High oil pressure - feedback needed :)

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

High oil pressure - feedback needed :)

Postby ebguitars » Sun 12.11.2017, 20:11

Hello folks,

Ive had my Elan for about 2 years, it has 76.000kms and the engine is all stock with the excepcion of an open type K&N filter.
I have not used the car for the last 2 months, when I took it out yesterday I noticed a couple of things, and I really do not know if they are related or not, as I sincerely have no idea about engines.

The first thing was that the oil pressure gauge was exeeding high. At idle it marked 6-7 and when I stepped on the gas it went up to 8-9. I immediately turned back to my garage and stopped. I only did about 2 kilometers. I popped the hood and everything seemed fine, but I noteced a slight smell of burnt (no smoke at all) and I also heard a "bubbly" noise, like if some liquid was making boiling sounds. The engine coolant is on its mark and checking under the car there are no leaks nor anything strange.

What could be the reason for such a high oil pressure and that bubbly boiling noise?

I attach a pic of my engine bay. Thanks for your help!

1992 (LHD) Pacific Blue Elan
ebguitars

Re: High oil pressure - feedback needed :)

Postby Steve A » Sun 12.11.2017, 20:24

If there's a problem with your engine the oil pressure would normally drop and the engine temperature would
dramatically rise :shock: ( you didn't mention engine temperature ) :poke:
You could be suffering from "it hasn't run for a while have I broke it syndrome " :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby ebguitars » Sun 12.11.2017, 20:53

Thanks, the temperature gauge marks OK within the limits, there is no issue with that.
What could be the cause for this high oil pressure measurements be?
I hope its that sindrome that you mention :)
ebguitars

Postby Rambo » Sun 12.11.2017, 21:44

Isn't that normal ? Oil pressure going up as you accelerate or increase rpm :smt017

I'll check tomorrow
Rambo
RosBœuf

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 12.11.2017, 22:03

Oil pressure does seem a bit high. Mine runs at about 5.0 at high revs, at tick-over about 2.5, but I've done about 160,000km. It is normal to increase with engine revs, but only to a certain point: there's a pressure relief valve which kicks in: this may have stuck.

It is also possible you have a faulty voltage regulator: are the boost gauge and volt meter reading (reasonably) accurately?

As the car has stood for 2 years, I would suggest you carry out a complete oil and filter change with a thorough flush and then check pressures. Have you looked at the state of the oil? (look on dipstick and in filler cap).

Some thoughts to take to your mechanic (as I assume you won't be diy-ing)
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby tb10 » Sun 12.11.2017, 22:17

John,

it was 2 months, not 2 years!

Otherwise, sound advice. :cheers:

Regards

John
tb10
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 12.11.2017, 23:38

The Manual says Oil Pump Relief Valve opening pressure should be 5.0kg/sq cm (or 71 psi) but the Gauge is marked in bar so it's actually 4.9 bar :banghead:

Mine, which has only done 55k miles, runs at 5 bar at tickover. (Manual says minimum is 0.35 bar :lol: )
op tickover.jpg

but does run higher at higher revs when the oil is cold but I've never made sense of the graduations between 5 & 10 bar ... is the centre one 7.5 so others are 6.25 and 8.75 ????
op.jpg

I've fitted a digital temp gauge on the oil cooler pipe so I'm careful not to 'boot it too much' until the oil is warm as my main concern is 24 year old oil cooler and pipes.

Yours does sound high so I'd check the Oil Pump Pressure Relief valve plunger isn't stuck.
oil pump.JPG

Oil Pump is driven off the front of the crankshaft behind the crankshaft pulley and the plunger spring is behind this plug ..
OP relief valve.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Mon 13.11.2017, 08:58

Ebguitars,

The weather is cold (it was warm 2 months ago), you only did 2km. Was your engine up to temperature ie at least 1/4 on the temperature gauge before you checked the oil pressure?

Simple fluid dynamics - oil is a much much thicker when it is cold so takes more pressure to move it around the engine.

Let the engine tick over until the fan comes on then report back what the oil pressure is.

Phil,
If you haven't changed your oil pipes just do it anyway - the rubber shrinks under the swage so you can't tell until it happens... The hose comes off. Cheap piece of mind and a good winter job.
Simon_P
God

Postby rip » Mon 13.11.2017, 09:40

Rambo wrote:Isn't that normal ? Oil pressure going up as you accelerate or increase rpm :smt017

I'll check tomorrow

Yes. On both my cars the oil pressure gauge shows 2-3 bar at idle then 4-5 bar with the engine running at around 2000rpm upwards.

As mentioned by Simon, it take more pressure to pump a thicker (more viscose) fluid than a less viscose one. You can notice a drop if you change oil from a 10W/60 to a 0W/40.
Does the gauge use the same transducer as Elanscan? It may be worth getting that out if you have access to it.
How long did you run the engine for & how old is the oil? If it has settled a bit, you may have some thick stuff around the gauge. If this is the case, a good run followed by an oil change may help.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby ebguitars » Tue 14.11.2017, 00:19

Thanks for al these comments, I appreciate it. The first thing I will do this weekend is let the engine run for a while so that the Car gets up to its normal temperature. I freaked out when I saw the gauge so high that I barely drove the car for 3-4 minutes. In the last 9 months I have calculated that I have put no more than 80 km. I have barely started and used the car during almost 1 year. Maybe the problem comes from its non use... the weather now in Spain is about 10-15C, so its also a bit cold.
I will get back to you after the weekend. Thanks and this forum is the best!
ebguitars

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 14.11.2017, 12:29

Simon_P wrote:The weather is cold…

Maybe where you are, but it's a pleasant 22°C where we are. 8)
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 14.11.2017, 19:18

GeoffSmith wrote: Maybe where you are, but it's a pleasant 22°C where we are. )

I know :offtopic: but OK, don't rub it in. I was in Cap d'Agde replacing the kitchen units 2 weeks ago and it was 27°C, almost too warm to work. Came back to UK and it feels like it would add lightness to brass monkeys ... :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Tue 14.11.2017, 20:42

GeoffSmith wrote:
Simon_P wrote:The weather is cold…

Maybe where you are, but it's a pleasant 22°C where we are. 8)

Well it was a comfortable 32 where I was last week, and will be next week.

The difference is that I have to work in a comfortable 32 so that you lot can sit by the pool, or fit your kitchen units in the manner to which you are accustomed, and I have to keep going until I'm a hundred and three.
Simon_P
God

Postby ebguitars » Sun 19.11.2017, 21:14

So, I drove the car for around 50 km today, and after around 20 minutes, the oil temp fell into place. It basically just needed warming up.. I guess I am not used to driving in cold weather. so, im a happy camper. Thanks for your help and tips!
ebguitars

Postby Steve A » Sun 19.11.2017, 22:21

ebguitars wrote:So, I drove the car for around 50 km today, and after around 20 minutes, the oil temp fell into place. It basically just needed warming up.. I guess I am not used to driving in cold weather. so, im a happy camper. Thanks for your help and tips!

You could be suffering from "it hasn't run for a while have I broke it syndrome "

It comes to us all :lol:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Return to Engine