Engine warning light, high Rev tickover?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Engine warning light, high Rev tickover?

Postby mwboyd » Tue 28.03.2017, 19:30

My '91 SE Turbo has developed a problem this morning. When I started her up the revs on tickover after firing was 1600+ then touching 2000. Assuming it still had just post winter SORN blues, I set off and after a coupl of minutes and no reduction in tickover revs, the amber engine warning light came on. Driving at a steady 50-70 and accelerating through the gears seemed OK, but slowing in traffic brought the high rev problem back. Switched off, started up again, same problem - high tickover, Amber light on after a minute or so. Only had the car since August and put 800 miles on that have been fine till now. Am hoping this isn't too serious. Any suggestions...? Do I need to get an Elanscan and plug it in to find error codes etc, or are there things I can try to fix it first?
mwboyd

Re: Engine warning light, high Rev tickover?

Postby rip » Tue 28.03.2017, 19:56

The ECU knows something is wrong. You don't need Elanscan to ask it what. There is always the paperclip method.
Hopefully this will give you something to work with.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby mwboyd » Fri 31.03.2017, 15:52

Ok - thanks for the tip there Rip. I've now successfully employed the paper clip method you suggested and it's showing an error code 15! " Low Coolant Temperature (relative to other measurements)
Tricky to sort....? Any advice appreciated!

rip wrote:The ECU knows something is wrong. You don't need Elanscan to ask it what. There is always the paperclip method.
Hopefully this will give you something to work with.
mwboyd

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 31.03.2017, 16:09

There's a Wiki page for that too.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby mwboyd » Fri 31.03.2017, 16:50

Cheers for that Geoff. So the way I'm reading that, it should be a "straightforward" part replacement to sort the problem?

GeoffSmith wrote:There's a Wiki page for that too.
mwboyd

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 31.03.2017, 18:47

It should be if you follow the instructions and don't overtighten it.

Before you replace it though, I'd check that the wiring is OK as the ECU is detecting an open circuit (which it interprets as the coolant temperature being colder than a cryogenic cooler) so try grounding the CTS lead and you should hear a noticeable change in tickover as the ECU thinks it is as hot as it is here in Spain and adjusts the fuelling.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Return to Engine