When to line up timing marks?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

When to line up timing marks?

Postby madbilly » Sun 24.03.2019, 18:02

Hi all,
Quick question, to which I think I know the answer but I'm having one of those days...!

When replacing the timing belt should the markings on the pulleys line up before or after tensioning?

Cheers :)
madbilly
Fanatic

Re: When to line up timing marks?

Postby Simon_P » Sun 24.03.2019, 18:44

Belts don't stretch much so it should be fairly consistent.

If the head has been skimmed that would make a difference.

It is easy to get the crank pulley one tooth out, so if they don't line up, line them up and check the crank pulley marks.
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Sun 24.03.2019, 18:46

Maybe this will help Billy ?

http://wikilec.com/view/Cambelt-change
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby madbilly » Sun 24.03.2019, 22:15

Hi both,
Thanks for your advice. Took some fiddling but I think they're lined up now after tensioning. I'l I'm not very confident on the tension so I'll check it and the markings again tomorrow.
Cheers,
Will :)
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby John_W » Mon 25.03.2019, 10:35

I always mark the old belt and the pulleys with tippex before I release the belt tension. That way it’s easy to verify that the new belt goes on exactly the same. If there’s any doubt, just count teeth between the markings and ensure the new belt has the same numbers between the pulleys.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby madbilly » Mon 25.03.2019, 11:20

John_W wrote:I always mark the old belt and the pulleys with tippex before I release the belt tension. That way it’s easy to verify that the new belt goes on exactly the same. If there’s any doubt, just count teeth between the markings and ensure the new belt has the same numbers between the pulleys.

John

That's a great tip! I did find this by searching for the forum but only after I'd already taken off the belt.

Anyway, I am fairly comfortable with the timing marks lining up, but will check again this evening. For the tension I found this tricky - 10kg force on a finger or thumb is quite a lot at arms length when trying to also view the belt perpendicularly to observe the deflection! tonight I will try pulling the belt upwards with a luggage weight-scale, but that could also be tricky at arms length! Unfortunately I don't have a convenient 10kg weight lying around... my daughter is away for a few days! :D
madbilly
Fanatic

Return to Engine