New owner with a wet right hand / knee

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

New owner with a wet right hand / knee

Postby Nick Brough » Fri 19.01.2018, 10:03

I did a search and couldn't seem to find an answer and they say there is no such thing as a stupid question, time to put that theory to the test.

Owned the car for almost a week now and what I suspected would happen has, namely water is getting in on the drivers side and dropping on my hand when raining. With reference to the attached video would it be a case of adjusting the window height to try and correct this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZff7Wqr4LY

Secondly not window question but how easy is it to clean the inside of the back light covers.

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Re: New owner with a wet right hand / knee

Postby Jamie N » Fri 19.01.2018, 10:24

It's what happens when you use the same stuff that we do dishes with Nick, open cell sponge. As far as I have seen no manufacturer uses open cell sponge for hood and door seals.

Most of the water coming in is caused by the header seal becoming waterlogged and running to either side.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Nick Brough » Fri 19.01.2018, 13:20

Jamie N wrote:It's what happens when you use the same stuff that we do dishes with Nick, open cell sponge. As far as I have seen no manufacturer uses open cell sponge for hood and door seals.

Most of the water coming in is caused by the header seal becoming waterlogged and running to either side.

Thanks Jamie,

I assumed it was coming in from the side but what you say makes sense, although it was very light rain so I am surprised it got waterlogged so quickly, it was under a cover before it went out in the rain. I did have a quick read of your thread but am still not sure how you joined the different seals together so they look like one piece.

Also kicking myself as we scrapped my sons cougar a few years back and the interior including seals was immaculate, if only I had known :D

Would adjusting the window up a few mm help things until or if I can work out now you did your seals so well, and it gets warmer and drier for working on cars outoors .

Thanks

Nick

PS as an aside you have got me thinking as this is the type of seal a lot use on replica / kit cars I was thinking of using it on my replica. In light of your considerable knowledge and expertise on the subject , don't suppose you know if it should be ok it's sponge EPDM http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/pdf/ETS2108DR.pdf
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby par » Fri 19.01.2018, 14:06

Nick,

Dont want to doubt your ingenuity or ability in any way however I would suggest you PM Jamie to see if he has any of his seals available.

It may seem expensive in comparison to sourcing second hand seals from other vehicles and figuring out a solution yourself but what you will get with Jamies seals is a proven product that has many man months maybe even years of development behind them that are being used successfully all over the world.

Believe me there will be plenty of other tasks to keep you busy on the Elan :D
par
Fanatic

Postby Nick Brough » Fri 19.01.2018, 14:25

par wrote:Nick,

Dont want to doubt your ingenuity or ability in any way however I would suggest you PM Jamie to see if he has any of his seals available.

It may seem expensive in comparison to sourcing second hand seals from other vehicles and figuring out a solution yourself but what you will get with Jamies seals is a proven product that has many man months maybe even years of development behind them that are being used successfully all over the world.

Believe me there will be plenty of other tasks to keep you busy on the Elan :D

Please doubt and no ingenuity here. I wasn't aware he did them from the early part of his thread it appeared due to the effort required he only did one for himself, although I was confused by several references to Jamie's seals, never was the brightest light bulb in the pack the penny has now dropped.

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby Jamie N » Fri 19.01.2018, 19:22

The thing about the header seal Nick is it's a fairly big chunky piece of sponge which is really only apparent when you remove it from the hood, the thing that might surprise some folks is the amount of water it can hold for a long time and not dry out, therefore it only takes a shower to get it back to the stage where it starts once again dripping from the top of the A pillar.

I have removed header seals from a car which had been in a garage and had never been out in rain for months yet was still able to wring it out like a wet towel.
One of the other problems is the constant dampness rusts the bolts in the hood seals and the screws that hold the bracket onto the A pillar, which often means problems if you want to remove them (drilling the heads off), but probably the worst aspect of the sponge seals is the water that drips to the floor and ultimately ends up rusting the outriggers from the inside (and usually unseen).

I feel your pain, I remember way back when I got my first Elan it was the seals I had to do first, not just to waterproof the car but also because they just looked a mess, and no matter how nice I made the rest of the car, the seals just let it down badly.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Rambo » Fri 19.01.2018, 19:56

par wrote:Believe me there will be plenty of other tasks to keep you busy on the Elan :D

Like the rear wishbones, the upper links, the poor rear calipers, the handbrake, the possible high emissions, the stuck wastegate, the knackered thermostat, the rattly windows, the headlight motors, the rusty chassis, sills and outriggers, the wooden front brakes to name but a few :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby Nick Brough » Sat 20.01.2018, 01:29

Rambo wrote:
par wrote:Believe me there will be plenty of other tasks to keep you busy on the Elan :D

Like the rear wishbones, the upper links, the poor rear calipers, the handbrake, the possible high emissions, the stuck wastegate, the knackered thermostat, the rattly windows, the headlight motors, the rusty chassis, sills and outriggers, the wooden front brakes to name but a few :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whooa hold on there Rambo. I bought the lotus as the TVR with recently replaced rusty outriggers, was starting to get intermittent head light pop up issues, deteriorating front brake callipers, handbrake with no adjustment left, and I didn't have the time or knowledge to work on it myself so it was getting expensive to run.

I surmised a Lotus Élan would be a less expensive to run fun substitute, in the words of Dick Emery I think I may have got it wrong again dad.

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby clemo » Mon 22.01.2018, 15:51

How to clean the rear lights.

REMOVING THE REAR LIGHT CLUSTERS

Open boot . Put keys at least 2 meters away from boot .
Remove light covers retaining screw. This is the small white locating plastic screw.
Now you can see the back of the rear lights.

This has 3 small nuts . 2 at the bottom . the top one will probably break.
remove the light bulb holders and twiddly thing on the fog light . This has a tiny earthing strip on it . The bulb will also come out with the other light bulb holders

The light cluster should now come off with a little pushing from the boot side outwards.
The rubber gasket may come with it .

Now you have the light cluster in your hand you will see some very small clips . 5 on the top 5 on the bottom and 2 on the curve.
Long nose pliers will help un clip them . if you look closely one side of the clip clips in further than the other . So there is an easier side to remove first .

Thats about it really . its quite a simple job
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 22.01.2018, 16:23

clemo wrote:Thats about it really . its quite a simple job

Apart from trying to remember where you left the keys.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Nick Brough » Mon 22.01.2018, 19:24

GeoffSmith wrote:

Yep had that one today when a friend popped round to have a look, thank God for spare keys :oops:

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby clemo » Mon 22.01.2018, 19:59

Nick Brough wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:

Yep had that one today when a friend popped round to have a look, thank God for spare keys :oops:

Nick

When i say that is the easy bit its in relation to finding out why the damn thing is leaking . Its sealed !. Well it was until you went and broke the seal ( and i don't mean Geoff on his 3rd bottle of spanish red or Rambo our resident underage drinker on the buckfast wine)

I have seen it where people have drilled holes into the underside of the light . Does that help the water drain out . NOPE .. is it just condensation that has built up into large droplets possibly > but now they are large droplets that won't drain though the holes you have just made . There was a time when some people put slica gel ( those little packets you get when you buy trainers) inside the lights or the early type number plate cover . Did it work .. I can't really remember I'm on my 2nd bottle of white lightning ... off to break the seal .
clemo

Postby Rambo » Mon 22.01.2018, 22:36

Never have done "Bucky" and never will :smt078

Incidentally, I think it's still made my monks down in Devon. In fact, I am fairly sure that Buckfastleigh is only about 24 miles from Torquay :poke: :poke:
Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby clemo » Tue 23.01.2018, 18:58

Rambo wrote:Never have done "Bucky" and never will :smt078

Incidentally, I think it's still made my monks down in Devon. In fact, I am fairly sure that Buckfastleigh is only about 24 miles from Torquay :poke: :poke:

Thats my we love the bucky .I thought that you lot north of the wall drunk it like ribena .
clemo

Return to Doors and Windows