Driver's Window Surgery

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Driver's Window Surgery

Postby roy666 » Fri 11.12.2015, 21:19

Hi Guys - slowly over the last month my driver's window has got tougher and tougher to go up and down, until now its absolutely jammed. I'm able to push it up and down but nothing else. So it's time to overhaul the whole thing. I think the actual motor is ok, but guess I'll find that out when I get it all out. I'm also going to renew the window seals with the PNM Seals. I've pretty much read up on all the topics, and wikilec stuff, printed out all the photos, etc.. got the service notes. So I' think I'm ready to go. One thing i can't understand .. if the window is is attached to runners, and these are in the grooves correctly, why does the window always wobble when in the fully up position.. hence not a tight enough pressure on the hood seal to keep the sodding rain out..?

Wish me luck!
M.
roy666
Enthusiast

Re: Driver's Window Surgery

Postby dapinky » Fri 11.12.2015, 21:39

Roy,

The 2 things that I can think of which will allow the window to wobble inwards/outwards are if the window upstop bobbins don't reach the stops (but that is probably unlikely to be the problem)....

... which leaves the fluffy pads stuck to metal brackets to brace the window.

The long length of window brush strip sits along the outer edge of the glass, but the inner edge is supported by shorter lengths of the same strip on angled brackets.

The position of the brackets is adjusted by loosening the screw and sliding it until it supports the glass in its upermost position.

However, the glue often fails and the fluffy bits fall inside the door so the pads don't make good contact, but the hard rubber bits are still attached to the bracket, so the window movement is still limited, but a bit rattley as there is no fur to dampen it.

Mine had been like it for a while, but when i rebuilt the doors i bought new lengths of strip for the outer edge and cut shorter bits which i glued onto the brackets - movement/rattles all gone.

pads.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby roy666 » Sat 12.12.2015, 18:53

Thanks Dave - much appreciated. where did you get your spare pad material from? R
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sat 12.12.2015, 19:14

roy666 wrote:Thanks Dave - much appreciated. where did you get your spare pad material from? R

SJ's sell it by the meter under part number B089V6166V - I bought 3m of the stuff as part of a bigger order when I was doing the major refurb.

I'm pretty sure that there will be a generic material availlable from other suppliers which may be better value if that is all that you are ordering (P&P prices are quite high, even for small orders).

Have a read of this thread for a few observations by other members on here.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Return to Doors and Windows