question on Door card "Scrivets"

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

question on Door card "Scrivets"

Postby Tuga2112 » Sun 17.07.2016, 23:32

My car came without any scrivets holding the door card, some of the scrivet holes had rubber/well nuts instead.
I have considered rivnuts as well, rubber/well nuts seem like a good alternative.

Does anyone know the size of the holes of these scrivets?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Re: question on Door card "Scrivets"

Postby chrisP » Mon 18.07.2016, 17:05

I have the rubber rawlnuts on one door and other fixings on the other, but as I read from the parts list they should be scrivets. I have had to replace them on other parts of trim and can confirm that these are what are required. There is a sizing image at the bottom of the page. Personally im sticking with the rawlnuts and stainles screws.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Plastic-S ... xy0zhTOY7a

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Artaban » Mon 18.07.2016, 18:24

I tried the scrivets when I first had the car and I couldn't get a satisfactory fit so I reverted to rivnuts. I bought some from here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191666376866? ... EBIDX%3AIT
They work well but unfortunately I can't tell you what size as the car is in for painting of the rear deck before clear 3m film is applied to protect it from the hood rubber seal.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 18.07.2016, 18:56

I've only ever seen rubber wellnuts and set-screws to hold the door cards on, and didn't know that it *should* have scrivetts :oops:

I used M5 size (they fit the holes in the door shell), but can't remember what length set-screws I used - at the time I had a variety of lengths in stock and just chose the ones that I needed (I think they may have been 30mm, but I can't say for certain......

...... if you need to know, I can measure one tomorrow and let you know.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 18.07.2016, 20:12

Tuga2112 wrote:My car came without any scrivets holding the door card, some of the scrivet holes had rubber/well nuts instead.
I have considered rivnuts as well, rubber/well nuts seem like a good alternative.

Does anyone know the size of the holes of these scrivets?

8mm - just in case you misunderstand the humour João, these were identical to the Lotus ones!

10 for £4.99

or

25 for £7.99
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 18.07.2016, 21:04

Artaban wrote:I tried the scrivets when I first had the car and I couldn't get a satisfactory fit so I reverted to rivnuts. I bought some from here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191666376866? ... EBIDX%3AIT
They work well but unfortunately I can't tell you what size as the car is in for painting of the rear deck before clear 3m film is applied to protect it from the hood rubber seal.
Andy

Interesting link Andy.
I didn't know rubber coated rivnuts existed, these appear to be a really good alternative to the original scrivnuts.

Im guessing Geoffs scrivnuts are a no go. since they are right up the highest lotus standards.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have ordered a set of assorted wellnuts of ebay, when they arrive will try them out, if they fail, ill try Andy's altenrative.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Return to Doors and Windows