2 cylinder Elan

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

2 cylinder Elan

Postby elaverick » Mon 16.04.2018, 13:00

So on the latest episode of help the mechanical idiot... I currently have a 2 cylinder Lotus.
My wife took it for a run to the supermarket last week, just a quick 5 mile jaunt. Ran fine all the way there, but when she started it to come back it was making a terrible noise (misfiring).
Sure enough sitting at home its making a bloody awful noise, so I called out the AA on homestart to find out if it's safe to drive to a garage.
Having had a good dig around, it turn out that its failing to fire on cylinders 1 & 3. Spark is good, plugs have been swapped to check them out (no difference). There's good compression (comparable to 2 & 4) on the faulting cylinders, but the plugs are staying dry.

I thought head gasket initially, but as the AA fella pointed out, why is it failing on two cylinders that aren't adjacent to one another. He suggested maybe an injector failure, but if that's the case, then why would two fail simultaneously.

I have a feeling regardless of the problem it's going to mean a trip to Williams Automotive, but does anyone have any pointers as to what I might be looking at (so I can get an idea of cost as much as anything), and whether or not it would be safe to limp it either the 13 miles to the garage or the 3 miles it would need for the AA to recover me the rest of the distance.

All suggestions gratefully received.
elaverick

Re: 2 cylinder Elan

Postby HJ2 » Mon 16.04.2018, 13:16

My bet is on either an injector failing (2 injectors share part of the harnass so 2 cylinders fail) or a coilpack failure (waste spark ignition) so if one pack fails, 2 cylinders are gone as well.
The good thing is: Coil pack failure and injector failure result in 2 different cylinders failing, so with your description you are pretty much able to determine the cause of the failure.
The bad thing is: I can never remember what root cause is connected to what cylinder pairs :-D

Somebody will show up soon explaining it better then me and WITH the correct info to get you sorted. Meanwhile you could do a search on this on the forum as well to help you out. I am pretty sure it's on here somewhere :burnout:

Both repairs can be done in situ by any moderate experienced mechanic!
Also: Start by checking and re-torquing all of the bond straps on the engine, intake, coil packs and fuel injectors!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby wayne » Mon 16.04.2018, 13:34

Coil packs are for 1&4, 2&3 Wiki
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Mon 16.04.2018, 13:43

So it must be an injector then. :-)
Check bond straps and unplug one injector at a time to find the defect one.
I would replace them all if they are the root cause 8)
HJ2
God

Postby Bern » Mon 16.04.2018, 13:59

Just had a look at the electrical manual and it looks like, for the injectors, 1 and 3 are connected and so are 2 and 4. So it definitely looks like the injector wiring.

However as both have failed I'd check the connectors and wiring before replacing the injectors, as both have failed I'd say it's likely to be the electrical feed to them rather than the injectors themselves. But, I've never had a problem with an injector so not had to look at them!

Electrical manual

The wiring diagram is about 1/2 way through, Engine Management, not sure if your's is an NA or turbo, but there are different wiring diagrams. I assume the turbo diagram is the one after the NA (the heading is cut off).
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 Land Rover Discovery TD5
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby elaverick » Mon 16.04.2018, 14:17

Thank you all so much for this. I'm probably going to wuss out and get the Williams to fit it for me (unless it's a stupidly simple thing to fix), does anyone have any idea about the sort of price I'd be looking at for parts and labour on something like this?
elaverick

Postby Simon_P » Mon 16.04.2018, 14:38

Before you wuss out, try what HJ2 says and unplug injectors 1 and 3 one at a time. Also check the harness connector... It's simple and free!
Simon_P
God

Postby elaverick » Mon 16.04.2018, 15:28

Simon_P wrote:Before you wuss out, try what HJ2 says and unplug injectors 1 and 3 one at a time. Also check the harness connector... It's simple and free!

That's a price I like and a skill level I can aspire to :)
I'll give it a go tonight.
elaverick

Postby alan e » Mon 16.04.2018, 19:37

And when its fixed don't let the wife drive it, then it wont go wrong ever again :D
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 16.04.2018, 20:33

Elaverick,

Many moons ago i had the same problem, and it took me many more moons to sus it out (and advice from a guru who inparted words of wisdom, which worked wonders)....

Basically, there are things you can check to establish if it is the injectors themselves, or the wiring to them...

First, turn on the ignition, but don't start the engine (or try to).

Then stick your head under the bonnet over the injector rail.

Open the throttle by hand (on the cam where the throttle cable operates).

You should hear each of the 4 injectors 'click' in turn - this is an inbuilt diagnostic for the ECU, but it doesn't seem to appear in any of the Lotus workshop manuals. Basically, they each energise and the click is the ball-bearing moving through full travel.

If one injector fails to click, then the issue is "probably" with the injector itself - but if 2 fail to click, then it is "probably" the wiring to the rail.

With mine, it was the multi-connector block at fault - there are 3 of them just in front of, and below the coolant reservoir - one of these blocks connects the fuel rail to the wiring loom (I can't remember which one it is, off hand).

I wiggle of the block and wires soon had all 4 injectors clicking correctly, and then i fired up the engine and all was good.

Having discovered the location of the fault, i turned off the engine, disconnected the block completely, cleaned up all terminals with a good spray of contact cleaner and fine wet/dry. Then put it all back together.

It is still going strong to this day - i don't know if damp had got into it in the past from an overflowing (or poorly topped-up) coolant reservoir, or elsewhere, but it obviously got there somehow.

It may or may not help you, but it is a simple (and free) check to make.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby HJ2 » Mon 16.04.2018, 21:32

:bowdown:
HJ2
God

Postby rip » Tue 17.04.2018, 00:37

I have had 2 fail in the last 2 years so, when the second went, I had a good idea what the problem was.
As Dave points out, you can hear them clicking. You can also hear them with the engine (trying to) tick over but you will need a stethoscope or long screwdriver touching each injector in turn with the other end to your ear to hear them.
There is a good guide to replacing them on the Wiki & it took me around 90 minutes to change all 4. It is a bit fiddly but certainly achievable.

I used replacement parts from Rock Auto but be careful: I am not sure if they have corrected it but they listed the same part for NA & Turbo. This one is wrong for the turbo. They also list another, more expensive, one for the turbo only which is correct.
I now get a slightly lumpy idle at cold but otherwise it runs fine & seems to be more economical than it did with the old injectors.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Simon_P » Tue 17.04.2018, 03:46

Rip did you reset the Ecu and adjust CO after the injector change? Sounds like it might be a bit lean.
Simon_P
God

Postby elaverick » Tue 17.04.2018, 18:33

@dapinky
Thanks for the tip. I’ve tired as youve suggested and I can definately hear 3 clicks. However the bit thats confused me is after disconnetcing injector 1 and trying again AND doing injector 3 and trying again (after reconnecting 1)... Im still hearing 3 clicks. I’m assuming the cylinders are numbered left to right sequentially here.
We’ve got Tom Day fuel injector services nearby so I might drop the car into them and see if they can assist.
Thanks for everyone’s help with this. It’s greatly appreciated
elaverick

Postby rip » Tue 17.04.2018, 22:07

Simon_P wrote:Rip did you reset the Ecu and adjust CO after the injector change? Sounds like it might be a bit lean.

I thought it may be a bit lean.
I have reset the ECU a couple of times. I have not adjusted the CO but it has since been through an MOT & the emissions were normal.
1990 SE
rip
God

Return to Engine