Head Replacement - what should i be thinking of ?

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Head Replacement - what should i be thinking of ?

Postby simonbuk » Tue 12.09.2017, 16:28

Right, got what appears to be a good looking second hand head. Got new valve stems seals in it,valve seats, been skimmed. Going to take the lifters/springs, etc out of my existing head and swap hopefully if all ok, obviously they will get inspected before installation.

What other jobs do i need to think of doing whilst the head is off ? Are there any odd sod jobs that are far easier to do when a head isn't present ?!

I know i will need new -

2 camshaft seals.
Head gasket - any preference to make ? Rockauto list a few at varying prices. ITM/APDX/FEL-PRO.
Timing belt kit and water pump - Rockauto only have Dayco ?

I'm going to take the opportunity to get the turbo off and port the wastgate, so new gaskets around there.
Worth rebuilding the turbo ? Is it just some simple seals within ?

Anything else i need/worth considering ?

I'm not doing the job myself but just wanting to gather and pay for most of the things i need to lessen the final financial bill at the end !!
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Re: Head Replacement - what should i be thinking of ?

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 13.09.2017, 00:17

The ONLY head gasket that will work correctly is the one from Isuzu/Lotus. Isuzu doesn't offer it any more (at least in the US), but Lotus has them or can get them reasonably quickly.

The issue is the water passages in the head gasket are done differently for the Turbo vs the NA version and the ones on Rock Auto, eBay and other similar merchants are not correct for the Turbo. The passages allow the water to "pool" in areas that get warmer than others. Lots of postings a few years ago as other members found out the hard way and had to re-do the gaskets again.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 13.09.2017, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 13.09.2017, 02:03

Is it your own engine or Stevieshag's that's gone belly up Simon ?

I'm of the"if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality" but if you're going to the trouble of taking the turbo out and porting the wastegate it would probably be worth refurbushing it at the same time. Or at least get it professionally inspected by a reputable turbo rebuilding company as the absolute minimum
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby simonbuk » Wed 13.09.2017, 07:18

@ Brit-car-nut - thanks for the info, so not even the ones from SJs are going to work then ? That's a bit worrying ! I presume I have to order direct from Lotus then ?

@ Rambo - it's my S2, it suffered HGF a few years ago, think it's caught up with it, became very rattly over the last year. The turbo does work fine but eventually want to boost it so just wanted to make sure. Doesn't smoke or anything but then again don't drive it hard due to concerns already mentioned.
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 13.09.2017, 12:20

SJs are an approved Lotus parts reseller. As long as they provide an original Lotus gasket, then that will be fine. A100E6104S is the correct part number and the Lotus dealer price is also £40.40, so I would hope they are supplying the correct part. The OTHER gaskets, Valve cover, manifold and others can be purchased from Rock Auto or eBay or wherever you find them to be cheapest. Some people buy the cheap head gasket set from eBay and discard the head gasket and use the OEM one.

The Dayco timing belt with water pump from RA is more expensive than buying the timing belt kit without the pump and then buying the pump separately. Cam seals can be had for $2.00 each but probably come in the full head set you would buy for the other gaskets.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 13.09.2017, 12:42, edited 3 times in total.

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Wed 13.09.2017, 12:25

simonbuk wrote:@ Brit-car-nut - thanks for the info, so not even the ones from SJs are going to work then ? That's a bit worrying ! I presume I have to order direct from Lotus then ?

I have had genuine Lotus HGs from SJs before - and in their website it does state that they are genuine parts, not alternatives. Having been one of the ones who had to do a second HG change a few years back due to bad parts, I wouldn't use anything else - however cheap they are.

That said, all of the other gaskets required can be sourced elsewhere as they don't have any material differences between the engine types, so are all made the same (OE & aftermarket).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 13.09.2017, 12:42

From Rock Auto
DAYCO 95169K1 Timing belt kit $35.79
AIRTEX AW9220 Water pump $30.79
ITM ENGINE COMPONENTS 0911936 Full aftermarket head set $51.00 comes with cam seals

SJ100E0008 Full head gasket set £88.98. You would have to ask them if that includes the FACTORY head gasket. It doesn't show valve stems seals and a lot of the other gaskets or cam seals, so be careful.

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby simonbuk » Wed 13.09.2017, 14:12

Thanks for the info - odd about ordeting them separately being cheaper !! Just ordered them and camshaft seals. Have a load of ordinary seals so not too worried about those, will get onto SJs regarding the head gasket.

Cheers.

ETA - Steve from SJs just confirmed that they only sell 'Lotus OE ones, direct from the factory' and that the stories regarding aftermarket ones are true !
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Mon 18.09.2017, 21:42

I was thinking of buying a new set of lifters but they seem to be 29 pounds each !!

Saw these on rock auto , 20 pounds for 4 but it says 'non-hydraulic' eh ?
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 18.09.2017, 21:55

Lotus required hydraulic lifters for the M100 to cut down on service costs as non-hydraulic lifters use a "shim" to set the clearance so shops would need to keep a boatload of every size to set clearances properly and it is a time consuming process.

Low production and slow selling parts cost a lot to make in small batches, so the costs are passed on to the buyers. There is a GM part number for them but I haven't found any available recently for a great price.

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby simonbuk » Mon 18.09.2017, 22:07

Have you got the GM part number ?
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 18.09.2017, 23:00

Yes, but they don't seem to have ever been used in a UK or EU car except for the M100 and there are a LOT of Chinese listings for similar lifters but using the GM number that aren't the correct part, so I hesitate providing something that can be a waste of time and money. I bought the last of the stock that was at the GM obsolescence warehouse but they are long gone.

I googled today and there are a lot of US postings showing GM dealers that supposedly have them but they DON'T. I had a request around 3 weeks ago for a set and I called everyone on the lists and they all said they are now obsolete. The lifters showing up on eBay are all for the Suzuki cars and they are NOT correct. Forget the GM part number. They don't exist - especially 16 of them at once.

There are 4 listed on eBay US for $26.00 EACH but postage to the UK is $46.00 for quantity 4 + $25.88 import charges, so not much better than the Lotus price which come with a warranty AND still only 4.

There is a posting elsewhere on LEC about cleaning and massaging them so they are quiet again and if your originals don't have any wear on the cam contact area, they do that and reuse what you have.

You have a PM

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby simonbuk » Mon 18.09.2017, 23:08

Ok cheers, I'm hoping I can re-use mine but the head hasn't been taken off yet.
Last edited by simonbuk on Fri 22.09.2017, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Tue 19.09.2017, 09:19

:agree:
You can take them apart, and after careful inspection if the mating surface between ball and valve seat are not damaged, have them ultrasonic cleaned and prime them again without air enclosures.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 19.09.2017, 21:58

Agree that ultrasonic cleaning is ideal but Wynn's Carb & Fuel Injector Cleaning Spray does a very good job, instantly available and cheaper... I buy mine in quantity from Eurocarparts when they have a 50% off Flash Sale - and they deliver free of charge.
Have cleaned up Ford CVH & Vauxhall lifters successfully but never had to do M100 yet... though one is a bit slow and rattles for about 30 seconds on start up so I can see that may need doing if an oil change doesn't sort it..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Tue 19.09.2017, 22:27

lotusflasherman wrote:...... though one is a bit slow and rattles for about 30 seconds on start up ......

A bit like you getting out of your tent for an early morning pee :lol: :lol:

Have you tried the injector cleaner you add direct to the tank Phil ?
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby HJ2 » Wed 20.09.2017, 07:54

... but that only cleans the injectors, not the lifters.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Return to Engine