Key Dilemna

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Key Dilemna

Postby lotusles » Sat 26.12.2015, 11:29

Hi, I only have one door and ignition key for the car and was looking to get some spares.

I have found some blank keys but the original keys are so badly worn I don't think they would make good templates.
I understand the original door keys are high brass content to stop lock wear.

Is it possible to get an original pre cut key anywhere and if so where do I find what the key number is, all that's shown on the door key is the letter H, or do I just get some blanks and hand file until they fit?

Thanks
Les
lotusles
Enthusiast

Re: Key Dilemna

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 26.12.2015, 11:54

lotusles wrote:Hi, I only have one door and ignition key for the car and was looking to get some spares.

I have found some blank keys but the original keys are so badly worn I don't think they would make good templates.

Is it possible to get an original pre cut key anywhere and if so where do I find what the key number is, all that's shown on the door key is the letter H, or do I just get some blanks and hand file until they fit?

Thanks
Les

If you have the Owner''s Handbook it will tell you on Page 64 what the Key Nos are.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotusles » Sat 26.12.2015, 16:36

lotusflasherman wrote:
lotusles wrote:Hi, I only have one door and ignition key for the car and was looking to get some spares.

Thanks
Les

If you have the Owner''s Handbook it will tell you on Page 64 what the Key Nos are.

Brilliant, It has the ign key but not the door :(
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 26.12.2015, 17:15

lotusles wrote:Brilliant, It has the ign key but not the door :(

Sod's Law! :( I've got 3 Handbooks and all of them have the numbers for Doors; Ignition/Steering Lock; Glovebox entered.. and I've never needed any of them...
I think the Door key is same as the Boot key when it comes out the factory so there is no provision for recording Boot Key, but some may have been changed later.

I've only ever unlocked doors on the remote so had better check if key works in case remote plays up.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusles » Sat 26.12.2015, 19:02

lotusflasherman wrote:
lotusles wrote:Brilliant, It has the ign key but not the door :(

Sod's Law! :( I've got 3 Handbooks and all of them have the numbers for Doors; Ignition/Steering Lock; Glovebox entered.. and I've never needed any of them...
I think the Door key is same as the Boot key when it comes out the factory so there is no provision for recording Boot Key, but some may have been changed later.

I've only ever unlocked doors on the remote so had better check if key works in case remote plays up.

I only have one remote as well, so is my solution to fit a lock set? I might just get a blank key and file it, as I understand the lock barrels don't wear! I might take out the boot barrel and use this as the template.
Also I need to get another remote fob but again cant find the code sticker anywhere.
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby lotusrepair » Sat 26.12.2015, 23:20

My book has the key numbers but who has the listing and blanks to cut them to the correct pattern?

Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 26.12.2015, 23:24

I've got a feeling that muley has a stash of blanks. But I think he's in NZ at the moment.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 27.12.2015, 00:12

lotusrepair wrote:My book has the key numbers but who has the listing and blanks to cut them to the correct pattern?

Chris

My L Reg SE only had 1 set of keys. The Handbook has Door key number with "(Blank H)" after it but key had 'H' stamped on it anyway and Ign Key has '296' stamped on it which has no relation to number in Handbook so presume that's the blank reference too. I presented just my keys to my local 'key cutter' and though he had to order the blanks he was able to produce a spare set in a couple of days for only a few quid by copying the keys I had.

If keys are worn, there is a chance the lock is too so a new key might not work so well as the worn original so copying the one that's worn can be best option.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Return to Doors and Windows