Is the American turbo engine an interference engine?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Is the American turbo engine an interference engine?

Postby dkellis » Wed 11.07.2018, 03:40

I can hear the groans already, given that this thread goes back more than a decade, but a San Diego guy is shopping for an M100 and has seen conflicting opinions online.

If the cam belt breaks, does the American turbo motor break?

The only thing I see in the Lotus Service Notes for the model is in the Precautions section in "EC.4 - CAMSHAFT DRIVE BELT", to whit: don't rotate the crankshaft or camshafts with the belt removed or damage may be caused to the valves and pistons. (This has been previously quoted in this forum.)

Thanks,

Dave Ellis

PS: Being a belt and suspenders guy, I just had the 120K service (including cambelt) done on my car, at 98,000.

Update: after some more searching I found the "Timing belt" topic which provides the answer...from years ago. Thanks to Brit-Car-Nut, among others. -Dave
Redwood City, CA
dkellis

Re: Is the American turbo engine an interference engine?

Postby tedtaylor » Sat 25.08.2018, 14:59

Y E S !!!!!!
why the delay in answering this?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'66 Elan S2 DHC
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Postby sideways » Sat 25.08.2018, 18:01

Dunno, but the Japanese turbo engine is... :D

Doesn't necessarily mean a disaster, last time it happened to me (907 engine) the car was in the driveway, idling and when the dust settled, I only had 12 bent valves. :o
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Tinkerer

Postby John_W » Sat 25.08.2018, 22:56

Ouch!
It looks like I was lucky when my timing belt on a 907 engine slipped a couple of teeth (worn camshaft pulleys and wrong cam belt tension). I only ended up having to replace the belt and one valve (on a Jensen-Healey). I was still appalled at the cost!

As far as why it’s taken so long to reply, I think it’s a case of stating the obvious. But you’re right - somebody should have said yes.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Return to Engine