Only 5 years to go

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Only 5 years to go

Postby mikecg » Sat 04.03.2017, 22:50

:!:I have just completed my first ever cam belt change and it was on an M100. A baptism by fire . Fortunately with the YouTube video and the great posts on the forum nothing was a surprise but it did enable me to be successful . Feeling very pleased with myself :D :clap: :cheers:
mikecg

Re: Only 5 years to go

Postby steve matthews » Sun 05.03.2017, 01:16

:clap:
steve matthews
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 05.03.2017, 01:25

See if you can get to 60,000 miles first ... :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby clemo » Thu 16.03.2017, 20:54

Well done that man ...
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby rip » Fri 17.03.2017, 10:52

mikecg wrote::!:I have just completed my first ever cam belt change and it was on an M100. A baptism by fire .

:agree:
There are harder cars out there, but certainly a lot easier ones too.
Must be satisfying to know you have completed it.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby HJ2 » Fri 17.03.2017, 11:16

Top work!
I recognise myself :-) My first HGJ (all jobs actually) was on the Elan as well!
Couldn't have done it without this superb forum and its members :clap:

Enjoy the spring now!
:burnout:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Fetnas » Sun 26.03.2017, 05:05

There must be something in the air as I too have just done my first M100 Timing belt! Talk about tricky access, had to modify an L end key to get the engine mount plate off as there just wasn't enough space for the full sized 8mm key. I also did the water pump. The seals were fine and no play in the bearing, but the fins on the pump were heavily corroded. Still would have had plenty of life in it, but a sensible change all the same. The Airtex pump I got needed to have the corner filed off it to fit as has been discussed in another part of LEC.

The old belt looked fine, it had been changed before but I'm not sure when. I was changing it due to the age, not the distance traveled on the belt. The idler and tensioner bearings had a little play in them, so it was good to get them changed over too.

Happy driving Mikecg :burnout:
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway
Fetnas
Enthusiast

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Sun 09.04.2017, 12:00

Definitely something in the air , completed my first ever cambelt change thanks to Toby' video :D but it still did not stop the expletives and questioning the parentage of the designers :mrgreen:
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Fetnas » Mon 10.04.2017, 12:47

Unfortunately I've ended up with a small leak in the cooling system. I had pressure tested the system before I started and tightened up a few clamps so I knew I was starting with a sealed system. But due to having to fiddle with filing the corner off the pump to get clearance, I must have damaged the gasket or it hasn't seated properly. So with the after pressure test (before refilling with coolant) the gauge falls, slowly, but it shouldn't fall at all!

The real pain is that I'd put everything back together except for tightening the aux belts and replacing fluids! If only I'd though to pressure test it before I put the timing belt on! Oh well, at least it should be easier the second time now I know how to get to the bolts and the order to do things in :banghead:
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway
Fetnas
Enthusiast

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Mon 10.04.2017, 14:57

I went if it ain't broke don't fix it . The water pump bearing felt fine so did not change it. Time will tell if it was a wise decision :roll:
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Fetnas » Wed 12.04.2017, 10:59

I suspect mine was the original pump, the bolts were loc tighted in! It felt like I was stripping the threads as I was undoing them! The pump wasn't leaking and has only a small amount of play, less than the idler and tensioner. The main problem with it was the corrosion of the impeller. All the plating was gone and the fins were quite corroded. It would have still pumped, but would have certainly lost some efficiency! I had my suspicions that would be the case as when I first drained the cooling system a number of years ago, there was a lot of suspended red dust in the fluid!
DSC_0480.JPG

Sure it's a pain, but worth the effort considering the difficulties working on this area of the car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fetnas
Enthusiast

Return to Engine