Possible CAS issue. Not fixed?

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Possible CAS issue. Not fixed?

Postby Wallzaveerz » Wed 01.08.2018, 22:24

Evening all. I bought my elan last Sunday, I knew it had a 'misfire' but after doing some research and speaking to the seller I was fairly convinced the misfire was actually the 4000rpm limit.

I bought it as such and drove it 220 miles home from Cardiff. EML illuminated for the duration of the journey but apart from the 4000rpm limit it drove faultlessly including horrendous rain and long periods of standing traffic.

I bought a new HES and changed it tonight, I also discovered the pin in the CAS drive shaft had broken in half so have replaced this too, there is now no play in anything. I've put the CAS back where it was but that may be wrong, the car has clearly been worked on in this area recently.

It started straight away and does run sweetly, it did however only manage a couple of full sweeps to the redline before the EML was back on and the 4000rpm limit was back in full effect. Could this simply be a symptom of the timing needing resetting now or have I still got a bigger issue to solve? Also do I need to actually clear fault codes to stop the limiter and is it worth me disconnecting the battery for a few hours?
Wallzaveerz

Re: Possible CAS issue. Not fixed?

Postby Simon_P » Wed 01.08.2018, 23:05

What are the fault codes?
Use Elan Scan or the paperclip method - see wiki

1 reset the Ecu learned values and erase fault codes by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds
2 set the base timing - see wiki
3 Adjust idle - see wiki
4 go for a drive
5 if the CEL comes on read the codes and post here
Simon_P
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 01.08.2018, 23:42

As above...

I would add that you should check the wastegate to make sure it isn't "stuck".

If it sat without being driven for any time in the past, the shaft could have rusted and it now isn't working.

The WikiLEC has a section on the wastegate and the wastegate wiggle.

You should also check the vacuum lines serving the wastegate and the wastegate controller.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Wallzaveerz » Sun 12.08.2018, 15:51

Okaaaay. So not having much luck here. As per my original post I've changed the HES and fixed the broken pin in the CAS. I thought that would solve it......nope! Did the paperclip trick and it was throwing up about ten different codes, to my detriment I didn't make a note of what they were. I followed advice on here and checked the wastegate, all appears to be ok. The CEL comes on after a minute every single time, it's perfectly fine for a minute then throws up the light and limits the revs to 4000 rpm. Today I thought I'd cracked it, discovered two of the wires to the HES had pulled out of the plug, thought "finally a definitive issue". Got a fresh plug, wired everything in, disconnected the battery. 1 minute later CEL illuminates and 4000rpm again! However I'm only getting one fault code now. 15. Help meeeee
Wallzaveerz

Postby Rambo » Sun 12.08.2018, 16:02

For fault codes, see here..... http://wikilec.com/view/Fault_Codes

Fault code 15 relates to the coolant temperature sensor (CTS) If you had a multitude of fault codes and disconnected the battery all will now be lost so carry out the paperclip test periodically to see what else comes up

In 15 years of Elan ownership and 3 separate cars I have only ever had 1 error code that rectified itself before I could investigate further :smt023
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Wallzaveerz » Sun 12.08.2018, 17:17

Could an issue with the temp sensor cause it to throw itself into limp mode?

I do know there was a code 51 in the plethora of codes I had last time. That's terminal isn't it?

It's got an aftermarket exhaust and I keep reading about potential over boost issues but it's throwing the light on without me touching the throttle. Can't over boost on tickover.
Wallzaveerz

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Sun 12.08.2018, 19:41

Hi from memory there are 2 cts 's as such one for water temp for gauge and cooling fans , the other is for the ECU. Sj sportscars have them, get the one for the esprit same sensor 70 quid for the elan one . 20 quid for the esprit one. I had a similar problem and it cured my car :-D I think the procedure is in the wiki for changing it.
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Wallzaveerz » Mon 13.08.2018, 18:12

It's the CTS. Quick investigation tonight has revealed the plug flapping around unattached, and it's doing that because the plug part of the sender and the terminals are gone. Smashed or rotted to oblivion who knows, but not there! So my next question is, do I need the sender from a 2.2 esprit or one of the V8 variants or are they all the same any way?
Wallzaveerz

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Mon 13.08.2018, 19:12

1993 onwards part no A9196928F just found my receipt from SJ sportscars. :D which is the part no in the wiki under CTS
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Wallzaveerz » Mon 13.08.2018, 19:23

lotustonybassplayer wrote:1993 onwards part no A9196928F just found my receipt from SJ sportscars. :D which is the part no in the wiki under CTS

Thank you, you are a superstar. Hopefully then I can concentrate on making it look pretty. Once I've evicted the fish from behind the drivers seat! :?
Wallzaveerz

Postby dapinky » Mon 13.08.2018, 21:16

The CTS is also a 'common' part as fitted to various Nissans and Daewoos of the period....... give me a chance to look and i'll find the part number (they were about a tenner last time I looked.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby dapinky » Mon 13.08.2018, 21:27

Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Wallzaveerz » Tue 14.08.2018, 14:04

Should really check back on here more frequently. I'd already ordered the Esprit one from SJ. Could have saved myself twenty quid! Still money well spent if it cures the issues. Fingers crossed.
Wallzaveerz

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Tue 14.08.2018, 14:42

No I'm afraid you would have wasted your money on the fuelparts ws1037. I bought that one thinking it was the correct one after several recommendations , but it is the wrong thread size I guess it works electrically but it does not fit in the housing ! That's why I bought the one from SJ's. PS I still have the part if you want to try it you are more than welcome to have it.
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Wallzaveerz » Tue 14.08.2018, 22:36

Thanks for the offer but I've already ordered it from Steve. Should be here tomorrow I expect.
Wallzaveerz

Postby Wallzaveerz » Thu 16.08.2018, 19:14

New sender fitted. No change! This could become something of a saga. :banghead:
Wallzaveerz

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Thu 16.08.2018, 19:32

Hi, you say you fixed the broken pin are you sure you have no movement in the CAS. my CAS had been "fixed"in the past with a drill bit for the pin. I posted a video of it on the LEC facebook page last year . I had to buy a replacement CAS that fixed my problem, which was very similar to your issue.
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Wallzaveerz » Thu 16.08.2018, 19:42

It's absolutely solid as a rock. It's still throwing up code 15 and only that code. There is some odd wiring going on too. The temp sender on the thermostat housing, I assume this is for the gauge, has had another wire spliced onto it. This wire then appears to go to a relay on the ns inner wing, this relay also has 30amp fuse. Looks like a bodge but I've no idea what for.
Wallzaveerz

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Thu 16.08.2018, 19:57

maybe a take off for a manual over ride for the rad fans. There are 3 sensors at the housing. CTS- rad fans- temp gauge. have you any voltage at the CTS plug ? I don't what it should be though ! the other thing to do would be a continuity check between the CTS plug and ECU.
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Wallzaveerz » Thu 16.08.2018, 20:19

There's no manual override that I can see. Certainly no extra switches on the dash. I'm happy it's not the CAS sensor now as there's no code 41. If I had to guess I would say someone with a bit of knowledge has seen the broken CTS for the ECU, seen the price of the parts and has attempted to con the ECU by taking a feed frome the gauge temp sender and in doing so is upsetting the ECU into going into limp mode. It's definitely the result of the car doing a self assessment as it happens after exactly a minute every time, so is obviously a result of a cycle of some description. I just hope if that's the case it hasn't done permanent damage to the ecu, although I would expect that to throw up a relevant code if it had.
Wallzaveerz

Next

Return to Engine