Hydraulic tappets

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Hydraulic tappets

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 14.10.2017, 19:30

Best of luck. It is a complicated, simple task (or is that simply complicated) - if you know what you are doing.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Simon_P » Sat 14.10.2017, 20:48

There is a write-up on how to clean them somewhere here. Try that first.
Simon_P
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 14.10.2017, 21:08

You still need to remove the cams to get to them to clean them.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby bbjon » Tue 17.10.2017, 10:41

Hi,

I did this job very a couple of months ago - if you're methodical it's not to bad. As the cams will be coming off it is a good time to pop a new belt on - in the grand scheme of things they aren't expensive and access to the engine mount bolts is so much easier if you don't have the cam pulleys in the way.

If you're determined to not change the belt you can bodge it in finest backstreet garage fashion - zip tie the belt to the cam pulleys before you remove them keep the belt taught and pray it doesn't slip on the crank pulley.
(I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS PAIN WOE AND SUFFERING MAY ENSUE)

Just recharging the tappets didn't seem to make any difference on my car none of them felt spongy when I took them out so It's worth giving them a proper clean.

When it comes to cleaning the tappets - It's worth stripping them completely down. I used a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and did one at a time using a magnet to keep all the bits together - keep an eye on the tiny spring and ball valve. If you need any help with stripping them there are plenty of vid's on Youtube or I can pop out to the garage and take some piccies of one of my spare ones in pieces.

cheers

Jon
bbjon
Tinkerer

Postby RonR » Sat 21.10.2017, 11:26

Thanks for the tips guys,

The best video I've seen so far is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySf0r8GGMOY - It's not Lotus / Isuzu specific, but I'm sure all HVLs are similar.

It might be imagination playing tricks but I gave my son a lift to work yesterday and the tappet noise sounded slightly quieter..... Fingers crossed, I might get away with it!
RonR
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Sat 21.10.2017, 12:21

I've got the video clip for recharging the Lotus HVLs, but as it is slightly over the 2Mb limit for this site I can't add it here.

If it is of any help to you, feel free to give me your email address and I'll send it to you.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby RonR » Sat 21.10.2017, 13:24

Thanks Dave,

PM Sent...
RonR
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Sat 21.10.2017, 16:19

Email sent :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 23.10.2017, 17:12

Both videos are now included in my Manuals link:

The youtube video is "Lifter (tappet) Cleaning & refurb - with verbal instructions" http://www.lotusm100.com/manuals/Lifter ... ifters.mp4

The Short Video Dave mentioned is "Lifter (tappet) Cleaning - Silent" http://www.lotusm100.com/manuals/Lifter ... charge.mp4

They appear to concur on the process but the verbal version gives a lot more information and detailed "How to" video.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Previous

Return to Engine