00:12

Well done. :burnout:
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Return to Doors and Windows