Door locks not staying locked

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Door locks not staying locked

Postby lotusrepair » Fri 05.02.2016, 04:40

91 M100
The door locks operate with the key and go down. You can push the lock down and close the door. Do either of these and count to 3 and they pop back up electrically. The locks will not stay down. Is there an adjustment or sensor out of position I should look at?

Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Re: Door locks not staying locked

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 05.02.2016, 05:32

RTFM

All of the manuals and guides are readily available.

Door Locks.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby epipete » Fri 05.02.2016, 15:36

That's very interesting, it doesn't help me to understand why my doors don't lock when I'm driving but it is a good diagrams for understanding how it all fits together, something I struggled with considerably recently. I not my internal lights are similiarly not working, both related I suspect; time to pull out the wiring manuals methinks!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 05.02.2016, 15:47

Here is the wiring diagram:
Door Lock Wiring.jpg

There are micro switches (C100B6065F) in the door that influence when the doors can be locked. If they are out of adjustment, the doors will lock for a minute or two and then unlock. The Inertia switch wiring also contributes to telling the CDL system to unlock the doors in the event of a crash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 06.02.2016, 02:05

lotusrepair wrote:91 M100
The door locks operate with the key and go down. You can push the lock down and close the door. Do either of these and count to 3 and they pop back up electrically. The locks will not stay down. Is there an adjustment or sensor out of position I should look at?

Chris

Yes... there is a lock sensing switch that sends a signal to the ECM if the car is locked when a door is not closed or is ajar and after a 2 SECOND delay will unlock both doors. (If it was 'minutes' you could be away from the car and not aware it had unlocked itself.) The switch is at the bottom of the door mechanism and if it's come loose or out of position might be sending false signals.

lock mech.JPG
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotusrepair » Sat 06.02.2016, 06:14

Well I know where I have to look now. It just means opening up the doors again. They should have installed a zipper for the many times the doors are opened up.

Thanks
Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 06.02.2016, 14:57

lotusrepair wrote:Well I know where I have to look now. It just means opening up the doors again. They should have installed a zipper for the many times the doors are opened up.

Thanks
Chris

Shouldn't take you too long Chris. The more you do something the better you get. You'll be doing it quicker than a Formula 1 tyre change soon.. :lol:
I've drilled a little hole in the red door clips that secures the button so I can screw in a hook and pull it out without breaking it. Makes them reusable many times over.
photo (9).JPG

button hook.jpg

Saves a lot of time getting the door panel off, and saves having to find where I keep the new clips.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby John_W » Tue 09.02.2016, 10:05

Chris,
My car did this when I first bought it many years ago. It was my first Elan fix. The problem was a disconnected wire in the passenger door lock mechanism. The previous owner had solved it by removing a fuse (which also disabled the interior lights from memory). It could be either door, and you have to remove the door card for access, so I hope you are lucky in finding it first time.
John
John_W
Philistine

Postby lotusrepair » Wed 02.03.2016, 06:00

I finally got around to the door locks. Nice weather helps. The problem ended up in the right door lock button. It was hanging up and not going fully down.

All fixed.

Chris
lotusrepair
Enthusiast

Return to Doors and Windows