Window Regulator

Moderators: theelanman, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Specky, Elanlover, GeoffSmith

Re: Window Regulator

Postby LittleRob » Wed 08.06.2016, 16:05

Sounds like problem solved

Except I've still got to get the damn thing back in the car. I would have been easier if it was me that had taken it out. I just have a perfect door, and this thing that needs to fit.
LittleRob
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Wed 08.06.2016, 16:26

LittleRob wrote:Except I've still got to get the damn thing back in the car. I would have been easier if it was me that had taken it out. I just have a perfect door, and this thing that needs to fit.

I'm fairly sure that if it isn't pi$$ing down with rain. the guys can have the door card off in about 5 minutes, the motor installed in another 10, and all back together 5 minutes after that!

Allowing 10 minutes to rewind/rethread the cable to start with, and another 10 to adjust the window to seals whilst it's all apart, it could be fixed before the thirst gets a chance to grab hold :cheers:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 08.06.2016, 19:09

LittleRob wrote:I've got a reply from the garage and they say

"I have asked the technician who looked at the window, he has said the white plastic guide which holds the window to the regulator has broken."

So perhaps that's all it was then. I'll bring it along tomorrow and we can stand in the car-park of the pub and scratch our chins.

Rob

That's the butterfly clip he's talking about and it isn't broken in your photo. That horseshoe shaped clip on the tag goes under the glass and onto the groove in the pin coming through a hole in the glass so it holds the glass on the pin. If that clip comes off, or breaks, the glass comes off the pin and the regulator goes up and down without taking the glass with it. Looks like it only needed the glass putting back on the pin and the clip putting back in place. Reckon we might be able to get it back together. Might be an idea to clean out and regrease the edge guides beforehand as the grease tends to go like cheddar cheese and restrict movement rather than assist it.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby LittleRob » Thu 09.06.2016, 13:36

I'm not sure whether I've got any suitable grease. Does it matter what it is? Mostly I've got stuff for various bikes. You'd think after 20 years of Elan owning I'd be better equipped!.

Do I need to bring anything else, other than beer money!, and what time do people get to the pub?

Rob
LittleRob
Enthusiast

Postby Dave Eds » Thu 09.06.2016, 15:09

7.30 Rob.
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby LittleRob » Fri 10.06.2016, 14:09

Dave EdsThanks for help and the part last night. Car is now booked in next Tuesday to be re-assembled.

It was good to meet all the other guys/cars, but I did feel like the baby of the family ;-)
LittleRob
Enthusiast

Postby LittleRob » Tue 14.06.2016, 16:41

The car is back, and the window works, but at a couple of places in the up/down it makes a funny "crunchy" noise.
LittleRob
Enthusiast

Postby Rice crispy » Tue 14.06.2016, 20:06

Could be misalignment of the runners or a loose or missing slider or the wires aren't on the drum correctly
Rice crispy
God

Postby Artaban » Tue 14.06.2016, 21:40

Can you identify where the crunchy noise is coming from? One place or several. Is it always at the same place in the position of the glass, e.g. half way up.

Is it possible that the channels are slightly out of alignment? When I put my regulator back in I made sure the bolts on the channels front and back allowed a little movement of the channel. Then I'd move the window up and down by hand before attaching the regulator to it. I'd then gradually tighten up the channels whilst making sure that the window was easy to move up and down by hand and there were no sticking points in the range of movement. I just didn't want the regulator to strain at any point.

Hope you resolve it.

Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby Dave Eds » Tue 14.06.2016, 22:25

Did they grease it with silicone grease Rob? Did they check for any other loose bits in the bottom of the door? Did they confirm the channel was not mishaped? Drop me a PM and I will have a look at it. :wink:
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby LittleRob » Tue 21.06.2016, 11:29

Dave Eds (et al)

Sorry for being tardy responding, I've not been in here much for the last few days. To answer the various questions:

a) Its at the same 2 places. About 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up.

b) I don't know for certain whether they greased everything, but they should have. I made a point of requesting it, and they made a note on the job card.

On a positive note, we've both managed to find some opportunities to drive the car, and other than the usual issues (its not all that comfortable compared to my other cars, and it has a cassette player!) it was great. I apologise for 2 weeks of rain.

Rob
LittleRob
Enthusiast

Postby Nickydee » Wed 22.06.2016, 18:28

lotusflasherman wrote:
Ownership becomes a bit of a hobby so time spent on it isn't summated or costed, except by the wife or girlfriend. .

Phil

But this brings its own problems. I guess like some others on here, its sometimes better to cough up to have something done by a garage and employ a bit of creative accounting to hide the actual cost rather expend the time yourself. After all even a main dealers hourly rate is much less than the average divorce lawyer. :-D
Nickydee
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Doors and Windows