New Oil Pump

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Dave Eds, Nige, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover

New Oil Pump

Postby hate » Tue 24.05.2016, 10:26

Hi everyone!
I have problem with the oil pump.
I need to buy a new oil pump for my Lotus Elan M100.
I can't find it anywhere!
If anyone knows where i can buy a new one, I would be grateful!
Thank you!
hate

Re: New Oil Pump

Postby HJ2 » Tue 24.05.2016, 10:43

What is wrong with your current one? Too much wear?
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby hate » Tue 24.05.2016, 11:14

Exactly HJ2!
Imagine that in idle the oil pressure is zero and the oil light is on!
I have the oil pump out of the car and the mechanic said that is damaged!
hate

Postby dapinky » Tue 24.05.2016, 11:50

hate,

If you look on Rock Auto website, they list 2 makes of oil pump (both for the Impulse engine) - but are currently stating that they are out of stock. - they list the same pump for the Turbo & NA engines though......

I googled the part numbers and came up with this seller in USA who is also out of stock. :( (but lists it at a good price!).

SJ sportscars do not have it listed on their website at all.

Lotus (deroure) website shows a different model for the turbo engine than the NA (A100E6402S) and lists it at £160 as a 'factory order'.

Is it definitely the pump at fault or could it just be a blockage at the strainer in the sump? It may be worth taking the sump off and checking before replacing the pump which *may* be okay????

A search on Google (using the Lotus part number) brings up a German seller (priced in Euros, and may be better for Greece than buying from USA) at autohaus-haese.de/cms/upload/lotus/E-Broschren/Kunden_Preisliste_Lotus_08-14_2.pdf
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby hate » Tue 24.05.2016, 12:42

Hi dapinky,
First of all thank you for your detailed reply!
I found that the oil pump from Isuzu Impulse is AISIN OPG-006, which as you said it is not available any more.
Then i searched more and i found that the same oil pump has the Isuzu Stylus!
There are wxactly the same with mine!
The oil pump code is AISIN OPG-004 and i found it in Ebay from USA in a decent price.
But my question is,is the same for turbo and NA or not?
Have the same oil pressure?
Good advice to check the sump.I 'll do it!

dapinky wrote:hate,

If you look on Rock Auto website, they list 2 makes of oil pump (both for the Impulse engine) - but are currently stating that they are out of stock. - they list the same pump for the Turbo & NA engines though......

I googled the part numbers and came up with this seller in USA who is also out of stock. :( (but lists it at a good price!).

SJ sportscars do not have it listed on their website at all.

Lotus (deroure) website shows a different model for the turbo engine than the NA (A100E6402S) and lists it at £160 as a 'factory order'.

Is it definitely the pump at fault or could it just be a blockage at the strainer in the sump? It may be worth taking the sump off and checking before replacing the pump which *may* be okay????

A search on Google (using the Lotus part number) brings up a German seller (priced in Euros, and may be better for Greece than buying from USA) at autohaus-haese.de/cms/upload/lotus/E-Broschren/Kunden_Preisliste_Lotus_08-14_2.pdf
hate

Postby HJ2 » Tue 24.05.2016, 13:15

That's why I asked.
If there is no excessive wear (threshold is in the manual) then the problem is not the pump itself.
Speaking of which... How is the oil pressure sensor? :-D
HJ2
God

Postby hate » Tue 24.05.2016, 13:21

:) :) I havent checked the sensor but the gauge seems to work fine.
When you press the gas pedal the oil pressure in the gauge, increases!
So i suppose that both sensor and gauge works fine!

HJ2 wrote:That's why I asked.
If there is no excessive wear (threshold is in the manual) then the problem is not the pump itself.
Speaking of which... How is the oil pressure sensor? :-D
hate

Postby HJ2 » Tue 24.05.2016, 13:27

Not if there's an offset. Then it responds, but is not accurate.
However, 0 bar on idle is worry enough to investigate properly!
HJ2
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 24.05.2016, 14:12

Parts Manual says Turbo uses pump A100E6402S & NA uses pump A100E6401S

I don't know what the difference is, or why, does anybody know? -

(Update: Spoke to Kelsport who said annulus & rotor used to be available to refurb both pumps and while talking went through pump components and difference seems to be only item 19.
Relief Valve Plug A100E6408S Turbo, A100E6409S for NA so major components are common to both.)

A Goggle search on A100E6402S gave me Aisin OPG006 Engine Oil Pump for Isuzu Impulse 1.6L l4 Gas DOHC Turbo, & 1.8L l4 Gas DOHC
and a Google search on Aisin OPG006 gave me OIL PUMP - ISUZU (8943314750)
Google search on ISUZU 8943314750 brings up several options...

Seems to be available here but not sure if that would be Turbo or NA...
www.xportautoparts.com/oe-isuzu/8943314750

Don't know if that's any help...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Tue 24.05.2016, 14:34

Looking in the Aisin catalogues online (various versions availlable, but 2014 is the newest i looked at) there are different listings for various Isuzu models....

.... P94 of the catalogue shows that the Impulse Turbo requires the 006 model, whilst the NA one uses the 003 (and the Stylus uses various other varients).

I can't find any technical specs on them, but would expect the basic units to be the same, but the springs and any valving is probably the difference :?:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 24.05.2016, 14:42

dapinky wrote:Looking in the Aisin catalogues online (various versions availlable, but 2014 is the newest i looked at) there are different listings for various Isuzu models....

.... P94 of the catalogue shows that the Impulse Turbo requires the 006 model, whilst the NA one uses the 003 (and the Stylus uses various other varients).

I can't find any technical specs on them, but would expect the basic units to be the same, but the springs and any valving is probably the difference :?:

Seems just to be just Pressure Relief Valve Plug, 19 on 40.15A of Parts Manual. Spring, valve & seal are common to both. What's the point of that?... :banghead:
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 24.05.2016, 14:44

hate wrote:I found that the oil pump from Isuzu Impulse is AISIN OPG-006,
The oil pump code is AISIN OPG-004

The OPG-006 is a heavier duty pump for the turbo while the OPG-004 is much lower quality and it is for the non-turbo models like the Geo Storm.

Remember, the Turbo probably spends more time at high engine revs and under a higher load than the NA and you need positive oil pressure all the time.

The only pump I would use is the correct OPG-006 / A100E6402S.

When I was looking to store up some spare parts, I looked at the oil pump and I believe I found the pump gears are different (thicker) between the turbo and non-turbo versions.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 24.05.2016, 15:02

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:
hate wrote:I found that the oil pump from Isuzu Impulse is AISIN OPG-006,
The oil pump code is AISIN OPG-004

The OPG-006 is a heavier duty pump for the turbo while the OPG-004 is much lower quality and it is for the non-turbo models like the Geo Storm.

Remember, the Turbo probably spends more time at high engine revs and under a higher load than the NA and you need positive oil pressure all the time.

The only pump I would use is the correct OPG-006 / A100E6402S.

When I was looking to store up some spare parts, I looked at the oil pump and I believe I found the pump gears are different (thicker) between the turbo and non-turbo versions.

According to the Parts Manual the M100 turbo & NA used the same pump but with just a different Relief Valve Plug (item 19), for some unknown reason. All other components are common to both, so reckon NA used OPG-006 too.

pump.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 24.05.2016, 15:34

That was my thought when I decided not to get the GEO pump. All of the other components (including the different plugs) are now obsolete at Lotus. Even the NA pump is now obsolete.

The GEO Storm used TWO different oil pumps that both look the same in pictures, but the DOHC version is a different part number and not as common.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby simonbuk » Mon 04.03.2019, 22:27

So rather than start a new thread - has there been any new developments on this ?

What happens when one fails - can they be rebuilt ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Return to Engine