Problem removing weathersrip screw

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Problem removing weathersrip screw

Postby B_land » Fri 02.06.2017, 18:11

Had a problem with drivers side door glass found bobbin and slider missing, the glass is ready to go back in but I'm struggling to remove 1 screw from the weatherstrip. I've tried drilling it out but drill has wandered and if I continue there will be another hole next to the original. Using a dremel I've ground away the head and the weather strip is removed, I'm now left with the shank which needs to be removed but I cannot find a long reach 3mm ish rotary/dremel bit. It needs to be attacked horizontally through the access hole. Any ideas?

Thanks
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Re: Problem removing weathersrip screw

Postby Steve A » Fri 02.06.2017, 18:19

Post a picture, that will help us help you
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Giniw » Fri 02.06.2017, 19:37

:agree:
Giniw
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 02.06.2017, 20:44

I had to dremmel the heads off a few of those screws - i found that the thread of the screws weren't actually tight in the fibreglass, but just that the heads had rusted ontot he window strip so they wouldn't undo.

I managed to get all of the 'studs' out by gripping the slight protrusion with a pair of pipe grips (some were easier with sidecutters) held vertically through where the glass will be when installed.

Fiddly, as you can't get a huge amount of turn before having to move the grips, but once it started moving, some even came out with finger grip.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby B_land » Fri 02.06.2017, 20:50

I should have asked the question earlier as I no longer have any of the screw protruding now :banghead:
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Fri 02.06.2017, 21:12

Ahh, in that case, the only thing I can suggest is extreme caution - there isn't an awful lot of distance between the end of the screw (pointy end) and the outside air - any great heat build up may cause paint damage...

I would tend to think that you may be best off leaving one screw out when you reassemble it, and maybe dab a bit of araldite or similar through the hole in the rubber trim strip to work like a 'plug weld' (jam something in the gap whilst the glue sets to keep it in place??)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby B_land » Fri 02.06.2017, 21:33

Thanks probably the best approach
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 02.06.2017, 23:08

or... abandon that screw position and drill a hole right adjacent in the weatherstrip and a new pilot hole in the fibreglass - gently!
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby B_land » Sun 04.06.2017, 20:12

Thanks Phil managed to drill another hole for the weatherstrip, it's taken most of the weekend. Only 5 holes lined up in the weathersrip and I had to use the old one as a pattern to elongate the other 5 holes. Everything was time consuming or is it just me. Fitting the window and adjusting took half a day, I found the small roller guide stopped the slider fully entering the channel so a small chamfer helped and all was okay. I think I'll do the next door over winter. :bonk:
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby CalElan » Wed 05.07.2017, 20:18

I had the none-aligned holes in the weatherstrip issue too.. right pain in the a$$
CalElan
Enthusiast

Return to Doors and Windows