Door weather seals

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Door weather seals

Postby Jamie N » Tue 26.06.2018, 12:25

muley wrote:Off topic; but I ran a Honda Civic EM coupe for 12 years. Never missed a beat - only replaced the exhaust and (2 sets) tyres.

Bit gutless, but the a/c would blow your hat off.

Great car.

Jim

Indeed, you cant beat a Honda for reliability, and so simple to fix when anything doe's go wrong, only thing that kills them eventually
is rust, heavily underseal them and they will go forever.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Elanlover » Tue 26.06.2018, 12:46

Jamie N wrote:
Elanlover wrote:I'm actually interested in following Jamie's method. My preference would be to source new ones from a dealer if possible.

As far as I can see the HRV ones are no longer listed as available, you could however use the Civic EM coupe ones, they are almost identical,
but you have to modify the clips, the part number for those.... 72410-S5P-A00 , Honda don't refer to them as Weatherstrips though, they
are called door moldings.

Thanks Jamie, do you know if this part number will include the retaining clips AND the end cap?
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Jamie N » Tue 26.06.2018, 14:17

The clips are listed separately, and the Civic ones don't have an end cap as such as they slot into the vertical trim,
however there are other Honda end caps that fit.

Both ends of the strip require cutting to the angle of the mirror plastic (with a hacksaw ) and the door end , and then smoothed with a sanding
flap wheel on the angle grinder, but this needs extra care and attention, if you dwell on the strip for any longer than a couple
of seconds at a time the heat will melt the coating on the strip, it does sound like a lot of faffing about but its not that difficult really,
the end result done properly is miles better quality than the originals.

The clips needs need a small plastic strip heat welded to the base of them, easy enough job if you have an old soldering
iron and an outdoor area with a breeze to keep the fumes away from your beak!, or... you could get the moldings and shape them to the
correct curvature first, then let me know and I could send you the 8 clips already modified, with the end caps.

Amazing the helping hand we lend to each other on here eh!.. :D ...well, some of us :-D .
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Elanlover » Tue 26.06.2018, 14:55

Jamie N wrote: ... you could get the moldings and shape them to the correct curvature first, then let me know and I could send you the 8 clips already modified, with the end caps.

Dear gawd yes please. That would be a HUGE time saver (and assurance that it was done correctly.) I'll send along a PM.

Jamie N wrote:Amazing the helping hand we lend to each other on here eh!.. :D ...well, some of us :-D .

It is isn't it. :mrgreen:
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby DeanG » Wed 18.07.2018, 21:15

1- I bought the weatherstripping from John C.
2- Removed the perished piece which is difficult when you have the window mechanism in place!
3- Stripped the rubber off the backing plate of the original piece.
4- Traced the stripped backing onto 0.025 aluminum. Then cut it out using drill, tin snips, and hack saw
5- Trimmed the weatherstripping to the outline of the baking piece.
6- Glued it all together with 3M spray rated for moisture and heat. Clean up was easy.
7- Installed

Pictures in reverse order
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeanG
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 18.07.2018, 21:26

didnt you find the lip from the metal strip was leaving a visible gap where the rubber meets the fibreglass ?
when i did mine it was noticeable, so i ended up cutting the lip off the metal strip using the dremel
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby DeanG » Fri 20.07.2018, 21:17

No gap that I have seen