WeatherStrip screws, and maybe alternatives?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

WeatherStrip screws, and maybe alternatives?

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 26.05.2018, 11:05

When i did my weatherstrips last week. i ended up needing to drill new holes as i ducked up the alignment of the strips and the previous holes didnt aligh.
all i did to fix it was drill new holes using a long HSS 3.0 drill bit. and self tapping screws.

now.. although it holds fine. i dont really like the solution. Im a big fan of rivnuts (specially for holding the doorcards) but in that location is impossible to put them.
so id like to know what other solutions can you guys think of that would allow me to use machine screws in there instead of self tapping ones ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Re: WeatherStrip screws, and maybe alternatives?

Postby Tuga2112 » Thu 07.06.2018, 17:54

Bump ?

the yellow car driver side strip does need some attention. i was holding on for suggestions before tackling it.
:-D
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby burble61 » Mon 17.09.2018, 16:06

Hiya,

just been "living the weather seal replacement dream". Actually all but one one the screws came out ok, but the damage on the window regulator that became apparent during the replacement more than made up for that :cry:

To answer the question, i had a quick look at the holes for the weatherseal mounting screws - the depth of them varied between 10 & 11.5mm and on my M100 at least it looked like it was in an area of solid fibreglass.

So an appropriate micro-insert could well do the trick, something on the lines of https://www.insertsdirect.com/acatalog/Packs-of-100-F4-2R-Pressfit-Inserts.html might do (with care on selection of materials to prevent galvanic corrosion between insert & screw). Possibly the best approach would be a blind/flanged version (blind to stop the epoxy coming up the thread hole during fitting & flanged to limit the depth). I would have to build up courage before drilling out the holes with my level of practical skills though, given the potential for going right through the door skin...

All the best

B61
burble61

Postby Steve A » Mon 17.09.2018, 16:35

Rivnuts and fibreglass are not really a good idea, they are designed to be used on sheet metal.

It would be a brave/mad man to drill holes that big for those inserts, I agree the original method isn't ideal but it works
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 22.09.2018, 23:23

burble61 wrote: So an appropriate micro-insert could well do the trick, something on the lines of https://www.insertsdirect.com/acatalog/Packs-of-100-F4-2R-Pressfit-Inserts.html might do (with care on selection of materials to prevent galvanic corrosion between insert & screw). Possibly the best approach would be a blind/flanged version (blind to stop the epoxy coming up the thread hole during fitting & flanged to limit the depth). I would have to build up courage before drilling out the holes with my level of practical skills though, given the potential for going right through the door skin...

i really like that idea. i was no aware such thing existed.

as far as driling the holes, its a dangerous task, but using sharp drill bits and going in very patiently with mild pressure on the drill, you will be able to easily stop applying pressure before the bit reaches the second sheet of fibreglass.

im going to do a bit more reseach on this micro inserts.

I did fix the yellow car 2-3 weeks ago, by just using the self tapper screws. i dont like them and they dont feel like a permanent solution.

i may look into stainless setup on both bolt and insert. which should be a hassle free fix, while allowing me to remove them easily when i get things ready to paint again

i started looking into the suggestion and foudn these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREADED-BRASS-INSERTS-SLOTTED-SELF-TAPPING-KNURLED-PRESS-FIT-M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10/202304125116?hash=item2f1a43f8bc:m:m2vTvcMUebpvJR3P88otiCA
i was thinking these could do the job nicely, if i put epoxy part A in the insert and part B in the hole.

is this what you had in mind ?

brass may not be a good material as it corrodes with both zink plating on bolts and stainless steel.
with that in mind, i could try some grease i guess or possibly locktite ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 23.09.2018, 08:30

Joao,
I used these on the front light fittings (side/indicator) housings when I rebuilt mine to take the LED panels. I needed something as the plastic bit that the screws went into were knackered.
They are an interference fit and are still secure 4 years on - and the stainless M4 setscrews are still free to move, so corrosion shouldn't be an issue in the doors.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby burble61 » Thu 27.09.2018, 15:41

Tuga2112 wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREADED-BRASS-INSERTS-SLOTTED-SELF-TAPPING-KNURLED-PRESS-FIT-M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10/202304125116?hash=item2f1a43f8bc:m:m2vTvcMUebpvJR3P88otiCA
i was thinking these could do the job nicely, if i put epoxy part A in the insert and part B in the hole.

is this what you had in mind ?

brass may not be a good material as it corrodes with both zink plating on bolts and stainless steel.
with that in mind, i could try some grease i guess or possibly locktite ?[/quote]

Well I see someone considerably more skilled & experienced that me has already replied!

I checked the dimensions on that original link I posted - some of the press fits were very close to the hole sizes I measured in both doors. So that could well do, and when i take the doors apart again to fix the regulators once and for all, I will look to go that route.

Good luck!

B61
burble61

Postby Tuga2112 » Fri 05.10.2018, 22:26

dapinky wrote:Joao,
I used these on the front light fittings (side/indicator) housings when I rebuilt mine to take the LED panels. I needed something as the plastic bit that the screws went into were knackered.
They are an interference fit and are still secure 4 years on - and the stainless M4 setscrews are still free to move, so corrosion shouldn't be an issue in the doors.

Dave,
when you say "I used these" im not sure if you refer to brass or some other material ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Postby dapinky » Sat 06.10.2018, 10:14

Joao,

Mine were the brass ones you pictured (the knurled push-fit ones, not the screw-in).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby tb10 » Sat 06.10.2018, 13:39

Joao,

I could do with enough to do 3 cars so if you wanted to buy bulk and also buy enough screws, I'll take 3/4 of them?

regards

John
tb10
Fanatic

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 06.10.2018, 18:59

tb10 wrote:Joao,

I could do with enough to do 3 cars so if you wanted to buy bulk and also buy enough screws, I'll take 3/4 of them?

regards

John

John,

its a shame you didnt reply 3 hours earlier.
i bought 25x M2 ones which i think will be enough for both my cars (i think theres 6 or 7 screws per side).
if i'd seen your message this morning i would have ordered a pack of 100.
the seller marked them as shipped by now, but im going to contact him to see if i can still get the discount on the remaining 75 units
edit.
You now have a PM.
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

Tuga2112
God

Return to Doors and Windows