Gear lever spring

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Gear lever spring

Postby PIT-STOP » Fri 23.06.2017, 20:09

Hi, having got my Elan out for the summer I have found that the gear lever no longer has any centring spring pressure. It selects fine, and works fine, but I have to forcably push the lever in and out of every gear. I imagined that there was a spring somewhere that centres the lever normally, but can;t find this. Can someone tell me what has happened please and how easy a fix it is please?
Thanks.
PIT-STOP

Re: Gear lever spring

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 24.06.2017, 19:00

PIT-STOP wrote:Hi, having got my Elan out for the summer I have found that the gear lever no longer has any centring spring pressure. It selects fine, and works fine, but I have to forcibly push the lever in and out of every gear. I imagined that there was a spring somewhere that centres the lever normally, but can;t find this. Can someone tell me what has happened please and how easy a fix it is please?
Thanks.

It depends on which shift cables you have installed. Maybe the cable connections at the gearbox got moldy or rusted. A-B cables were notorious for not centering because there was excess friction at the cable connections at the gearbox.

If you have Bob B. Cables or my cables, then it is possible a rod end (heim joint) has failed. If you have S2 or stock cables, then read on.

The best way to figure it out is to disconnect the cable from the cross-gate lever at the gearbox. Pivot the lever by hand and if it snaps back to the center (3/4th gears position), then it is a problem in the cables, shifter in the cockpit or shifter housing.

If it doesn't snap back, carefully, remove the snap-ring from the pivot pin and withdraw the Cross Gate lever and make sure the plastic bushes are still viable. Look for any other issue that would hinder the lever's motion. Reassemble. Using a little bit of grease.

More info and maybe some pictures of the shifter cables at the gearbox might provide some insight.

Cables at Gearbox.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Return to Engine