Leaky Water Pump

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Leaky Water Pump

Postby Richmmm » Thu 21.07.2022, 10:00

Following my car's successful MOT, the tester and myself were having a good look underneath at the engine and pipes etc.

He pointed out some water at the cambelt end of the engine dripping down. I mentioned that I suspected I had a water leak so it seems that the pump may be the culprit.

Reading the posts on here, the cam belt needs to come off, so it is best to replace it at the same time. Rock auto has been recommeded as a source for the parts - just checked their web site and they do a Timinng belt kit which includes the idler wheels and a water pump. Do I need any other parts from Rock auto while i am doing the order?

Is the crankshaft pulley likley to be difficult to remove?

Regards, Rich
Richmmm

Re: Leaky Water Pump

Postby Saltire » Thu 21.07.2022, 11:20

It would be wise to replace the auxiliary drive belt (alternator/power steering pump) at the same time. Dave Pink (pinky) has a list of the exact parts required from Roack Auto and will no doubt be along in a moment with a copy :D

Two words of warning
    - some people have found that the water pump requires a little bit of grinding back in order to make it fit properly. I wasn’t affected, and I think it depends on what make of water pump you buy. There are threads discussing it elsewhere on the forum
    - some have also found that they’re better with a slightly different length of auxiliary belt. I did, but unhelpfully I can’t remember whether it was a bit shorter or a bit longer. I know I had the same one as Jim (muley) so he might know

There are other people on the forum who are far more qualified than I to talk about this, and who will no doubt add their wisdom in due course, but I hope that’s a bit of help.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S

. . . and on the hunt for an interesting daily driver!
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby muley » Thu 21.07.2022, 12:54

Approached properly the crank pulley bolt can be removed fairly easily. I use a suitably shaped section of steel tube bolted to the pulley to hold it steady and set to with a breaker bar.
I have used the wedge a socket and lever, crank the engine method as well (but I don't prefer it)
Pulley can be pulled off with 3 leg puller

If you order a Rockauto Impulse alternator belt it will be too long. A 4pk700 ish will work on the M100 Elan ~ easily available on eBay.
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3
muley

Postby Richmmm » Thu 21.07.2022, 13:10

Thanks for the info.......I will get a PAS pump belt and the alternator belt aswell.

Rich
Richmmm

Postby muley » Thu 21.07.2022, 13:43

This https://youtu.be/osBhwSw3VBk

might be useful, too
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3
muley

Postby dapinky » Thu 21.07.2022, 14:31

Saltire wrote: Dave Pink (pinky) has a list of the exact parts required from Roack Auto and will no doubt be along in a moment with a copy :D

This is the list of stuff I bought last time (2 years ago) - prices have changed, but it will give you an idea of what you need (but ignore the cam cover gasket, I wanted a spare to put in the garage!)

RA 2020.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Richmmm » Thu 21.07.2022, 17:47

Looking on the Rock Auto site, it lists a Tming and water pump kit as part number USTK169

Is this the one i need?
( a search for the part number on your last post - 95169K1 didn't show any results)
Rich
Richmmm

Postby FunElan » Thu 21.07.2022, 18:38

Richmmm wrote:Looking on the Rock Auto site, it lists a Tming and water pump kit as part number USTK169

Is this the one i need?
( a search for the part number on your last post - 95169K1 didn't show any results)
Rich

Rich - I had purchased the rockauto kit by the brand 'US MotorWorks' and found that the water pump teeth had the wrong profile. Not sure if this would happen for everyone, but I returned the kit, and ended up finding a Dayco kit on eBay.
FunElan
Enthusiast

Postby Simon_P » Thu 21.07.2022, 20:50

There is an 'O' ring on the end of one of the metal pipes and the coolant return pipe nearby the pump on the block. Worth a check before you change the pump.
Simon_P
God

Postby Richmmm » Fri 22.07.2022, 23:24

I've been searching everywhere for the Dayco kit without success.

Rock Auto only now supply the USTK169 kit - however it is about half the cost of buying the parts from
SJ etc.

Has any one in the UK bought the USTK169 kit from Rock Auto? I dont really want to have to return it if it is wrong.

Regards, Rich
Richmmm

Postby FunElan » Fri 22.07.2022, 23:56

Richmmm wrote:I've been searching everywhere for the Dayco kit without success.

Rock Auto only now supply the USTK169 kit - however it is about half the cost of buying the parts from
SJ etc.

Has any one in the UK bought the USTK169 kit from Rock Auto? I dont really want to have to return it if it is wrong.

Regards, Rich

See above, I did, and the water pump had incorrect teeth. YMMV
FunElan
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sat 23.07.2022, 09:35

I have never bought a 'full' kit with a waterpump as part of it, only a 'timing kit' and separate water pumps.

Many years ago I did get a water pump which had the wrong teeth on it, and it appears to have come from a bad batch at the time.

If that is the only kit you can currently get, then your a bit limited in options - but I wouldn't do it that way at all.......

...... whilst getting it all in one box is clearly simple, if you order the parts from RA individually, it works out far cheaper (even allowing for shipping from 2 separate locations).....

I have played around with options, and the below "shopping list" is what I would start with - there is a cheaper water pump option, but it ships separately so has increased handling/import costs.... but as the Gates unit is in the same warehouse as the other bits, it becomes better value to spend a bit more on the pump and save overall.

Putting in a UK address shows that I can have the whole lot on my doorstep on 1st August for £88.45 including VAT, import duties, shipping etc - or even a few days earlier if I pay an extra £15.

RA list.png

This doesn't include any other bits (PAS/Alternator belts, thermostats, anything else you fancy adding) - so you may have to play around with the whole thing to see which options of those parts will also ship from the same location, and then decide if it's worth adding them.

What I do is simply add EVERY option of item to my basket - so in the above list I had 3 timing tensioners, 4 idlers and chose a couple of belts from the list, then added 3 water pumps - ignoring either the ridiculously expensive ones, or any which I feel may be crap quality...... if you go with Gates etc you are on fairly safe ground.

Then pulling up the cart it will show you which items are in the same warehouse, so I throw out anything which ships separately and narrow it down to a couple of options - then see whether it is better to pay more for an item with less shipping, or get a cheaper item and pay more shipping..... it always varies..... either way, it's how I do it - but it's your choice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Richmmm » Sun 24.07.2022, 20:54

Thanks to everyone for the info and comments.
I will get the order processed early in the week.
Rich
Richmmm

Postby 378S2 » Sat 06.08.2022, 05:17

I’m due a cam belt next year, so this is very helpful thank you - will order the parts now.

One question - are we all changing the pumps, tensioners and idlers just because the incremental effort (time and $$) is marginal or because there’s a measurable benefit? My car will be lucky to have done 5,000 km since the last set went in and I really do think I’m wasting my time and money (but I’ll do it anyway!).
378S2
Enthusiast

Postby Tuga2112 » Sat 06.08.2022, 09:03

378S2 wrote:I’m due a cam belt next year, so this is very helpful thank you - will order the parts now.

One question - are we all changing the pumps, tensioners and idlers just because the incremental effort (time and $$) is marginal or because there’s a measurable benefit? My car will be lucky to have done 5,000 km since the last set went in and I really do think I’m wasting my time and money (but I’ll do it anyway!).

mostly incremental effort. HOWEVER. IMO a failed pump is an (silent) engine killer, the risk reward gamble for the price of a new pump is practically a no brainer, even tho your old pump should be in perfect condition (assuming the coolant was not mixed in with tap water and started to rust the pump)
If i was pressed for money, i would still put a new pump and skip the iddler and tensioner. BUT if i was pressed for money, i wouldnt be doing the belt at all and just keep the car off the road until money wasnt a problem.

just my 2c
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby 378S2 » Sat 06.08.2022, 09:17

I think that’s fair. I’ve just bought the full Monty from RA using Dave’s part numbers. I know the last set of tensioners & idlers that went in were OEM Lotus parts from SJ, so I may well leave them alone if they are in good condition. The water pump though I’ll change regardless.
378S2
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sat 06.08.2022, 10:51

When I got my elan (the first one!) it needed a head gasket, so it made sense to just research the system and do the whole lot.

The tensioner and idler are not considered to be 'service items' and don't have a regular change interval, but everything I read on t'internet suggested that they have a life of 80-100K miles (for other cars of the era), and my red car had just shy of 120K on the clock - so I decided to change them at the same time.

They will wear with mileage, not so much with age, so I now tend to replace them on any car with an unknown previous change (whatever the mileage) and thenceforth just change the belt in accordance with the schedule.

Again, the water pump isn't considered to be a 'service item' but as it's failure could be a real bummer, together with it's ease to change whilst doing the belt anyway compared to doing it at a different time, it just makes sense to me to do it at the time - they are cheap enough to make it a no-brainer (and it ensures that the coolant is changed anyway, as opposed to just topped up over time).

If you have a known to be good set of idler/tensioner, then doing just the pump and belt makes perfect sense.

As for the PAS/Alternator belts - I just do them as they are cheap and I don't want to be doing them again another time! (but probably don't need it).
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Return to Engine