TIMING BELT KIT

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Dave Eds, Nige, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover

TIMING BELT KIT

Postby chinko » Wed 31.10.2007, 14:29

Hello,I'm triying to find timing belt kit to my lotus elan m100,but here in Spain were i live its impossible find it.
Regards.
chinko

Postby dapinky » Wed 31.10.2007, 16:36

Hola Chinko,

Timing belt kits are easy to obtain from the USA, and Rock Auto is the company who many of us use for these type of things. They post to Europe (in about a week), are cheaper than the UK, and accept PayPal for payment.

I assume that Spain has it's own regulations concerning import tax, so i don't know how that would affect you.

Please find below a list of the commonly used parts, and how to order them. (Forgive the 'computer lesson' included, but the reply was originally sent to a big-footed builder who knows more about sledgehammers than computers :D )

The easiest way to find all the bits is to go onto their site at www.rockauto.com, then click the big red button.

Click onto ‘Isuzu’

Then ‘1991’

‘Impulse RS’

This will confirm that you’re looking at the 1588cc turbo 4-cyl motor and give you lots of options.

Click ‘Engine’

Then ‘timing belt’ which will give you about half a dozen options

I went for the GATES one (part number T169) - (add it to the basket)

DO NOT click the back button or you have to start again! then go onto the timing belt tensioner bit and make your choices – some of the makes are listed separately for the idler and tensioner, some have it all in one box! (‘Timing belt component kit’ on the menu) – Gareth went for the separate ‘Beck and Arnley’ ones, I went for the DAYCO #84103 (all in one box!)

Back up the ‘menu tree’ to the ‘cooling system’ section

Click on ‘Water pump’ (7 choices!) – I went for the Beck/Arnley (as did Gareth), but Kmckmc has fitted the cheapo ‘A1 Cardone’ remanufactured one without any problems.

The ones I got came with the gasket, so you don’t need to order one separately, although they are listed.

If you want to, there are 15 different thermostats listed as well, but bear in mind that RockAuto do not have a single warehouse, so items may be shipped separately from different places – this may make a cheap thermostat comparatively expensive in the long run!

It is worth playing with the final shopping basket a bit to see if it will make any difference.

I have used their ‘standard’ delivery service (FedEx) and never been hit for duty, Gazza used the ‘priority’ service (UPS) and got stung for a few quid by HM C&E.

Either way, the engine stuff took about a week to arrive, and the rear callipers were here in 4 days!

I’m sure that any of the parts they sell are more than adequate for the job, but I went for the ‘recognised names’ when the option allowed, and if it was good enough for Lotus OE, it’s good enough for me.

Hope this helps
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

belt kit

Postby chinko » Fri 02.11.2007, 19:10

thank you very much..¡¡¡
I need it now...¡¡¡ jjajajajajaja
Best regards
chinko

Postby nitroman » Mon 05.11.2007, 00:25

If you are overseas and carriage is a major factor; sticking with a single manufacturer (like Bendix, for example) will pair your shipments to a SINGLE warehouse = 1 shipment!

As someone who does 99% of his own labour, I get the best parts I can (especially in this instance!). Here it's hard to tell. Dayco is also the supplier of Pep Boy's branded parts, so I'd skip them and probably go with ACDelco, who has GM's reputation to shoulder.

Belts have been the beneficiary of MAJOR technological advances in material however, since our car was made. I'd hope any of these belts would be superior to the OE one.
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Re: TIMING BELT KIT

Postby mrtwisty » Fri 10.05.2019, 18:27

Thread ressurection! (Is 12 years a forum record?)

I was wondering if anyone has used this site recently and can vouch for its parts?
mrtwisty

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 10.05.2019, 19:30

Yes, forum members use Rock Auto regularly.
Good reputation, include vat and shipment, but you may need to pay import duty.
I've just ordered 2 kits and a belt myself. Usually very quick delivery too.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Simon_P » Fri 10.05.2019, 20:26

Don't forget the discount code
Simon_P
God

Postby mrtwisty » Fri 10.05.2019, 20:42

Thanks FJ, good to know.
mrtwisty

Postby mrtwisty » Fri 10.05.2019, 20:42

Simon_P wrote:Don't forget the discount code

What's that now!?
mrtwisty

Postby Rambo » Fri 10.05.2019, 20:49

mrtwisty wrote:
Simon_P wrote:Don't forget the discount code

What's that now!?

Rambo
Don't push me

Postby mrtwisty » Sun 12.05.2019, 10:12

Excellent, many thanks folks!
mrtwisty

Postby NewLogik » Sun 19.05.2019, 22:52

Skip Dayco if you can, specially in terms of the timing belt kit. They aren't that bad, however there's better quality parts available and not going to cost much more or maybe would be arround the same price.

**EDIT** As a side note, this comment is based on my experience working on many different 1.6T 4XE1WT motor over the years and this also including Lotus Elan motors as well. That said, the Dayco brand have been inconsistent in terms of reliability with rollers and tensionners and this isn't being specific to these engines... . However, the timing belt itself didn't had any issues. So I do prefer to get rollers and/or tensionner from other brands.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't put any confusion here.
NewLogik

Return to Engine