running temperature ?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Re: running temperature ?

Postby dapinky » Sat 21.10.2017, 09:14

Saltire wrote:..... which leads me to wonder whether S2s on the whole run a little cooler.

Probably because they are the 'Eco' version, with low power :twisted: :twisted:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Simon_P » Sat 21.10.2017, 09:21

Just about any modern car has a non linear temperature gauge. What you are looking for is consistency.
So long as the reading is the same when the thermostat opens and when the fans come on it matters no what it reads. It doesn't do anything.

Kathryn,
So that the temp and fuel gages give consistent readings they are fed by a voltage stabiliser which provides a constant 10 volts. If this drifts for example only providing 9v then gauges will be consistent but correspondingly lower.
Both gauges reading lower is a strong pointer towards the voltage stabiliser. There is a write-up somewhere that says how to check and change and it gives the generic part number. Only a couple of quid but but it might not be worth the bother if you are OK with it as is.
Simon_P
God

Postby Kathryn » Sat 21.10.2017, 13:40

Giniw wrote:Yes that's not what I meant, I did understand you needle moves but you said it's mostly under the 1/4, which seems a bit low compared to my car (and most of the cars here if I am not wrong).
So if I were you I would check the actual running temperature with elanscan just to be sure.
(In any case, nothing to worry about since a thermostat is a really cheap item.)

Sorry Giniw, I misunderstood.
I'm not saying there isn't something wrong and I probably ought to get it checked.
Just driven home from work and I noticed before I started the car the needle is under the very bottom mark to start with. With such small increments this would make a difference to the reading I guess - I also thought if you are taller and looking at the gauge from a higher angle the needle will look higher!! I actually think I have an invoice for a thermostat in the previous owner's paperwork so it may already have been replaced.

Simon P, it is certainly consistent and that's why I wasn't worried.

Sorry Jeff, my seemingly innocent comment seems to have taken over your thread! :lol:
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Sat 21.10.2017, 19:15

Actually Kathryn, if you're taller and looking down at the needle it will appear lower :wink:

You are relatively wee and will be looking at the needle from a different angle so the temp gauge will appear higher than it actually is

What we really need is for El Geordie to develop a digital temperature gauge and then it won't matter what angle we view it from :wink:

Group buy anyone ?

1. Dico (3)
2. Monty (1)
3. Ex Exige (Jackodicko) 1
4. TrueBlue (count me in for 6, just in case)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Saltire » Sat 21.10.2017, 20:19

Rambo wrote:What we really need is for El Geordie to develop a digital temperature gauge and then it won't matter what angle we view it from :wink:

I seem to remember that at one stage Our Spanish Correspondent was developing a piece of electrickery which linearised the relationship between gauge and sender; I never did hear if it went any further . . .
Jonathan

Elan S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Fiat Panda 100HP (aka the rollerskate)
BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (aka the workhorse)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Postby Saltire » Sat 21.10.2017, 20:23

Jonathan

Elan S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Fiat Panda 100HP (aka the rollerskate)
BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (aka the workhorse)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire

Postby Rambo » Sat 21.10.2017, 20:27

Saltire wrote:
Rambo wrote:What we really need is for El Geordie to develop a digital temperature gauge and then it won't matter what angle we view it from :wink:

I seem to remember that at one stage Our Spanish Correspondent was developing a piece of electrickery which linearised the relationship between gauge and sender; I never did hear if it went any further . . .

I think Espana got in the way. Oh, and the old heart deciding it was going to play funny buggers :(
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby jeffreyt » Sun 22.10.2017, 19:44

Kathryn,no problem,I have found all the comments really interesting.
When I get time I think I will take out the thermostat and test it just for my peace of mind.Looks an easy job.
jeffreyt

Postby Giniw » Mon 23.10.2017, 15:39

You don't really need to take it out, it's very visible with elanscan on the water temperature curve when it's opening.
Giniw
God

Postby woodcock » Tue 24.10.2017, 03:07

John, the wiring diagram steered me in the right directions as did the other advice. First checked the cooling fan relay it was OK. Than pulled the wire cap off the cooling fan temp switch, grounded the cap and with the ignition on the fans came on, with the ignition off the cooling pump came on. So ordered a new switch.
woodcock

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 24.10.2017, 03:13

Good to know. Good Luck with the new car.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby RonR » Wed 25.10.2017, 14:35

Woodcock - A word of warning - Echoed from various Gurus on here....

The CTS has a tapered thread - Make sure the thread in the Thermostat housing is clear of crud and don't over-tighten the new sensor as the housings are easy to crack and new or even second-hand ones are as rare as rocking horse poo.

Cheers,
Ron
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby woodcock » Wed 25.10.2017, 18:06

Ron R Thanks for the advice. Someone else also mentioned this & recommended using green plumbers tape on the threads so as not to require "torquing" too tight.
(trying to increase my message inputs to graduate out of newbie status)
Ron
woodcock

Postby RonR » Wed 25.10.2017, 20:19

Hi Ron - Great name, by the way.....

Edit: Just realised you're not changing the Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) but the Coolant Fan Switch - which doesn't have a tapered thread AFAIK.

I wouldn't use PTFE tape as it's a very good electrical insulator, and you need the fan switch to earth through the housing. There are some thread sealers available which conduct electricity for just such situations.

Cheers,
Ron
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 25.10.2017, 23:25

Ron is replacing his original switch with one of Rodney Dickman units that has a separate ground/earth.

The pictures make it look to be tapered. I have not looked closely at one.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Previous

Return to Engine