Side window not touching window seal...

Moderators: theelanman, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT, Specky, Elanlover, GeoffSmith

Side window not touching window seal...

Postby simonbuk » Sun 17.07.2016, 19:31

My drivers side window does not touch the window seal at the top left of the window (if you are standing outside the car looking at the window).

I know about the adjustment bolt at the bottom of the door and had a go at adjusting that but theres naff all adjustment and even at the most adjustment it doesn't tilt the window in enough. I even put a washer between the door and the bracket to give it a bit more tilt but to no avail.

Now the top of the window fits into the seal - just, but where the window curves at the top left it does not meet the seal. The seal looks ok compared to the other side but something is clearly not right.

Can this seal be adjusted itself in anyway ? Didn't have time to poke around anymore today to investigate.

I guess i've got a gap of about 2-3 mm at the moment.
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Re: Side window not touching window seal...

Postby chrisP » Mon 18.07.2016, 17:13

I have four aluminium spacers (about 4mm thick each) on the rear glass channel of each door that push the channel out. They are standard from the factory, so it might be worth checking that someone hasn't removed them. they would tilt the rear of the glass inwards.

item 30 in this picture https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MA ... 0&ST=&SC=0

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Mon 18.07.2016, 21:36

Ok cheers, might have to have the door card off again.

Also what sort of sound should the door make when closing ?! Can you hear the glass rattle when the door has slammed shut ?!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby simonbuk » Tue 19.07.2016, 17:41

Well yes it didn't have those spacers so have put some washers in their place, has helped a little. I think I'm more into thinking its the seal now, I have found that there is one bolt missing from the frame but don't think its going to effect the position of the seal much.

One strange thing happened when i was out for a drive, I heard this 'clink' (like glasses clincking together) , I thought a stone had flown up and hit the top of the window. When I was taking the doorcard out and the window was fully down I realised that where the chip had happened the window was next to a screw inside the door. The car must have hit a bump and the glass banged the screw head causing a chip. Not sure how I'm supposed to change this !

Whos the door/window aligning expert on here ?!

simonbuk
God

Postby Paul Alexander » Wed 20.07.2016, 13:25

simonbuk wrote:Well yes it didn't have those spacers so have put some washers in their place, has helped a little. I think I'm more into thinking its the seal now, I have found that there is one bolt missing from the frame but don't think its going to effect the position of the seal much.

One strange thing happened when i was out for a drive, I heard this 'clink' (like glasses clincking together) , I thought a stone had flown up and hit the top of the window. When I was taking the doorcard out and the window was fully down I realised that where the chip had happened the window was next to a screw inside the door. The car must have hit a bump and the glass banged the screw head causing a chip. Not sure how I'm supposed to change this !

Whos the door/window aligning expert on here ?!

hi simon,

if you fully wind the window down, put your finger on the top edge and see if you can move it side to side (i.e does it move from the outer door edge towards the inner door edge). if it does, then the slider blocks on the window may be loose - i had this issue, but i took the window out, tightened them up, put it back, and now not only is it firmly in place, it seals perfectly against all seals (where as before i had a gap between the window and falling pillar seal).

if the window does not wobble, then you can adjust the rails that the window guides sit in. remove the door card and adjust the lower bolts on each rail - trial and error.

as for the screw, it may have come off the outer weather strip.
Paul Alexander
Enthusiast

Postby simonbuk » Wed 20.07.2016, 13:48

Hey thanks Paul, that sounds hopeful. When I close the door it does seem to rattle more than it should.

Off with the door card again...................

simonbuk
God

Return to Doors and Windows