Inside the door - any ideas?

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Inside the door - any ideas?

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 09.04.2015, 01:34

I've had my door panel off to fit a new door speaker and found these bits in the bottom of the door... everything seems to be working OK, particularly the window lift system since I cleaned off the 'cheddar cheese' and used a bit of new grease.

Thought I'd ask here and maybe get some peace of mind. I've replaced the butterfly clips and a door glass on an earlier Elan but so long ago I can't remember what I saw then so have been looking in the manuals as I couldn't see much inside the door through the access holes ...

debris.jpg

Item (1) I can identify as part of the door lift 'butterfly clip' and the wing of the butterfly clip I could see in situ looked shiny and quite new but the other wing, if it's there, is hidden behind the window lift channel.
Item (2) is a short length of outer Bowden Cable & Item (3) looks like a cable tensioner.

Manuals are not very detailed but I think item (3) may be part of the 'Regulator Assembly' as the Parts Manual calls it (Section 11.02A Item 1). This appears to be the motor, cable and window lift channel all as a single part, i.e not serviceable or able to be dismantled. I'm sort of hoping that a previous owner had a butterfly clip and lifting cable break and had new ones fitted, and these are the bits that fell off when they broke.... can anybody help confirm that?

regards,

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Re: Inside the door - any ideas?

Postby epipete » Thu 09.04.2015, 07:48

I may be a little off beam here but iirc there is a spring somewhere along the cable which effectively compensates for strain on the cable should the window rise/fall unevenly as is often the case. If you feel around the cable you should find a similar spring which would confirm that this is, as suggested, detritus from an earlier repair.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Fredjohn » Thu 09.04.2015, 08:08

Yep Pete is right: item 3 is one of 2 spring tensioners which fit at the 2 ends of the cable casing.

If you look somewhere on here (search for window replacement) there is a very good video of removing the assembly. Pretty sure it shows the detail of the various bits if you look carefully.

I would agree the bits are the remains of a previous breakage if your window is still working properly.

One rattle less :D
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 09.04.2015, 22:05

Fredjohn wrote:Yep Pete is right: item 3 is one of 2 spring tensioners which fit at the 2 ends of the cable casing.

If you look somewhere on here (search for window replacement) there is a very good video of removing the assembly. Pretty sure it shows the detail of the various bits if you look carefully.

I would agree the bits are the remains of a previous breakage if your window is still working properly.

One rattle less :D

Thanks for the tip. Found this vid' by Specky and froze it at 56 seconds to see that bit on the motor drive cable. s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt234/Elan_SE/?action=view&current=100_2071.mp4

I can now happily 'bin them'... as you say, one rattle less but also got rid of some unnecessary weight too ! Every little helps.

On the thread about windows I saw Specky using an electrical screwdriver to remove the red door lock 'thingy' which I reckon is hard work and likely to make them unusable so have created a thread about how I do it.
Mine is the easy way to get them out and you can reuse them! forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=24233

Thanks for your help.

Phil
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Wibdow Spring Tensioner

Postby roy666 » Sun 10.01.2016, 14:34

Window Sprig Tena.jpg
Hi Guys, I'm in the middle of looking to refurb my window regulator assembly. The plastic tensioner has snapped and has shifted forward jamming onto the wheel on the window runner; anyone know where to get replacement plastic spring tensioner? I don't really want to start taking the thing apart unless I've got some reasonable replacements to stick back on it. I'm not hopeful, but worth a try. Pic attached. thanks, Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roy666
Enthusiast

Return to Doors and Windows