ECU broken or other fault?

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: ECU broken or other fault?

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 22.08.2017, 03:43

Not a problem, I downloaded an app called 'Unpacker' that got it back to being an .ecu file.

Quick Elanscan Tutorial ....
Click on 'Open File' icon to load your .ecu file.
2nd line down is "+ ~~ Faults" ; Click on the + sign to open up the Fault Codes. If there are any held it will read ON. All yours are showing OFF
I entered 'Engine Run Time' as X axis parameter & IAC Position as 1st Curve Parameter and got this ..
Capture1.JPG

Then added 'Engine Speed' as the 2nd Curve Parameter and got this.
Capture2.JPG

If you click the 'Cursor' Button and move your mouse onto the graph you'll see a Y axis line at a particular point in time and all the values in the left column change as you move the point in time with the mouse ...
Just keep playing and you'll see what's happening in there ...

It's really useful stuff ...
Your IAC is producing a graph very different to any of mine but I think something you should look at is the Vehicle Speed Sensor, which is mounted on the back of the speedo. This feeds info to the ECU to control the IAC and EGR

You say "This download was done with the car idling with the occasional revving up whilst static in the garage." but the VSS shows readings up to 22 mph ... could be the IAC is working correctly but doing strange things because the VSS is telling it to..

Capture3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 22.08.2017, 07:27

Oops should have Googled rar before posting! :oops:

Thanks Phil and John
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Giniw » Tue 22.08.2017, 12:49

lotusflasherman wrote:You say "This download was done with the car idling with the occasional revving up whilst static in the garage." but the VSS shows readings up to 22 mph ... could be the IAC is working correctly but doing strange things because the VSS is telling it to..
:agree:
That surprised me, too.

Fredjohn > indeed rar is a compression file format just like zip (or bz2, etc)
Giniw
God

Postby peter123 » Tue 22.08.2017, 19:23

Thanks for the tutorial Phil, very good of you to do that i now have an insight into what to do with elanscan, as for the speed showing even though the car is static i think this maybe because the car is up on axle stands with the drive shafts and front suspension removed, i noticed the speedo go up when i revved the engine even though it is in neutral, i had a look at the nearside output from the gearbox and it does turn when the engine is idling, my motorbike does the same when i run the engine and the rear wheel turns when it is off the ground on it's centre stand.
peter123
Tinkerer

Postby alan e » Tue 22.08.2017, 19:42

Are you sure its ok to run the engine with the drive shafts removed you would have lost a lot of gearbox oil when you removed them, if as you say you see the output shafts moving so must the gears inside the gearbox be moving with very little oil in it.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby peter123 » Tue 22.08.2017, 20:04

I have had the engine running only a few minutes in short bursts, i have managed to get just over one litre of gearbox oil in without it running out of the drive shaft hole, hopefully with it just turning slowly it should be ok, but the rebuilt drive shafts and suspension are going back on next. but you are right it maybe isn't the best idea without the full amount of oil in the gearbox.
peter123
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 22.08.2017, 23:36

peter123 wrote:Thanks for the tutorial Phil, very good of you to do that i now have an insight into what to do with elanscan, as for the speed showing even though the car is static i think this maybe because the car is up on axle stands with the drive shafts and front suspension removed, i noticed the speedo go up when i revved the engine even though it is in neutral, i had a look at the nearside output from the gearbox and it does turn when the engine is idling, my motorbike does the same when i run the engine and the rear wheel turns when it is off the ground on it's centre stand.

Ah, that explains the VSS issue then - the "static in the garage" rather 'led me up the garden path'.. :banghead:
I'd recommend you do one job at a time as Alan's right about running engine with driveshafts out ... Elanscan shows 420 seconds, which is 7 minutes, hardly a 'short burst', though at least you're not putting any load through the transmission but running it like that is still not something I'd do.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Previous

Return to Engine