A tale of torques... (timing belt etc)

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: A tale of torques... (timing belt etc)

Postby madbilly » Sun 14.04.2019, 20:44

Phew!
I finally got it all done, whoop! That took about 5 months - is anyone tracking record times for completing jobs?!

Getting the right tension on the drive belts proved quite irritating, I was never happy but decided to just try it and see. During the test drive it all sounded good, no whining.

The tip I read somewhere about putting the space saver on the front-right side of the car for good access to the crankshaft bolt was very helpful.

Only real problem I have now is working out why I have a ~1/4" ball bearing and a ~4mm diameter ~1cm long spring left over! :? They were lying underneath the car when I finished and I cannot figure out where they might have come from.

I hope my next job doesn't take as long... but during the test drive I realised that I need to get new suspension - I reckon that will at least all of next winter! :cry:

Cheers :)
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Sun 14.04.2019, 21:35

You can find a spring in the belt tensioner...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby madbilly » Mon 15.04.2019, 08:07

Hi HJ,
That's a long one though isn't it? ~1cm diameter and ~5cm long? I definitely put that one in! :D

If I have time tonight I will take photos and measurements. I just had a search through the parts list and I can't see anything which I think corresponds to this spring, never mind the ball bearing. Maybe the ball bearing is from my bike maintenance...

madbilly
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 15.04.2019, 15:48

madbilly wrote:Hi HJ,
That's a long one though isn't it? ~1cm diameter and ~5cm long? I definitely put that one in! :D

If I have time tonight I will take photos and measurements. I just had a search through the parts list and I can't see anything which I think corresponds to this spring, never mind the ball bearing. Maybe the ball bearing is from my bike maintenance...

If it's a small spring and ball bearing check your socket tools - they have a spring loaded 'captive ball' to hold the socket on ... some of mine have escaped from well used tools.. ( Now wait for the Rambo comment about my 'well used tool' ... :lol: )
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby HJ2 » Mon 15.04.2019, 15:55

Sadly the spring in my tool is gone as well...
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby madbilly » Tue 16.04.2019, 08:43

:lol:
Good tip, thanks, I'll check my socket wrenches.

madbilly
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Engine